Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Thinking about a used pickup

Go down 
+2
Breathing Borla
Diseasel
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Diseasel

Thinking about a used pickup Empty
PostSubject: Thinking about a used pickup   Thinking about a used pickup EmptyApril 21st 2019, 10:47 am

Maybe 2016 or newer. Initially thought a Ram would be the best due to price and comfort but lots of reports of camshaft failures. Maybe a Ram Ecodiesel but they have reports of bottom end failures. Between the two the Hemi's camshaft would be slightly cheaper to replace but owners report pickups sitting at the dealers with long lead times for camshafts.

Not sure I want to chance an Ecoboost but apparently the the second gen fixed some oil dilution and carbon buildup issues by adding both port with direct injection. The 5L would probably be best bet.

And then there's always GM, Toyota, and Nissan. Nissan's heart doesn't seem to be in it. Toyota's are reliable probably because they don't introduce much change but also are a bit thirsty.

Paralysis by analysis is underway. Maybe a good old half ton price war will make me look at new pickups. Not sure I want a Ram hybrid with the added tech and reduced reliability risk.

Back to top Go down
Breathing Borla

Breathing Borla

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about a used pickup   Thinking about a used pickup EmptyApril 22nd 2019, 4:04 pm

Diseasel wrote:
Maybe 2016 or newer. Initially thought a Ram would be the best due to price and comfort but lots of reports of camshaft failures. Maybe a Ram Ecodiesel but they have reports of bottom end failures. Between the two the Hemi's camshaft would be slightly cheaper to replace but owners report pickups sitting at the dealers with long lead times for camshafts.

Not sure I want to chance an Ecoboost but apparently the the second gen fixed some oil dilution and carbon buildup issues by adding both port with direct injection. The 5L would probably be best bet.

And then there's always GM, Toyota, and Nissan. Nissan's heart doesn't seem to be in it. Toyota's are reliable probably because they don't introduce much change but also are a bit thirsty.

Paralysis by analysis is underway. Maybe a good old half ton price war will make me look at new pickups. Not sure I want a Ram hybrid with the added tech and reduced reliability risk.

FWIW my 2016 Tundra hasn't had a single problem. It runs on 87 so the MPG is slightly deceiving as my Ram got better MPG but needed mid grade and that's not just $.10 a gallon more anymore like the old days.

good luck

2010 Tundra 4x4 5.7 , 33" Cooper ST Maxx on RW Wheels (sold)
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about a used pickup   Thinking about a used pickup EmptyApril 23rd 2019, 9:51 am

The EcoBoost is nice for power, but the Hemi with the 8speed gets better gas mileage. Newer Eco's with the 10 speed might beat it though.

Nissan is a thirsty bitch too.
Back to top Go down
toyboxrv

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about a used pickup   Thinking about a used pickup EmptyApril 23rd 2019, 12:52 pm

Just did a 75 mile trip with my EB 3.5 and got over 25 driving between 55 and 60. Driving rural roads and freeways seems to get 21 - 22 so far. 07 F150 with 5.4 would get about 16 - 17 in the same conditions.
Back to top Go down
Diseasel

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about a used pickup   Thinking about a used pickup EmptyApril 23rd 2019, 7:02 pm

Thanks guys!

I've been searching the old 'internets' to get a feel for common issues/complaints. I was originally thinking Ram but sounds like the 5.7 hemi camshaft/lifter grenade issue is still built in. Toyota might be the longevity king and holds it's resale value. The 3.5/2.7 ecoboosts have merit but a little worried about the added complication/longevity. Maybe a 5.0L F150.

Back to top Go down
Diseasel

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about a used pickup   Thinking about a used pickup EmptyApril 23rd 2019, 7:14 pm

The goal is to have some half ton tow/haul 4x4 capability. Want to be able to do some hunting, fishing, camping with my son. He is old enough now to appreciate the benefits of the old pickup.
Back to top Go down
Diseasel

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about a used pickup   Thinking about a used pickup EmptyApril 23rd 2019, 11:53 pm

Darn. The new Ford 10 speed tranny in the 2018 has an inherent rattle on deceleration (1700-1200 rpms). It's a pretty dramatic metal on metal sound. Lots of complaints. Ford has a TSB for a software tweak but the success rate is very low if not zero. I guess there's always the 2017 and older 6 speed.

Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about a used pickup   Thinking about a used pickup EmptyApril 24th 2019, 8:43 pm

I'd lean towards a Ram with the ZF 8-speed either EcoDiesel or Hemi.

If you're not a diesel nut I'd go with the Hemi. Many more of them out there and cheaper to fix would be my guess. More shops would be comfortable working on a Hemi if the cam went out too.
Back to top Go down
Diseasel

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about a used pickup   Thinking about a used pickup EmptyApril 26th 2019, 1:36 am

Yes, leaning toward a gas engine this time.
Back to top Go down
coolzone

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about a used pickup   Thinking about a used pickup EmptyJanuary 21st 2020, 1:48 am

Would recommend Ram if you tow RV or anything heavy but if you would use it just for transportation then I suggest get a cheaper one.
Back to top Go down
Breathing Borla

Breathing Borla

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about a used pickup   Thinking about a used pickup EmptyJanuary 21st 2020, 11:40 am

my .02 is an older used ram is going to be a money pit.

Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about a used pickup   Thinking about a used pickup EmptyJanuary 27th 2020, 2:13 pm

BB, you should be in the market for a new truck around now.
What are you looking at?
Back to top Go down
Diseasel

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about a used pickup   Thinking about a used pickup EmptyFebruary 2nd 2020, 1:39 pm

coolzone wrote:
Would recommend Ram if you tow RV or anything heavy but if you would use it just for transportation then I suggest get a cheaper one.

Yes, the hemi's do pretty well towing and have lots of creature comforts. I ended up pulling the trigger on a new body 2019 hemi in June 2019. FCA had the 20% off MSRP sale and I couldn't resist. I went to a high volume Ram dealer and got a little over 30% off MSRP including dealer discounts.
Back to top Go down
Breathing Borla

Breathing Borla

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about a used pickup   Thinking about a used pickup EmptyFebruary 5th 2020, 6:27 pm

Diesel Dan wrote:
BB, you should be in the market for a new truck around now.
What are you looking at?

I am interested in the GMC since they are bigger and the AT4 doesn't sit on the ground anymore.

Every indication was that the tundra was going ground up redesign which was to be debut at the 2020 chicago auto show. So I was planning to check that out and see which one I liked more.

but now Toyota has delayed the new tundra so Im not sure what Im going to do, latest word is it may be December 2021 release.

Im not sure what I want to do now. I have a hard time going away from tundra since they have been bullet proof for me. I havent done a damn thing to this one except oil and new front brakes.

I may sit on the sideline a bit longer as I dont want another Ram and never really been a big F-150 fan, they dont have a large V8 anymore. At least for now you can get a tundra with a pretty damn nice 350 or the GM with the 6.2.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about a used pickup   Thinking about a used pickup Empty

Back to top Go down

Thinking about a used pickup
Page 1 of 1