Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Ice Storm

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
pup

pup

Ice Storm Empty
PostSubject: Ice Storm   Ice Storm EmptyDecember 7th 2013, 4:54 pm

This is what I walked out to yesterday morning. Up most of the night with freezing rain then sleet. Electricity was off and on, but mostly off.

Ice Storm 1467308_10201032777122939_1901001679_n

Got a big branch down on the roof too. Lots of cleanup to do.
Back to top Go down
Hilux

Ice Storm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ice Storm   Ice Storm EmptyDecember 7th 2013, 6:48 pm

It has been pretty cold here the last few days too , my parking brake has been stuck on the last few times I drove my truck .
Back to top Go down
ggbaird

Ice Storm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ice Storm   Ice Storm EmptyDecember 7th 2013, 7:27 pm

Damn crazy weather. I wouldn't expect to hear about freezing rain in Texas. Hopefully there wasn't much, if any, damage.
Back to top Go down
https://pickupownersgroup.forumotion.com/
joemac

joemac

Ice Storm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ice Storm   Ice Storm EmptyDecember 7th 2013, 7:32 pm

My dad had a limb off his live oak tree hit his tailgate. Brother that lives much closer than I had to go over there with a chain saw to get it off. Damage to the tail gate and license plate bumper lights.

Crazy enough had a squirrel get trapped under the chimney screen somehow. He got in but couldn't get out. Least for a while until gravity got the best of him. He ended up in the fireplace, opened the front door to the house, squirrel went back outside.

Squirrel was lucky. Dad lost power at 2:30am and he didn't start a fire. Though I'm venturing if dad did start a fire the squirrel wouldn't have found the smokey chimney cap interesting to get into.

Kids been having fun using the slope of the driveways as to sled down. Trashcan lids, cardboard seems to work well.

Crazy as we didn't loose power. Maybe it was karma, bought gas for the generator, propane tanks and an extra space heater. Didn't end up needing them.

We haven't ventured anywhere, not sure if I could get a vehicle back into the garage without sliding into the exterior sides of stalls.

Got lucky on our red oak trees so far. Hopefully it won't be too much for you to get it back to square one Jason.
Back to top Go down
joemac

joemac

Ice Storm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ice Storm   Ice Storm EmptyDecember 7th 2013, 7:36 pm

ggbaird wrote:
Damn crazy weather. I wouldn't expect to hear about freezing rain in Texas. Hopefully there wasn't much, if any, damage.
Sucks as it was just ice, no snow.  If you look out, looks like a nice light snow dusting.  No snow however.

I did learn a new term this go around.  Rain pellets.  I was like what the hell is a rain pellet.  I know now.  While going to clean leafs out of the pool for the 53rd time because of my lovely neighbors Bradford pair tree, it was precipitation.  Thought came to my head the precipitation hurt my hands head and face.  Best described as large sleet or itty bitty hail.  Rain pellets.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

Ice Storm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ice Storm   Ice Storm EmptyDecember 7th 2013, 8:06 pm

Around 3/4" ice build up on the tree is what took the limbs down. Then it went to sleeting. Got a few inches of that too. I'd take 6 feet of snow over this ice crap.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

Ice Storm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ice Storm   Ice Storm EmptyDecember 7th 2013, 8:08 pm

The one on my roof sagged down, touched the roof, was basically laying on it when the limb gave way. No real roof damage that I can see yet. But I haven't been up there yet. It's a solid sheet of ice up there with a big ass limb covering it.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

Ice Storm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ice Storm   Ice Storm EmptyDecember 7th 2013, 8:14 pm

We were 80 on Wed afternoon, front blew in overnight and it was 33 by morning and fell from there. Rain started around 3pm and started freezing. Rained most of the night then switched to sleet. No telling how much ice we averted by everything being so warm just 24hours prior.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ice Storm Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ice Storm   Ice Storm Empty

Back to top Go down

Ice Storm
Page 1 of 1