Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Question for pup and any other Ram truck experts

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
rustbucket

Question for pup and any other Ram truck experts Empty
PostSubject: Question for pup and any other Ram truck experts   Question for pup and any other Ram truck experts EmptySeptember 7th 2020, 9:53 pm

The missus and I are looking at a new 2020 Ram 1500 Classic (the old body style) to replace her Honda CR-V. The plan is to get the get the truck now and a travel trailer by the time she retires in 3 years (or maybe less). Truck is a regular cab, 8' box, 4x4, Hemi, 3.92 rear, Class IV receiver. Doesn't have limited slip. My question is how would this setup do pulling a 7000 to 8000 lb gross travel trailer. Plugged the VIN into into the Payload and Towing section of the Ram website and it said it was rated for 10783 lbs max for towing and 1408 max payload but I don't necessarily believe everything I read. Figured I'd talk to the experts and besides, it's been a while.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Question for pup and any other Ram truck experts   Question for pup and any other Ram truck experts EmptySeptember 8th 2020, 2:57 pm

I pulled my, at the time, 6000lb Travel Trailer with a crew cab, short bed optioned out with 3.92's and the 5.7Hemi. It pulled the trailer fine, ass was a bit soft with the stock coil springs. I added some aftermarket ones, helped but still wasn't ideal. If I had to do it over, I'd put airbags or SumoSprings on it to firm up the back when loaded.

I wouldn't go past 8k gross on the trailer though. Gasser gets a bit shift happy in the hills.

These are the SumoSprings I put on my F250, they replace the bumpstops, unloaded, its like they aren't there, but with the trailer connected, they compress and act as a progressive spring absorbing the jolts and eliminate the porpoising. Not nearly as harsh as the old school solid rubber Timbrens. Toy Hauler I have now has a tongue weight of 1250lbs, so it squats the truck a good bit.

Question for pup and any other Ram truck experts Sumo110
Question for pup and any other Ram truck experts Sumo210
Question for pup and any other Ram truck experts Sumo410

Back to top Go down
rustbucket

PostSubject: Re: Question for pup and any other Ram truck experts   Question for pup and any other Ram truck experts EmptySeptember 8th 2020, 7:20 pm

Thanks! Truck isn't a done deal yet .... we go tomorrow afternoon to get some hard numbers and a decent test drive. She'd prefer a quad cab but I haven't found many with a hemi/3.92's at a decent to us price. Want to stay away from the eTorque stuff. Lots of $50k trucks out there that won't tow a wet roll of paper towels.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Question for pup and any other Ram truck experts   Question for pup and any other Ram truck experts EmptySeptember 8th 2020, 7:37 pm

Any single cab 2500's with the 6.4 Hemi around up there?
Back to top Go down
rustbucket

PostSubject: Re: Question for pup and any other Ram truck experts   Question for pup and any other Ram truck experts EmptySeptember 8th 2020, 8:26 pm

8 if I counted right at my local dealer, the one we're dealing with. One 2019, the rest 2020's. Four on the lot, the rest "In Transit"
https://www.bernardsnorthtown.net
Back to top Go down
rustbucket

PostSubject: Re: Question for pup and any other Ram truck experts   Question for pup and any other Ram truck experts EmptySeptember 11th 2020, 11:14 pm

If all goes according to plan (famous last words), this is coming home Saturday morning to replace my wife's Honda CR-V. She wanted an extended/crew cab and she got one....

Question for pup and any other Ram truck experts 00c3b510

2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn (Level 2 package) crew cab 4x4.  5.7 eTorque Hemi, 3.92 rear ... should make a decent tow vehicle. 11,620 lbs of towing and 1720 lbs of payload so they say ... I'm hoping it will handle a 7 to 8000 lb travel trailer pretty well. Only thing it's missing are steps and the integrated brake controller. The steps should be on tomorrow and will take it back later in the year to get the controller installed. For a lower trim level I can't believe how nice the interior is. Bucket seats, power/power lumbar on the driver's side, heated front seats and steering wheel, dual climate control etc, etc. Amazed at the ride and how quiet it is inside. Never ever seen her so excited about a vehicle before but that's a good thing. If mama ain't happy, nobody's happy ...
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Question for pup and any other Ram truck experts   Question for pup and any other Ram truck experts EmptySeptember 12th 2020, 12:43 am

Looks like a nice truck. Big jump from a CRV to a Crew Cab. Brake controls today are pretty muck plug and play. A Tekonsha has some models to choose from. Either way I hope your wife enjoys the Ram.

PostSubject: Re: Question for pup and any other Ram truck experts   Question for pup and any other Ram truck experts EmptySeptember 12th 2020, 1:04 am

Thanks, I hope so too .... she's the one paying for it. She retires in three years and we hope we can see a little bit of the country. Plan is to rent some travel trailers next year and see what we like and don't like. I do know I'm too d*mn old to be sleeping on the ground in a sleeping bag.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Question for pup and any other Ram truck experts   Question for pup and any other Ram truck experts EmptySeptember 12th 2020, 5:15 pm

Our travel trailer is 31'. I tow with my 2010 Silverado 1500. With the kids now grown I wish I had a smaller size to travel the country in. We seldom use the one we own so she is not inclined to trade it in for a smaller model.

PostSubject: Re: Question for pup and any other Ram truck experts   Question for pup and any other Ram truck experts EmptySeptember 12th 2020, 6:58 pm

Right now we're talking about traveling and not spending too long in any one place. We looked at Airstreams a year or so ago. I like them but too spendy for sure. The Classic 33' had a knockout interior but it's definitely not anything I'd want to be towing around on a regular basis not mention it's a budget buster (understatement of the year). I check out RV Trader on a regular basis to see what's out there and get a feel for prices. Winnebago has a Hike series that looks pretty interesting to me. Going to rent a few travel trailers next year to find out what we really want.

Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Question for pup and any other Ram truck experts   Question for pup and any other Ram truck experts EmptySeptember 12th 2020, 10:53 pm

In the Fall and Winter there are a few indoor RV shows here. We went to one in Atlantic City and I was only looking. My wife said go home and think about it, but I didn't listen and bought one there. I had traded in my diesel and couldn't tow the fifth wheel with the current truck. One of the salesman at the show lived a few blocks away, had seen the fifth wheel sitting at my house. Without looking it over he offered me $7500. I really need to listen to my wife.

PostSubject: Re: Question for pup and any other Ram truck experts   Question for pup and any other Ram truck experts EmptySeptember 13th 2020, 7:18 pm

We had 3 days to think about the truck. Lots more $ than either one of us had ever spent on a vehicle which made us a little uneasy but we'd talked about traveling for years and decided it was time to either s*#t or get off the pot. She loves the truck. Trying to make enough room so it will fit in the garage ... a CR-V and a Fiat didn't take up much space.

As far as trailers go what brands do you like? Tandem vs single axle? We've looked at enough trailers to know we don't want a wet bath and do want a comfortable, big enough bed. Think we'd want some heat underneath so the potable, gray and blackwater tanks don't freeze in case we decide to go to Maine in the winter months and decent a/c to handle the Gulf Coast in summer.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Question for pup and any other Ram truck experts   Question for pup and any other Ram truck experts EmptySeptember 13th 2020, 7:49 pm

As far as trailer brands go I am not up to date on models and their weights. Some things you mentioned are a must, such as the heated underside and a shower stall instead of stepping into the small bath tub. To easy to slip climbing in the tub. Double axle for sure, makes towing more stable. Another thing that comes to mind are the windows. The ones that I have slide to the side, which are not good. On rain days you really can't open them. That is something I overlooked this past purchase.
A web site worth looking at is rvnet.com. All the information and questions you will find there.

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Question for pup and any other Ram truck experts   Question for pup and any other Ram truck experts EmptySeptember 14th 2020, 12:25 am

Nice looking truck!

Tandem axle trailer and I think you'd want what some call the artic insulation package.
Regardless of brand, new or used make sure you try and test EVERY item before it leaves the lot and make them fix it BEFORE you take delivery. Our son dropped ~70K on a high end tri-axle toy hauler and it suffered from the same assembly issues as cheaper ones. Once it left the lot it was a PITA trying to get anything repaired.

rustbucket likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question for pup and any other Ram truck experts   Question for pup and any other Ram truck experts Empty

Back to top Go down

Question for pup and any other Ram truck experts
Page 1 of 1