Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Are you worried about the Corona virus?

Go down 
+2
theshyguy
TheQuig
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Diseasel

Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 2 EmptyMarch 20th 2020, 3:00 am

I hope you bounce back. There's gonna be some pain without a short term breakthrough.

Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 2 EmptyMarch 20th 2020, 8:43 am

I had the talk with the bossman about me being in the high risk category, so I'm working from home for the duration...then he sent out an email saying someone at work is being tested for showing symptoms.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 2 EmptyMarch 21st 2020, 6:21 pm

At 9:00pm tonight all non essential businesses will have to close down. Supermarkets, pharmacies, gas stations, liquor stores, and auto repair can stay open. Without having to travel to any of the listed businesses we are told to stay home until further notice.

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 2 EmptyMarch 22nd 2020, 1:41 am

Good thing the liquor store is on the list! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Diseasel

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 2 EmptyMarch 22nd 2020, 11:11 am

The airline bailout discussion is getting interesting. Airlines are doing a little stiff arm - they want a hand out with few requirements attached or they will be forced to layoff employees. I would guess layoffs would be expected given the open ended time frame of this slowdown. The senate is proposing loans with possible equity buy-in for the taxpayer and airline restrictions (no stock buy backs, no golden parachutes, limits on all those fees ...). That seems fair at least until the taxpayer loans are paid off.

We'll see but so far things don't look good for airline hand outs. That shouldn't be a surprise given the airline company actions of the last 5 years or so. I'm ok with most airlines feeling a little humble pie/pain.

Back to top Go down
Diseasel

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 2 EmptyMarch 22nd 2020, 2:39 pm

I'm becoming more worried about what this will all cost. Who knows how accurate it is but there's a list of some industry bailout requests making the rounds not including extra unemployment costs, the $1200 per person helicopter money drop, forgoing student loans, etc...:

Airlines - $50B
General - $150B
Musk and Bezos - $5B in grants or loans for commercial space company employees
Hotel Industry - $150B
Restaurants - $145B
National Assoc of Manufacturers - $1.4T
International Council of Shopping Centers - $1T
Beer Industry - $5B
Candy Industry - $0.5B

Current and future taxpayers could be in it for $4T to $5T or at least 25% of the current national debt! There's some talk of financing all this new debt with long term bonds (25 to 50yr).

Back to top Go down
Diseasel

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 2 EmptyMarch 22nd 2020, 4:33 pm

We all know covid19 can be transmitted before the host is symptomatic, it is more contagious and deadly than the flu, etc. There aren't enough testing kits, treatments are still trial and error. So how to respond to this dilemma?

Your high school kid lives with the family and is dating someone with a higher risk job. The job requires the interaction with many different customers each day. They might be in the presence of hundred of people per work shift. On a day off from work they want to hang out. How do you respond? Yes, no and why?
Back to top Go down
toyboxrv

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 2 EmptyMarch 22nd 2020, 7:53 pm

I'm a supposed high risk individual. I don't go out among a lot of other people and so far there are few reported cases here. My wife does work in a grocery store and will have a job with likely overtime for awhile unless she gets infected and then we both have a problem.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 2 EmptyMarch 22nd 2020, 11:56 pm

I'm high risk and am pretty much staying home. I've gone to the pharmacy and recycling center. I'm getting low on fresh supplies such as milk and fresh fish, bread. I don't want to go to the supermarket but I will have to. My 21 yo son still is working so I think it is a matter of time before he gets sick or is a carrier. I can see having to stay home for 2-3 months. I took all day to clean my office. 3 bags of stuff that only god knows why it was lying around. Now at least I can clean any guns without moving things around.
I was going to reload some 12ga. but I lost my book on how much powder and lead I need to use. It has got to be somewhere in the house.

pup

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 2 EmptyMarch 23rd 2020, 3:56 pm

My heart condition puts me in the high risk pool.

Son is a produce manager at Kroger, so he's exempt from any shelter in place orders.

Wife works at TruGlo, which supplies sights and other accessories to Sig, who supplies first responders and the military, so they told her she is exempt too and has to keep going in or could stay home and not get paid.

We have zero chance of avoiding being exposed. Most likely already have been.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 2 EmptyMarch 23rd 2020, 8:40 pm

From different sources it sounds like 70% or so will get infected. They are trying to slow the virus down so the hospitals don't get overwhelmed.

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 2 EmptyMarch 24th 2020, 1:00 am

The more we can slow the spread the more time we have for a effective vaccine to be produced too.

Co-workers parents live in a retirement community in Florida. They have a reported case in the community now.

After the Air lines spent all their free cash on stock buy backs there should be strings attached to any bailout.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 2 EmptyMarch 24th 2020, 11:53 am

Locking down Collin County, where I live, now, most of the cities around us have too. Harris County(Houston) is shut down.

Old biking buddy of mine lives in Norway now, he says the media there is reporting the malaria drugs being talked about here so far have been 100% effective in fighting the infection. Norway's trials only, but they are a part of the entire EU drug trial that is going on.
Back to top Go down
Diseasel

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 2 EmptyMarch 24th 2020, 8:03 pm

What a lucky break several effective meds already exist. Hopefully stimulus dollars are being set aside for mass production of chloroquine and remdesivir. And then we can unleash the economy again!

Trump is talking about adding another stimulus phase for a total of $6T!

Now the terrorist have a good idea how to bring the free world down to it's knees. We probably need to invest more money into anti-viral and anti-bacterial treatments and developing ways to compress the FDA's med approval cycle.
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 2 EmptyMarch 24th 2020, 11:25 pm

From what I recall those drugs are not having a big effect.
It was able to kill the virus in a petri dish but that's a long ways from being effective in people.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 2 EmptyMarch 25th 2020, 4:16 pm

I believe the chloroquine call kill in very small amounts. If you take a double dose it can kill you. Still, at least there may be a slim chance one of these drugs may help even if a few lives are saved.

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 2 EmptyMarch 25th 2020, 6:16 pm

I saw an covid-19 survivor interview where he claimed the meds had a quick change in his outcome. For a while they were only using the meds for severe patients with nothing to lose.

Possibly chloroquine's most dangerous side effect is an irregular heart rate and rhythm with normal dosing. Apparently it happens in less than 0.1% of the population. I guess that's at least 10x better than covid-19's 1%-2% death rate.
Back to top Go down
Diseasel

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 2 EmptyMarch 25th 2020, 6:32 pm

It looks like the Indian Council of Medical Researcher's just approved chloroquine's use for severe covid-19 cases.

Many times US docs order meds for "off-label" use (i.e. not FDA approved). These med are tested for other uses and side effects are pretty well known. One downside is insurance companies sometimes won't cover the med if its use isn't FDA approved.

Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 2 EmptyMarch 27th 2020, 3:49 pm

So far my town has 10 positive results. I have never seen so many people out walking their dogs.

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 2 EmptyMarch 28th 2020, 11:18 am

AZ cases are quickly ramping up and the Governor refuses to order a shut down. All surrounding states minus UT have shut down orders. The AZ Dept of Health is run by a young OB/Gyn with little  practical experience. She was appointed by the current Governor. The current Governor was the CEO of Cold Stone Creamery before he sold it. This is like watching a train wreck. There is a citizen groundswell asking for the inevitable shut down.

Costco has been great. Tues/Thu they open 1 hour early for seniors only (60+). Staff clean off your shopping cart, and have TP already loaded in the cart as you grab it.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 2 EmptyMarch 28th 2020, 1:17 pm

Shut down will happen sooner or later. It sucks, bored out of my mind. Your state will eventually lock down when the virus spreads. Enjoy the freedom while you can. Groundhog day is here.

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 2 EmptyMarch 28th 2020, 8:12 pm

For sure. Now I can appreciate what people mean when they say cabin fever.
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 2 EmptyMarch 29th 2020, 12:36 am

Cabin fever?
I've done tons of brush clearing and outside work this last week.
As long as I get a heads up to fill the diesel cans, grab some more pepsi and wiskey…..I'm good.
Back to top Go down
Diseasel

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 2 EmptyMarch 29th 2020, 1:43 pm

I hear you! I'm planning to go to the liquor store for a new whisky search. I tried Monkey Shoulder and MacClellands blended malt whiskey. Next I'm planning to try something a bit more premium and/or smooth.

We live in a run of the mill neighborhood. The landscaper takes care of the yard. I went on two early morning road bike rides the last 2 days for about 10 miles each just to burn some calories. Cabin fever probably more applies to the dynamics of a grumpy family living under the same rood with obvious restrictions and no end in sight.

My son and I were doing hockey but that's all shut down. I'm trying to get my son out for some neighborhood rollerblading today but he's stuck on an internet game complaining about being bored. Go figure.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 2 EmptyMarch 29th 2020, 3:18 pm

I would like to get to the supermarket but the number of people getting the virus is going up at least double every day. I don't want to go into a store with a lot of people. I need milk, eggs, and the usual fresh food items. Nothing major, I can hold out for another month with what I have.
Tomorrow I will put a new starter and blades on the riding mower. Battery could use replacing but again don't want to go into a store.

Hard liquor would be nice also, but again the store thing. Trump has been saying he may close off the norther part of the state. My oldest son lives north with my sister. He doesn't want to come down and bring north Jersey germs. I want to see him but I'm glad he is there to take care of my sister if anything happens.

Every firearm I own has now been cleaned very thoroughly.

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 2 EmptyMarch 30th 2020, 12:24 am

Rich, time to give the M37 some love.
Parts stores are open....just sayin.

I have my '56 in the shop along with the '95 cummins frame.
Pulled the 2sp rear axle/springs, installing the Dana 80.
Eventually the D60 front will make its way there too.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 2 EmptyMarch 30th 2020, 4:43 pm

Yes, local parts store is open. I put a new starter in the riding mower today and noticed the gas lines had dry rotted. Almost bought a new battery for the mower but the only one they had was dated from last August. I want a newer one. They get a new order tomorrow so I might go back but I'm trying to stay away from stores right now.

Your right, may be time to work on the M37. I need 2 new batteries, pull the plugs and put some marvel mystery oil in the cylinders and let it work its way in for a few days. Next, decide whether to pull the gas tank or just put in 5 gallons and see if it will turn over. My garage is a mess and it will be a chore to work around the collection of things in it.

We still have my daughters car and dorm room things sitting in Georgia. It doesn't seem like we will be able to travel down to get it for a while. At least the car is at our friends house.

pup

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 2 EmptyMarch 30th 2020, 7:19 pm

I fixed a slow leak on one of the beadlocks on the RZR on Saturday, then got my gas powered pressure washer back online too.

Got a lower gear set I need to install in the RZR, have to pull the transmission for that though. Gonna start in on that.

I've been working remote for the past week or so, been an ass beating mainly, baby sitting everyone else making sure they can work remote. Using every excuse in the book to be lazy is mostly what they are doing. They asked "can't we do something better" I said "yes, unemployment is the other option"

Me and the wife went to the closest Kroger grocery store early Sunday to pick up enough for another couple weeks, they were back to near normal stocking levels, but she wouldn't let me hollar "6 FEET MOTHERF@CKER!!" to anyone, it was kinda disappointing.
Back to top Go down
Diseasel

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 2 EmptyMarch 30th 2020, 8:30 pm

That would be hilarious to see someone yelling like that!

Back to top Go down
Diseasel

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 2 EmptyMarch 30th 2020, 8:36 pm

The old Seinfeld saying - common sense and a guy in a wheel chair... Finally a large number of AZ mayors asked the governor to shut things down and he did but not before the numbers got out of control - cases about doubled in the last 2 days. Way to go a$$ho!e!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are you worried about the Corona virus?   Are you worried about the Corona virus? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Are you worried about the Corona virus?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General Topics :: Around the Keg-O-Rator-
Jump to: