Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Distracted Driving

Go down 
+2
TheQuig
ggbaird
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ggbaird

Distracted Driving Empty
PostSubject: Distracted Driving   Distracted Driving EmptyMarch 26th 2015, 6:24 pm

Teen Distracted Driving “Even Worse” than AAA Thought
Cell Phone Use, Passengers Leading Causes of Distracted Driving

Distracted Driving Image15

Quote :
The AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety released its findings on teen driving behaviors, and the results are grim. Based on the most comprehensive research ever conducted into crash videos of teen drivers, the foundation discovered that distracted driving is worse than predicted among young drivers.

According to the AAA Foundation, the most common forms of driver distraction leading up to a crash included interacting with passengers, found in 15 percent of incidents, and cell phone use, found in 12 percent of incidents. Looking at something in the vehicle, looking at something outside the vehicle, singing, grooming, and reaching for an object also were common causes of driver distraction in crashes.

“It is troubling that passengers and cell phones were the most common forms of distraction given that these factors can increase crash risks for teen drivers,” said AAA CEO Bob Darbelnet. “The situation is made worse by the fact that young drivers have spent less time behind the wheel and cannot draw upon their previous experience to manage unsafe conditions.”

Vehicle event recorders and onboard cameras were used to collect data for crashes and other events (like loss of control, leaving the roadway, or making emergency stops or evasive maneuvers). Using the car’s interior-mounted camera, researchers looked at the final six seconds before the crash, discovering that distracted driving was a common cause of multi-vehicle collisions and road run-off excursions, while excessive speed and inclement weather were common causes for loss-of-control events. Rear-enders, caused by a combination of distracted driving behaviors and following too closely, were common for many teen drivers.

The organization’s recommendations include graduated driver licensing laws for new drivers, which place limits on passengers and handheld cell phone use during the first six months of driving for a new license-holder. Additionally, AAA suggests that parents and teens enter into a safe-driving agreement that includes strict rules on distracted driving, as parental involvement in the learning-to-drive process helps teens understand the risks associated with operating a car or truck better.

As with many other organizations, AAA recommends a total ban on texting while driving for all vehicle operators, both teens and adults. The B-roll footage, released by the foundation, is a chilling explanation as to why. The footage isn’t violent or graphic in nature (no dead teenagers here), but otherwise, it’s a bit like watching a horror movie: you can see the accident coming and you’re powerless to prevent it. Check out the video (and other learning tools and resources) here.

Teen driving safety is of paramount importance, as young drivers have the highest crash rate of any group in the United States. According to AAA, about 963,000 drivers age 16-19 were involved in police reported crashes in 2013, resulting in 383,000 injuries and 2,865 deaths.

AAA via Truck Trend

NOTE: I think we may have discussed this issue previously, but being so important, it wouldn't hurt to address it again.

Last edited by ggbaird on March 26th 2015, 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://pickupownersgroup.forumotion.com/
ggbaird

Distracted Driving Empty
PostSubject: Re: Distracted Driving   Distracted Driving EmptyMarch 26th 2015, 6:26 pm

I personally believe the percentage for cell phone use has to be way higher than quoted. It would be easy to have an accident while using your phone and quickly hide the phone and say you were distracted in another way. And it's definitely not JUST a teen issue. All walks of life are on their phones while driving. It has rapidly become ridiculous how many people you see on their phones behind the wheel. And they feel it's their god-given right to use the damn thing where and when they want.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

Distracted Driving Empty
PostSubject: Re: Distracted Driving   Distracted Driving EmptyMarch 26th 2015, 7:11 pm

I would have to agree with you, I would think a lot more are using their phones in some way during an accident. I've been taking my 16 year old driving every weekend. He turns on the radio, I turn it off. He will only do that in his car. When I work at his school and he drives my truck, he never touches the radio.
I still have another 4 months before he gets his license and drives alone.

joemac

Distracted Driving Empty
PostSubject: Re: Distracted Driving   Distracted Driving EmptyMarch 27th 2015, 11:17 am

The phone percentages seem low to me in my unscientific studies. At every traffic light there's at least every other person on the phone in their hand fingering the screen.

I know this well at traffic lights as obvious to spot when the cars sit at lights, don't react to the green light or the car in front having pulled away, 5 to 10 car lengths before a reaction to go occurs.

I so want a train horn.
Back to top Go down
joemac

joemac

Distracted Driving Empty
PostSubject: Re: Distracted Driving   Distracted Driving EmptyMarch 27th 2015, 11:22 am

6% reaching for "phone"
8% adjusting music playlist on "phone"
9% looking at other drivers FB on "phone"
10% looking at FB inside the vehicle on "phone"
12% talking on "phone"
15% interacting with passengers, texting to each other in the car, on "phone"

Easy to understand aggregated percentage total, 60% distracted by phone. This is more accurate.
Back to top Go down
ggbaird

Distracted Driving Empty
PostSubject: Re: Distracted Driving   Distracted Driving EmptyMarch 27th 2015, 11:34 am

joemac wrote:
6% reaching for "phone"
8% adjusting music playlist on "phone"
9% looking at other drivers FB on "phone"
10% looking at FB inside the vehicle on "phone"
12% talking on "phone"
15% interacting with passengers, texting to each other in the car, on "phone"

Easy to understand aggregated percentage total, 60% distracted by phone.  This is more accurate.

That makes a lot more sense to me. But those numbers may still be conservative.
Back to top Go down
shatto

shatto

Distracted Driving Empty
PostSubject: Re: Distracted Driving   Distracted Driving EmptyApril 12th 2015, 10:56 pm

Distracted Driving 10299539_10206277790009934_7944832878543371711_n

Distracted Driving 11042995_10206254525108326_6905098072995715999_n

Distracted Driving 10363407_10205770260162005_1843683915371183608_o
I Looked up for one second....
Toyota Tundra brakes are great. I came to a stop two feet from the bumper of the BMW. The wrong side of the bumper.

Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

Distracted Driving Empty
PostSubject: Re: Distracted Driving   Distracted Driving EmptyApril 13th 2015, 10:33 am

shatto wrote:
Toyota Tundra brakes are great. I came to a stop two feet from the bumper of the BMW. The wrong side of the bumper.

Ouch, any pictures?
Back to top Go down
Hilux

Distracted Driving Empty
PostSubject: Re: Distracted Driving   Distracted Driving EmptyApril 13th 2015, 11:18 am

They did not do any good outlawing talking on cell phones now instead of talking people are talking driving and looking for police so they can drop the phone real quick if they see a cop causing one more distraction .
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

Distracted Driving Empty
PostSubject: Re: Distracted Driving   Distracted Driving EmptyApril 13th 2015, 1:34 pm

So how do we address this?
All cell carriers disable calling functions when moving over 5 MPH?
Only exception is for emergency 911 calls?
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

Distracted Driving Empty
PostSubject: Re: Distracted Driving   Distracted Driving EmptyApril 13th 2015, 2:58 pm

Heck, I think the warning signs are a distraction.

joemac

Distracted Driving Empty
PostSubject: Re: Distracted Driving   Distracted Driving EmptyApril 15th 2015, 10:36 am

It appears the results are the same for piloting a plane as well. http://abcnews.go.com/US/selfies-caused-colorado-plane-crash-ntsb/story?id=28688703
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Distracted Driving Empty
PostSubject: Re: Distracted Driving   Distracted Driving Empty

Back to top Go down

Distracted Driving
Page 1 of 1