Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Chevy Equinox oil Filter

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TheQuig

TheQuig

Chevy Equinox oil Filter Empty
PostSubject: Chevy Equinox oil Filter   Chevy Equinox oil Filter EmptyFebruary 16th 2019, 9:35 pm

I stopped in to see my oldest daughter yesterday and she told me she wanted to go to PA today for a train ride for her son (3 hour drive). Her husband was working and she had to get the oil changed but dreading going to a shop with a 2 year old. I looked at youtube, told her to bring her SUV over and I would change her oil while she let my grandson feed my ducks.
I watched 2 youtubes and saw when the  cannister cartridge oil filter came out of each they were collapsed. My though was these guys waited way too long to change their oil and would show a how to video with a filter that bad.
When I pulled out the cannister on hers, it was worse. Collapsed and filled with so many chunks of contaminates that I was surprised it did not seize the engine. I should have taken a picture of it. I installed the Mobil 1 20,000 mile filter. I told her at 7500 miles bring it back and let me change it so I can see how the filter held up. 2.4L engine. She did let the oil go past the change oil now light.

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Chevy Equinox oil Filter   Chevy Equinox oil Filter EmptyFebruary 17th 2019, 10:56 pm

Many 2.4s have died, been killed, over the years from extended oil drains.
I'd run Penzoil Platinum, good filter like WIX/mobile and change at 5K for inspection. If she lives near by I'd consider pulling just the filter at 3k and see how bad. If engine has lots of gunk the fresh oil might loosen chunks up and be noticeable at that point.

Have seen a few 'nox/terrain on craigslist over the years with blown 2.4s
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Chevy Equinox oil Filter   Chevy Equinox oil Filter EmptyFebruary 18th 2019, 8:11 pm

She lives only a few miles away. Easy enough to pull the filter and take a look at it. Having seen how bad her old filter was, it won't hurt to change filters at 3K. I don't know how often her husband changed it in the past, but certainly not enough. He knew it needed the Dexos, so that is something in his favor. I had never seen an oil cap that said Dexos right on it.

PostSubject: Re: Chevy Equinox oil Filter   Chevy Equinox oil Filter EmptyFebruary 21st 2019, 3:19 pm

Is it something GM is doing wrong or abuse of the engine?
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Chevy Equinox oil Filter   Chevy Equinox oil Filter EmptyFebruary 21st 2019, 6:08 pm

I believe it is both. From internet research the 2.4L is a piece of junk. Many problems with leaking seals, timing jumping in new engines etc. I also have to think that my daughter has not been doing oil changes when she needs to. She has been fighting cancer for about 3 years and I'm sure changing the oil has not been a priority. When I changed it, she said the warning had been on for 3-4 weeks.

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Chevy Equinox oil Filter   Chevy Equinox oil Filter EmptyMarch 4th 2019, 2:18 am

Have you had a chance to look at it since?

Just changed the break in oil on our 1.5T in the new Equinox, 2675 miles.
Oil filter is a spin-on canister style and easy to get at, really like it. Takes 0W-20 now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chevy Equinox oil Filter   Chevy Equinox oil Filter Empty

Back to top Go down

Chevy Equinox oil Filter
Page 1 of 1