Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Gun Control

Go down 
+6
TheQuig
joemac
Hilux
theshyguy
Charlie in TX
ggbaird
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
TheQuig

TheQuig

Gun Control - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   Gun Control - Page 3 EmptyMarch 1st 2016, 5:42 pm

I've had too much time to think while waiting for my hand gun permits. Glock 42 ? 43? or 26? It has got to be a good concealed carry.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   Gun Control - Page 3 EmptyMarch 2nd 2016, 10:45 am

I'd have to shoot them all back to back to make a comparison.
The 26 might be a tad big for concealed too.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   Gun Control - Page 3 EmptyMarch 2nd 2016, 11:20 am

26 may be too big, I'll have to get to a shop and see how big they are. It is a single stack. The more I look, the more I want different models.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   Gun Control - Page 3 EmptyMarch 2nd 2016, 11:28 am

That's my problem. I want all of them.

I do like the smoothness and light recoil of the 42 though.

I want to shoot the 43 to see if its a jumpy little bitch or not too.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   Gun Control - Page 3 EmptyMarch 4th 2016, 3:28 pm

Last night I sold my shotgun to a neighbor who has an in with the police department. He called his friend up and my permits were ready today. Now to shop/shoot and see what feels good.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   Gun Control - Page 3 EmptyMarch 5th 2016, 9:04 pm

I called every decent size shop in a 50 mile radius today. I drove out to a store about 75 minutes away and managed to buy a flat earth G 42. Now the problem is the State Police are behind in their background checks. I waited 3 hours and they said won't happen today it will be ready on Monday. Gave a deposit. It was the last one they had, the guy in line in front of me wanted the same model, but they had already put it aside for me after calling first. I can see I will need an extension, but I really like the overall size. $440 plus tax and a $15 background check fee. The 43 felt good in my hands but all the reviews state that it does jump more than the 42 but is still nice to shoot.
Back to top Go down
joemac

joemac

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   Gun Control - Page 3 EmptyMarch 6th 2016, 11:16 am

Gun Control - Page 3 2484002174
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   Gun Control - Page 3 EmptyMarch 7th 2016, 8:14 pm

Gun Control - Page 3 Glock_zpsqwrnjlrq
Back to top Go down
joemac

joemac

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   Gun Control - Page 3 EmptyMarch 7th 2016, 11:02 pm

Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   Gun Control - Page 3 EmptyMarch 8th 2016, 10:44 am

Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   Gun Control - Page 3 EmptyMarch 8th 2016, 4:21 pm

My wife really likes the fit. I may have to get her permits give it to her and buy the G 43 for myself. She has to make up her mind quick, my permits for myself are good for only 90 days and then you have to ask for a renewal.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   Gun Control - Page 3 EmptyMarch 8th 2016, 5:55 pm

I can give you a permit to move to TX. Then you won't ever need another gun permit again.

We are still somewhat free out here.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   Gun Control - Page 3 EmptyMarch 8th 2016, 6:16 pm

My choice is to move to Texas in 3 years when my last one leaves for college. My wife prefers Georgia but isn't against moving to Texas.
Back to top Go down
theshyguy

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   Gun Control - Page 3 EmptyMarch 8th 2016, 10:27 pm

What part if Texas you thinking?
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   Gun Control - Page 3 EmptyMarch 9th 2016, 7:44 pm

No idea as of yet. We had to stay in Houston for a competition at NASA about 3 years ago and it was too hot and actually reminded me of where we live on the coast a little. I prefer the mountains and cool weather, but my wife is done with cold winters. We need to take our trailer and go out for a month or longer when school lets out.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   Gun Control - Page 3 EmptyMarch 10th 2016, 11:03 am

You get a couple hundred miles inland from the coast and the humidity drops to tolerable levels. Its still going to be hot in TX, but not steam your nuts hot like Houston.

East TX has all the trees, some rolling hills, etc...
Ft. Worth on west is wide open spaces. The panhandle is flat and the wind is non stop, but it's only 6hrs from some great mountains in Colorado/New Mexico.

Hill Country west of Austin and San Antonio is nice, but its getting overrun with liberals. Austin has been lost to them for years.

I like the area SW of the DFW Metro area around Glen Rose and down toward Lampassas.

It would take months to see all of it.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   Gun Control - Page 3 EmptyMarch 10th 2016, 1:22 pm

Thanks for the info, a lot to think about there. To get my wife to move there, it is helpful to know what the places are like instead of just driving to destinations hoping to find what we like. She is more geared for Georgia where her friend lives and she is there close to 3 months out of the year. But as I said, she is open to input.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   Gun Control - Page 3 EmptyMarch 10th 2016, 5:42 pm

Today I put the Pearce extenders on. First one was a nightmare, spring flew off and I had to watch a video to see which way the spring went back in. Second one took about 30 seconds to install. Much better feel.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   Gun Control - Page 3 EmptyMarch 10th 2016, 6:09 pm

pup wrote:
It's more acceptable than small. She got a pair of the Pearce Grip extenders for the magazine's. Those helped quite a bit. That and a extended slide stop. Makes it easier to thumb the slide closed when swapping magazine's. Breeze to replace both.

I can see now that the extended slide stop if my wife uses this 42. I have to work the spring more as it is difficult for me to release the slide sometimes.
Back to top Go down
joemac

joemac

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   Gun Control - Page 3 EmptyMarch 10th 2016, 6:31 pm

It will loosen up as you get some miles on it.  Mine were difficult at first as well to get the slide into the open locked position.

This also makes the slide release/tear down buttons difficult.  Technique helps.  To tear it down, pull the slide back about a 1/4", push the slide releases down.  There's a palm orientation holding trick that makes it easy.  Four fingers across the top of the rail near the rear sight.  Thumb in the beaver tail slot on the handle.  With your four fingers actuate the slide back about 1/4".  Thumb is pressing the frame forward.  The slide releases easily depress and the slide moves forward for easy removal.

Last edited by joemac on March 11th 2016, 6:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   Gun Control - Page 3 EmptyMarch 10th 2016, 8:45 pm

I'm sure your right about it getting easier after the spring has some use. For me it's not a big deal but if I do pass it on to my wife, she struggles with it. I think I just used to my 9mm Ruger which is much bigger and easier to grip. I have owned that for 23 years now and is still great, just to big for conceal.

Do you use regular lube, or the copper type that the factory uses? I'm going to have to get used to using so little lube with the one. I usually give the rails a liberal coat, but see it isn't recommended on  the Glocks.

Also, I think part of the problem for me is that I'm used to the bolt on the AR-15's going rather easy as compared to a smaller firearm. For years I focused on rifle and shotgun and pretty much ignored the handguns.
Back to top Go down
joemac

joemac

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   Gun Control - Page 3 EmptyMarch 11th 2016, 11:34 am

The slide release thumb leaver, was difficult even for me at first. It gets better. I doubt my wife could actuate my G23 today. She'd still have to grasp the rail, pull back, release. Though it might be a bit warm. Everyone's different on care. Just like which wax or oil you use. I tend to think if it as cleaning the firearm from powder versus lubing. Barrel inside and out, the frame and slide where the surfaces meet.

Anywhere there's powder I clean. Overdoing it no doubt as these things can still shoot being through and experiencing much more nasty conditions than lube and a cleaning cloth.

I use some stuff I was given. Gibbsbrand, comes out orange in color. It's more of a multi purpose lubricant than solely made for firearm cleaning and lube.

More is not better on lube, else it tends to ooozzzz out of the firearm in your holster and makes a nice mess greasy mess.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   Gun Control - Page 3 EmptyMarch 11th 2016, 12:51 pm

Last night I ordered a tube of the loctite C5-A copper, the same as the manufacturer puts on it.
Hopefully this weekend sometime I can get her shooting. Today I am taking my two high school age kids up to the oldest sons college for the weekend so things should get less hectic for an afternoon and I can drive to my brothers small farm to shoot.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   Gun Control - Page 3 EmptyMarch 14th 2016, 8:14 pm

pup wrote:
It's more acceptable than small. She got a pair of the Pearce Grip extenders for the magazine's. Those helped quite a bit. That and a extended slide stop. Makes it easier to thumb the slide closed when swapping magazine's. Breeze to replace both.

Today I installed the Vickers tactical slide stop, night and day difference. I worked for 1/2 hour trying to get the trigger pin out with no luck. I re-watched the youtube video, had my wife wiggle the old slide up and down and it came right out. This weekend I'll finally get to my brothers and let her shoot to see if see wants her own. She has already told me she doesn't want mine, It's a color thing.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   Gun Control - Page 3 EmptyMarch 15th 2016, 10:18 am

That trigger pin is a bit counter intuitive....
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   Gun Control - Page 3 EmptyMarch 21st 2016, 5:02 pm

Gun Control - Page 3 PT111%20G2_zpsprbcyrec
Picked up a cheap beater Taurus PT111 G2 9mm today for $219 brand new.

Keeping it in my desk at work. I had an employee attack me last week, and if he didn't prove out to be as big of a coward as he was in stature, my ass would have been beaten like a rented mule.

It was touch and go for a bit, but in the end, he turned out to be your classic big man trying to bluff his way with noise and bluster, sorry ass coward.

On a side note, that's about the only way cops will get involved. After said ass beating is administered. Nothing to keep them away, the cops HAVE to witness you warning them to stay away, then they HAVE to witness him trespassing again in order to do anything about it. Cops said a restraining order is even more useless. They can witness them violating it, but since it's a court ordered document, they'd have to wait until the court ruled whether the violation the cops have to witness rose to the occasion of issuing a warrant.

Protective orders are equally as useless. 30 days and 60 days...you pretty much have to be married or abusing one of your kids to have either one issued. And they only get issued after an ass beating, the term of it depends on how big of said ass beating was endured.

CCL time. When seconds count, cops are only minutes away. The entire company can be wiped out by the time they arrive. And old Jason ain't going out like a bitch. Especially for these jokers I work for.

Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   Gun Control - Page 3 EmptyMarch 21st 2016, 5:54 pm

That Taurus looks very inviting at that price. In another life, when I was a young man living in Fla., I had a nice 25 caliber Taurus.

It is a sad time in life when one realizes that the police can not protect you. You are on your own until they respond, and we all know that is only after the crime is over and the criminal usually gone. Will you bring it to work every day or do you have a secure place to lock it up when you are not there? I have a habit of always carry a pocket knife and too many times I have sat in a classroom and realized I had one with me. That would not go over well.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   Gun Control - Page 3 EmptyMarch 21st 2016, 6:19 pm

I'll carry it back and forth. Its ok to conceal carry in my building, no signage restricting it. None about open carry either...but I'm not into open carry. Too many shitnecked liberals to deal with for that.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   Gun Control - Page 3 EmptyMarch 21st 2016, 6:23 pm

Ive read up on them, the first generation of them sucked balls, these are supposed to be pretty reliable.

Cabela's had them for $249. I mostly deal with a local gun store "Mister Guns" here in Plano, they generally beat everyones prices.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   Gun Control - Page 3 EmptyMarch 21st 2016, 6:57 pm

One of the local shops is showing it online for $319. I don't trust that shop. They were the one that said they had the G 42 in stock, and when I got there was told they hadn't had one in over 2 weeks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control   Gun Control - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Gun Control
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next