Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Storm Chasers

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Diseasel

Storm Chasers Empty
PostSubject: Storm Chasers   Storm Chasers EmptyJune 2nd 2013, 7:48 pm

Two weeks of crazy weather in OK. Lots of mayhem and even the professional storm chasers are getting tossed and killed.

I guess the latter was inevitable. No doubt the chasers are doing a public service but I personally think they could get by without video feeds for the media. I think most of them do it for advertising revenue or funding. I recall Discovery Channel episodes where a main government research fund source warned and finally pulled the plug on one storm chaser for excess risk taking. The odds are finally catching up with them.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/06/02/star-discovery-storm-chasers-show-among-dead-in-oklahoma-tornado/

Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

Storm Chasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Storm Chasers   Storm Chasers EmptyJune 2nd 2013, 8:32 pm

It's always sad when things like this happen, but you knew sooner or later it would happen. It reminds me of the guy who lived among the brown bears in Alaska that eventually got attacked and eaten by one of the bears.
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

Storm Chasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Storm Chasers   Storm Chasers EmptyJune 5th 2013, 12:03 am

I have no issue with them putting their lives at risk doing this. If they make some money at it then more power to them.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

Storm Chasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Storm Chasers   Storm Chasers EmptyJune 5th 2013, 10:21 am

The bigger problem is that they get in the way of emergency personnel and become part of the rescue effort when they get too close.

I think we have the technology now that we don't need to drive a truck full of idjits up a tornado's ass to see how hard she's blowing.
Back to top Go down
ggbaird

Storm Chasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Storm Chasers   Storm Chasers EmptyJune 5th 2013, 10:30 am

pup wrote:
The bigger problem is that they get in the way of emergency personnel and become part of the rescue effort when they get too close.

Very true, but it's a double edged sword. Sometimes we have to take the bad to benefit from the good.

pup wrote:
I think we have the technology now that we don't need to drive a truck full of idjits up a tornado's ass to see how hard she's blowing.

These are the guys that helped give us this technology though. If there is any way they can increase the warning time and possibly predict touchdown points and routes, it would be a benefit to us all.
Back to top Go down
https://pickupownersgroup.forumotion.com/
Diseasel

Storm Chasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Storm Chasers   Storm Chasers EmptyJune 5th 2013, 10:44 am

It'll take some time to figure it all out but I gotta think things will change for the better. The professional community never liked the self-centered drama and excess risk taking.
Back to top Go down
Diseasel

Storm Chasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Storm Chasers   Storm Chasers EmptyJune 5th 2013, 10:51 am

Maybe part of the problem is too many meteorologist in the storm chasing biz trying to get their face in front of the public or on video. Most scientists aren't like that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Storm Chasers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Storm Chasers   Storm Chasers Empty

Back to top Go down

Storm Chasers
Page 1 of 1