Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Are you worried about the Corona virus?

Go down 
+2
theshyguy
TheQuig
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
TheQuig

TheQuig

Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 3 EmptyMarch 30th 2020, 11:37 pm

I see my wife working 10 hours a day online teaching and prepping for her 3 math classes. I ask what the other math teachers are doing hour wise. The others give lessons they find online, don't check if the work is right or not. They work at most 5 hours a day and complain they are bored. While my wife never took the easy way out, I would like to see her not work so hard. She is making sure the students are actually learning what they need to should so they can transition into the next level class.

pup

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 3 EmptyApril 1st 2020, 9:07 am

Be working at home for all of April at least. I won't ever get used to wearing pants again after all this is over.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 3 EmptyApril 1st 2020, 8:36 pm

Before Call this happened my 21 year old son was working in an auto shop doing tires, oil changes, brakes, and other small things. He pull did pull a trans out of a Jeep a few weeks ago but mostly does the basics. He works 6 hours a day, comes home for dinner and then goes to vocational school for 5 hours a night. He is taking a class called "Modern Machinist" which teaches him the CNC and other shop tools. Class is $6500. I thought with the shutdown of schools he was done with the class. Tonight I found out that he has to go online and do computer work every night. (He never talks about work or school, so I only found out by asking). I am going to write a letter to the Superintendent of Schools (My cousin) and ask for his money back. There is no way I would hire someone for a machinist job that took an online class. This is just crazy. Both my wife and I work for this school district so I have to carefully word this letter. I would never ask my cousin for a favor on this, I just will not ask it. I'll hope that others in this class are asking for a refund also.

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 3 EmptyMay 26th 2020, 1:33 am

Finally get to go back to work tomorrow.
First time since 3/20, been a while.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 3 EmptyMay 26th 2020, 10:50 am

Read an article today that now the virus makers are concerned there are not enough ongoing virus transmissions to effectively test new vaccines.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/low-virus-rate-leaves-oxford-vaccine-trial-with-only-50-percent-chance-20200524-p54vvu.html?fbclid=IwAR12OVjCKZ4UBLwjBTiMm-pNXX4kpkIinkedDsNczNc4iBSrP54eVCoMn0A
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 3 EmptyMay 26th 2020, 11:24 am

They can always wait till the Fall when the virus will spreading again like wild fire.

pup

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 3 EmptyMay 26th 2020, 11:43 am

TheQuig wrote:
They can always wait till the Fall when the virus will spreading again like wild fire.
We'll know by how it spreads in the southern hemisphere this spring and summer on how its going to be here later this year.

What we do know now, is none of the expert models and projections were remotely accurate to begin with. But now, we have actual data so I expect more accurate guesstimates this fall/winter. Depending on the political agenda of the modelors that is....
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 3 EmptyMay 26th 2020, 2:53 pm

Huge learning curve with this virus. Here in the Northeast, we got hit pretty hard. The Southern States seem to be just getting hit harder. Stats are not accurate as not enough testing is being done.

Politics play a big role and I don't trust what either party puts out there.

In the Fall there will be a lot of confusion when fly season hits. First-hand people have told me they knew they had covid in the Spring and were really sick only to be told after testing they never had it.

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 3 EmptyMay 28th 2020, 2:44 am

I guess one thing possibly learned is economy and jobs are part of the equation. The old utilitarian ethic rose pretty quickly by arguing it's okay if a few suffer to maximize the benefit of the many.

Sounds like the earliest a vaccine would happen is late 2020 or early 2021 which is well after that suspected fall's second wave. As crazy as it sounds, I could picture US military troops being used in early clinical trials in an attempt to short cut the long clinical trials timeline.

Until then treatments should be much improved. There's lots of hope for Regeneron's antibody treatment which isn't a vaccine - instead it's used to treat already infected patients. Their clinical study should be out in a few weeks.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 3 EmptyMay 28th 2020, 10:35 am

My work is slow playing it, maybe start going back in around June 15, voluntary only, then full office open in July. Owner of the company is married to a RN, so he's being overly cautious with it.
Since I'm in the high risk category with my heart condition, they might make me work from home until a vaccine is available.
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 3 EmptyMay 28th 2020, 12:14 pm

It's really a no win situation for the government.
If too many people die they didn't do enough but if enough is done so deaths are low they over reacted.

Of course the response or recommendations will change. That is how science works, as the data increases you adjust. The odds that your first reaction is the perfect one are almost zero. However the conspiracy minded people play right into that.

Are people dying from this, yes.
Will the lock downs be worth the economic fallout, time will tell.
Will some entities take advantage of this pandemic, yes.
If 100 million people died globally from this that is a lot of people but in reality doesn't hardly put a dent the 7.5+ BILLION global population.

I'm just glad we don't live in one of the hot spots.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 3 EmptyMay 28th 2020, 2:43 pm

I live in a hot spot state. North NJ is worse, but at the peak my county was seeing 800 people a week die

When school opens in the Fall I don't know if I will go back. I have a few issues that have me in the "at risk" category. The last 6 weeks I have been mostly stuck in a lounge chair or bed due to problems with my stomach. I had CAT scan last week and have an online doctors appointment next week to see what is wrong. Feels like the infection I had when I had divaticulatius. So for now work doesn't come into play.

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 3 EmptyMay 28th 2020, 3:25 pm

Any of those issues still lingering from your Mediterranean cruise last year?
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 3 EmptyMay 28th 2020, 3:56 pm

My lungs have not fully recovered, but still much better than they were. I had surgery around 12 years ago and they put in mesh. I have gained weight sitting at home and first thought the mesh was squeezing my intestines and hitting nerves in my back. I don't talk to the doctor until 6/5.

I've have never really felt 100% since the Med. cruise.

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 3 EmptyMay 28th 2020, 11:46 pm

Terrible timing but our oldest is moving out to start her college freshman year. Of course that means moving into the dorms, being on her own, etc. Given all the madness it doesn't make much sense on a few levels. The experts recommend 1 student per dorm room and half the normal class size, etc but the schools would probably close before any of that happens. We have the option of skipping a semester and that might be the best option given the short term challenges.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 3 EmptyMay 29th 2020, 10:26 am

The WHO says a mask is only needed if you are taking care of someone with Covid-19.
https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks?fbclid=IwAR0Nw7kRaVtlWDTwW-dzSnnNKj6wAHe3p-nNdq9stKCW-46xy8KlDawTuU8
The CDC says to wear one when you'll be in public.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover.html?fbclid=IwAR1KaoO755YoxpFjHs6jbO-dHj1HJbXN8Rb7WV6umxvuJL5kuQWnL1DPBBw

The "experts" can't even agree when accessing the same science and the same data. So we are left basically to use our best judgement. Me, I'd skip the semester, or until more is known. Hard choice either way. Do they offer any on-line solutions just to get the ball rolling?
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 3 EmptyMay 29th 2020, 11:39 am

Diseasel wrote:
Terrible timing but our oldest is moving out to start her college freshman year. Of course that means moving into the dorms, being on her own, etc. Given all the madness it doesn't make much sense on a few levels. The experts recommend 1 student per dorm room and half the normal class size, etc but the schools would probably close before any of that happens. We have the option of skipping a semester and that might be the best option given the short term challenges.

We are wondering what the Fall will bring college wise. This year my daughter will be an RA. She will be in charge of 6 students in a log cabin dorm. It will be better than her having to watch a whole floor of a dorm. She is initially to report second week of August. Right now she is doing research and co-author a paper with her chemistry professor.

If I had the choice and my daughter was going to college for the first time, I would try to have her sit out the Fall semester. I doubt my daughter would like that!

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 3 EmptyMay 29th 2020, 11:44 am

I was able to log in and see my CAT scan results. A few things could be better, but nothing that I can see in the report that needs immediate surgery. I emailed the report to my father in law to get his thoughts. He stopped practice two years ago at 78, but e is still sharp.
Next week I'll see what the gastro doctor says.

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 3 EmptyMay 29th 2020, 11:47 am

I wear a mask when I am in public buildings. Mainly Costco, pharmacy, Home Depot. Using a CPAP every night, the mask is a breeze to wear.

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 3 EmptyMay 29th 2020, 12:08 pm

TheQuig wrote:
I live in a hot spot state. North NJ is worse, but at the peak my county was seeing 800 people a week die

Wow, I looked into it and our county has 0 recorded covid-19 deaths total.
Maury County, TN.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 3 EmptyMay 29th 2020, 12:28 pm

Collin County

Number of cases: 1,236 positive cases; 33 deaths, 892 recoveries
We are the county directly north of Dallas County and I'm in the southern part of it.

Dallas County
Number of cases: 9,587 positive cases among Dallas County residents; 222 deaths.

Little over 19000 cases with 500ish deaths in the DFW area of around 8.5 million people.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 3 EmptyMay 29th 2020, 2:29 pm

We have over 11,500 deaths in NJ. For a small state it is a lot. The stats for my county show 800 and 14 in my town. My sister in law records the covid deaths in our hospital and said she doesn't know why the state is downplaying the numbers.

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 3 EmptyMay 29th 2020, 4:37 pm

pup wrote:
Do they offer any on-line solutions just to get the ball rolling?

That might be an option. We'll check it out.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Are you worried about the Corona virus?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General Topics :: Around the Keg-O-Rator-
Jump to: