Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Out of work again.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
TheQuig

TheQuig

Out of work again. Empty
PostSubject: Out of work again.   Out of work again. EmptyMarch 8th 2017, 9:27 pm

Since 2014 I have been working as a substitute teacher to supplement my SS and pension. The pay sucked, you hardly knew in advance when you were working, and the kids are so disrespectful, and getting worse.
Two days ago I was in for a business teacher and most agree I was the sub you want since I pretty much don't get on your back unless you are really causing a problem for the class.
3rd period I start getting seniors coming up and asking to go to lunch (again) or to the library, guidance, gym, basically anything they can think of. No, no, and no.
One 18 year old came to my desk and tells me he is going to attendance so he can sign himself out and go home (telling, not asking). If he lived alone he could, but having parents that support him, he has to have them call in and ask that he can leave. He gets loud, argues with me and finally states "I'm leaving". Frustrating to say the least, but I'm not pissed off, just annoyed. I guess all the bullcrap of the day caught up to me and I said as he was walking out the door "adios motherfu***r". Once it came out I thought "you just screwed yourself". I did. They don't fire you, they just stop giving you work.

My wife is glad it happened. She said find yourself a part time job that pays what your worth or draw up a plan to remodel the kitchen, paint the inside of the house and get the outside in order so we can put it on the market and get out of NJ. She also suggests I take some time for myself and go to Fla or Georgia and relax for a week or two. I don't know what I will do, kind of feel like I lost some identity as to who I am.
Thanks for letting me rant.

TheQuig

Out of work again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of work again.   Out of work again. EmptyMarch 9th 2017, 10:49 pm

Today I went to a high school in the next town. I had to fill out some basic paperwork so the state can run my fingerprints. They want to know how soon can I start after the board meeting next week. It's an option, I'm not sure if I want to go back to the same thing. Only difference is that it is in another town where I won't know any of the kids which is good.

Diesel Dan

Out of work again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of work again.   Out of work again. EmptyMarch 9th 2017, 11:58 pm

Well I'm glad to see you took a 12 hr vacation. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
theshyguy

Out of work again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of work again.   Out of work again. EmptyMarch 10th 2017, 12:50 am

Its great that your wife is so supportive! I'd take her advise and take some time off. If you don't want to go to FL or GA then just take the time to do stuff around the house you have been needing or wanting to do. Or go out and do stuff away from the house you've been wanting to do. Obvious the kids are wearing on you so going right back into the same thing probably wont be too beneficial.

But I'm like you, I get a lot of satisfaction from my work and its a big part of my identity. Its also a part I'm wanting to change and do something different.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

Out of work again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of work again.   Out of work again. EmptyMarch 10th 2017, 12:47 pm

I do need a break from the kids.
I handed in my paperwork this morning to the new school district and they remembered me from the last time I applied and turned down the job. I have been the only person that scanned in their application/forms and typed them in from Adobe (my hand writing is not the best). They remembered that 2 years later.
I talked to my mother-in-law today. She said book a flight, bring my fishing gear and come relax and get the stress out for as long as I want.

Out of work again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of work again.   Out of work again. EmptyMarch 11th 2017, 9:24 pm

It's a different era these days for sure . I'm not sure I could bite my tongue long enough to put up with it.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

Out of work again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of work again.   Out of work again. EmptyMarch 11th 2017, 10:26 pm

I'm looking at it as a temp position until I decide what to do next. Even though I will be hired, I still don't know if I want to go back to a job where every kid thinks they are special and entitled. 90% are good kids, but unless I work in an honors of stem class you always have someone trying to pull a fast one on you.

Out of work again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of work again.   Out of work again. EmptyMarch 12th 2017, 12:49 am

And its the parents fault. People don't get an entitled mentality from watching TV, its from parents mostly and then society. Its really not a generational thing either. I talk to people from their teens into their 90s every day and unless you are in your late 80s then there is a 70% chance your think a cellphone is a right and if you get 1 dropped call then you deserve a free months of service. The younger generation is the worst at thinking service should be free and older generations are the worst at thinking everything that goes wrong is the carriers fault. The longer I do this job the more I sense peoples entitlement growing.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

Out of work again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of work again.   Out of work again. EmptyMarch 12th 2017, 7:41 pm

One day in school I ask a student to put away her cell phone before I would have to take it away. Her excuse was "but I'm texting my mother". Parents know the no cell phone in class policy, so why do they text their kids? The very same business class that I had the problem with is run very lax. The teacher asked me not to be hard on the kids as they are "sensitive". 18 year old seniors!
Another trick the kids pull is to hook up their provide Chrome Books to their cell phone so they can get on web sites that are restricted. A teacher can see on their computer what sites the students are on, but they refuse to give subs the password and account so you can either spend the entire 1 hour and 40 minutes wasting your time by walking around the room, but the students easily close out the site before you get to their desk. Very frustrating.

pup

Out of work again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of work again.   Out of work again. EmptyMarch 13th 2017, 11:01 am

I couldn't be a teacher in todays schools. The participation trophy crowd has done a horrible job of raising kids. Endless entitlements and victimness rules the day.

Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

Out of work again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of work again.   Out of work again. EmptyMarch 13th 2017, 1:51 pm

The Administration never backs you up, you are left hanging in the breeze. They are afraid to talk to parents about their out of control behavior. It is easier to just not call me then if I were a teacher in the union who had backing.

It is for the better. When one door shuts, another opens. Today while going for animal feed, I stopped at a nice size gun range and put in an application. I was told they are always looking for part-time help.

pup

Out of work again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of work again.   Out of work again. EmptyMarch 13th 2017, 4:12 pm

If I were closer to retirement or retired, I'd go do this----We have an opportunity for one person or a couple to work as a caretaker at the Continental Ranch near Creede, Colorado from May 15, 2017 to about October 15, 2017 depending on weather.
Duties will consist of cleaning cabins between guests, generally assisting guests, and collecting cabin rental fees, plus some light maintenance and repair. Caretaker duties typically require about 20 hours per week.
Caretakers will be furnished a cabin to stay in or a place to park an RV. There is excellent stream and lake fishing nearby and plenty of opportunity for sightseeing, hiking, riding 4 wheelers, and other outdoor activities.
If you think you might be interested in this contact John Howard at 719-658-2614 or creedeanimalclinic@gmail.com.
If you know of someone else who you think may be interested, please pass this on to them. You can find out more about the Continental Ranch by visiting our website continentalranchatcreede.com.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

Out of work again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of work again.   Out of work again. EmptyMarch 13th 2017, 11:17 pm

That sound inviting. I see a lot of campsites offer similar deals during their season. If I didn't own a home and have animals to care for, it would be something I would do.

Out of work again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of work again.   Out of work again. EmptyMarch 16th 2017, 12:22 am

The mindset is also creeping into college. My wife is an academic adviser on TTU campus. She HATES the participation trophy mentality. She goes to conferences and meeting for advisers all over the country and there are some advisers who want the freshman's hands held. They say that a freshman "cant possibly be expected to schedule their own meetings" with advisers and help centers. Its a damn miracle that anybody under the current age of 30 has matures at all with the hand hold and ass wiping liberals try to do the kids. Obviously if you made a bad grade then the teacher/professor was too hard on you because you're a minority, or a gay/lesbian or didn't dress appropriately or are a liberal or conservative or chewed the wrong brand of gum.... nothing is anyone's fault and no accountability. But who can blame the kids, it is what they are taught at home, at school, by the govt.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

Out of work again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of work again.   Out of work again. EmptyMarch 16th 2017, 10:22 am

A dependent mindless sheep makes for a good Democrat voter.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

Out of work again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of work again.   Out of work again. EmptyApril 25th 2017, 4:58 pm

I went back to work today at a high school in the town next to mine. It added 8 minutes to my usual 5 minute commute. First day back and I'm thinking "why did I come back"? I asked for a building map so I could find where I have to go and they told me it is unsafe and there are none to be given out. From one end of school, it is a 1/4 mile. Having trouble getting my way in this maze.

Out of work again. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of work again.   Out of work again. Empty

Back to top Go down

Out of work again.
Page 1 of 1