Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Question For Car Guys

Go down 
+4
Diesel Dan
joemac
ggbaird
shatto
8 posters
AuthorMessage
shatto

shatto

Question For Car Guys Empty
PostSubject: Question For Car Guys   Question For Car Guys EmptyJune 21st 2014, 3:29 pm

Question For Car Guys
Does a "High Flow" Catalytic Converter improve gas mileage?
Back to top Go down
ggbaird

PostSubject: Re: Question For Car Guys   Question For Car Guys EmptyJune 21st 2014, 7:23 pm

Back to top Go down
https://pickupownersgroup.forumotion.com/
joemac

joemac

PostSubject: Re: Question For Car Guys   Question For Car Guys EmptyJune 22nd 2014, 12:08 am

If it does it will be very marginal. Likely so marginal without a scientific set of testing criteria, given the variables of typical driving one would never see any difference. Given the cost for a catalytic converter, the money could likely be spend else ware to improve mileage.

What's the vehicle in question?

Now if a catalytic converter is bad causing incorrect O2 sensor readings, then yes a properly functioning catalytic converter can help to restore lost mileage.
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Question For Car Guys   Question For Car Guys EmptyJune 22nd 2014, 12:49 am

I'm willing to bet that for daily driving most, if not all, new vehicle cats flow just fine.
Now replacing a bead style cat from the 70s/80s with a high flow "honeycomb" style used today would show a difference, IMO.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Question For Car Guys   Question For Car Guys EmptyJune 22nd 2014, 12:24 pm

The State of New Jersey has a program that puts a catalytic converter on our diesel work trucks for free. These are models before the EPA required them. They will pay a company $16K per vehicle for the upgrade.

PostSubject: Re: Question For Car Guys   Question For Car Guys EmptyJune 23rd 2014, 11:19 am

Catalytic converter or DPF such as a HUSS system
Back to top Go down
theshyguy

PostSubject: Re: Question For Car Guys   Question For Car Guys EmptyJune 23rd 2014, 7:07 pm

How in the world do they justify 16k for a company to add one on?
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Question For Car Guys   Question For Car Guys EmptyJune 26th 2014, 8:46 pm

The company claims it takes 2 men 2 days and 500 mile travel time. The companies know they will get the money as only 6 companies in the state have the contract.
The company that wanted to do the work lied on the application and I let the state know it. I told the company that the truck would only be in the fleet for 3 more years (1 year ago) and when I looked on the state web site, they said we would keep the truck a minimum of 5 years which allows them to do the work.
This is a big Caterpillar dealer.

PostSubject: Re: Question For Car Guys   Question For Car Guys EmptyJune 27th 2014, 7:45 pm

Corruption already filling up a new program.
Back to top Go down
shatto

shatto

PostSubject: Re: Question For Car Guys   Question For Car Guys EmptyJune 29th 2014, 2:39 am

The reason I asked was because the code causing the Check Engine light is being caused by a left bank cat that is dieing from eating 250,000 miles of severe oil consumption from the engine I had to replace.
Dex says to cover the light with a business card and ignore it until the truck fails smog.

Thanks for confirming what I thought about the replacement.
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Question For Car Guys   Question For Car Guys EmptyJune 29th 2014, 12:41 pm

Many aftermarket converters are not for road use in California. The do not have enough of the precious metals in them and that is why they are so cheap. They will keep the CEL off but not pass smog tests.
Back to top Go down
Jarlaxle

PostSubject: Re: Question For Car Guys   Question For Car Guys EmptyJuly 4th 2014, 10:10 pm

Pablum! I had an aftermarket cat in my Jeep, passed the test easily. They just haven't jumped through all the stupid hoops CARB erects.
Back to top Go down
shatto

shatto

PostSubject: Re: Question For Car Guys   Question For Car Guys EmptyJuly 6th 2014, 3:19 pm

The stuff I see online states if it is California legal.

Strange. Dex reset the light and it came back on after 55 miles. He reset it again and it's been off for over 100 miles. Such fun. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question For Car Guys   Question For Car Guys Empty

Back to top Go down

Question For Car Guys
Page 1 of 1