Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Baby Duramax in Vans

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ggbaird

Baby Duramax in Vans Empty
PostSubject: Baby Duramax in Vans   Baby Duramax in Vans EmptyMarch 13th 2016, 4:37 pm

Diesel option signals plenty of life left for GM's aging commercial vans

Baby Duramax in Vans Image31

Quote :
It’s rare for an automaker to allow a vehicle to stick around for two decades without a major redesign. It’s rarer still to equip such a dinosaur with a brand-new powertrain.

But that’s what General Motors is doing for its full-size commercial vans, the Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana.

GM will drop its 2.8-liter, Duramax turbodiesel engine into the vans as an option starting early next year for the 2017 model year. Yes, that’s the same engine that propelled the Chevy Colorado midsize pickup to the coveted Motor Trend Truck of the Year nod in 2015.

The diesel vans also will get an eight-speed automatic transmission. The powertrain will be offered on short- and long-wheelbase versions of the 2500 and 3500 cargo and passenger vans.

The logistics are easy enough. The vans and pickups both are assembled at GM’s Wentzville, Mo., plant, near St. Louis.

Still, those products occupy polar opposite ends of GM’s vehicle stable. The Colorado and sibling GMC Canyon are two of the newest and hottest vehicles in GM’s stable. The vans were developed when Hillary Clinton was enjoying her husband’s first presidential term and a decade before Donald Trump had publicly humiliated his first “Apprentice” contestant.

The diesel investment seems to signal that GM believes the Express and Savana still have some legs in the market. But don’t take my word for it.

“The Express and Savana still have a lot of legs,” GM fleet boss Ed Peper said in an interview last month.

Industry watchers have wondered for years when GM will replace its throwback vans. As Ford, Ram and other rivals have migrated to unibody, front-wheel-drive vans developed in Europe, GM and its body-on-frame, rear-wheel-drive vans have been left as an outlier.

Peper said there are plenty of customers who prefer GM’s “tried and true” vans to the Euro offerings. I don’t doubt that. But I also believe that GM must have a plan for their eventual replacement before the Express and Savana hit, say, the quarter-century mark in 2021.

One possibility: a version of the Opel Vivaro, a slightly smaller commercial van for Europe that GM makes with Renault and redesigned in 2014. GM turned to Renault-Nissan to solve another van problem via an agreement to rebadge the Nissan NV200 small cargo van as the Chevy City Express that same year.

Might GM someday consider another tie-up with Renault-Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn to finally send the Express and Savana out to pasture?

Peper said only: “We’re always looking at opportunities to be disruptive.”

Baby Duramax in Vans Image33

Automotive News
Back to top Go down
https://pickupownersgroup.forumotion.com/
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Baby Duramax in Vans   Baby Duramax in Vans EmptyMarch 13th 2016, 6:54 pm

It's about time they did that. I think eventually GM will have to redesign the vans to look "European" like the other companies have done.
Back to top Go down
ggbaird

PostSubject: Re: Baby Duramax in Vans   Baby Duramax in Vans EmptyMarch 13th 2016, 8:28 pm

TheQuig wrote:
It's about time they did that. I think eventually GM will have to redesign the vans to look "European" like the other companies have done.

GM already has Euro-style vans across the pond. Just a matter of bring them (or the tooling) over here.
Back to top Go down
https://pickupownersgroup.forumotion.com/
joemac

joemac

PostSubject: Re: Baby Duramax in Vans   Baby Duramax in Vans EmptyMarch 14th 2016, 1:47 pm

Chevrolet currently offers the City Express van, rebadged Nissan with 2.0 and CVT.  They can do better, I would think this is a stop gap effort.  Or in the least it's not a top the priority list.  The 2.8 in the current City Express would be a nice bump in performance from the 2.0 CVT, but doubt GM would invest in such till they have their own van.
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Baby Duramax in Vans   Baby Duramax in Vans EmptyApril 29th 2016, 2:16 am

From what I recall GM does not have it's own global van platform. JV in euro markets IIRC.

I drove a 2.8L Colorado recently. Smoother, quieter and trans shifts better than our Diesel Cruze BUT I don't think I'd care for it in a larger heavier vehicle like a loaded fullsized van. A 2.8L/6A would have been great in a S10 size truck.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Baby Duramax in Vans   Baby Duramax in Vans Empty

Back to top Go down

Baby Duramax in Vans
Page 1 of 1