Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My youngest went away to college today.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
TheQuig

TheQuig

My youngest went away to college today. Empty
PostSubject: My youngest went away to college today.   My youngest went away to college today. EmptyAugust 18th 2019, 7:24 pm

Today we dropped my daughter off at Stevens University. She is already not liking it. We knew this would happen as she had her heart set on either Dartmouth or Vanderbilt. Her roommate shows up on Wednesday and is a friend of hers from high school so we feel by Wednesday she will start to enjoy it more. Her RA is also a former student from her high school that my wife taught when she was in that school.
Walking out her dorm, you can see the Empire State Building and the New World Trade Center. I know for now she is lonely but her brother went to the same University and now works 2 blocks away from the campus. It will work out in the long run. Her major is Biologic Chemistry. She plans on becoming a doctor.

pup

PostSubject: Re: My youngest went away to college today.   My youngest went away to college today. EmptyAugust 19th 2019, 9:23 am

I bet she will end up liking it. She'll be fine.

Now thay you've got them all move out, pack up and move...lol
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: My youngest went away to college today.   My youngest went away to college today. EmptyAugust 19th 2019, 11:14 am

Our 21 year old still lives with us. He will attend trade school in September for 1 year. My wife still needs 1.5 years to get full pension and medical, so we are stuck for at least that time.

PostSubject: Re: My youngest went away to college today.   My youngest went away to college today. EmptyAugust 22nd 2019, 6:02 pm

It's tough to retire without medical benefits socked away. I occasionally read stories about 35 year olds "retiring" with a couple of million dollars and I wonder if they miscalculated. It's one thing to pay for medical coverage in your 30's and another to pay for it in your 60's. I'm looking forward to medicare but even that doesn't pay for everything.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: My youngest went away to college today.   My youngest went away to college today. EmptyAugust 22nd 2019, 7:29 pm

Yes. You automatically get part B with your Social Security, it's mandatory. Part B only covers hospital. So you have to buy part A, C, and or D. They take $120 month out of my SS check.

PostSubject: Re: My youngest went away to college today.   My youngest went away to college today. EmptyAugust 24th 2019, 11:22 pm

College can a trying time. New experiences and worried about having fun while not getting in trouble. When I came to college in 2002 I lived with my sister. It sure made the transition easier but I feel like I missed something not living in the dorms. I stayed with her for 4 months and then she moved so I went to an apartment close to campus.
Im sure once she gets settled in she will enjoy it. Having a roommate you already know and like will make it much easier.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: My youngest went away to college today.   My youngest went away to college today. EmptyAugust 25th 2019, 11:57 am

She is starting to enjoy it more as time goes by and she is hanging out with people in her major. She can live with my sister and son but that means a 25 minute train commute. My son works 2 blocks from the college but can't afford rents in that town. At least $2,000 a month for a bedroom and share the house with 3 other people. My sister lets him stay rent free as he helps her with things she can't do as she is getting up in years. She told me that he is her son now as he has lived with her the last couple of years but comes home to us on weekends. For my daughter to stay with her it would mean taking a train at all different hours with her class schedule. As any first year student she is freaked out with her classes, but she has had most of them in her advanced high school. She will do fine.

PostSubject: Re: My youngest went away to college today.   My youngest went away to college today. EmptyJanuary 10th 2020, 12:55 pm

How is everything going now?
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: My youngest went away to college today.   My youngest went away to college today. EmptyJanuary 10th 2020, 5:37 pm

She just today left for her new college in Rome, Georgia. She liked campus life and seeing Broadway plays a lot but quickly realized that she would have a far better chance of getting into medical school by going to Berry College. She flew down twice to check it out, and we have visited the campus twice while in Georgia visiting our friends. My wife drove down with her and will fly back Monday morning. She just wasn't challenged enough. Her first school, Stevens University has a 33% acceptance rate into med school. Berry college has a 96% acceptance. Tuition is less expensive, scholarships are a little higher. It will be tough on her until she settles in. Berry has the largest acreage of any campus in the U.S. Really a nice school for serious students.

PostSubject: Re: My youngest went away to college today.   My youngest went away to college today. Empty

Back to top Go down

My youngest went away to college today.
Page 1 of 1