Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo

Go down 
+3
Breathing Borla
ggbaird
joemac
7 posters
AuthorMessage
joemac

joemac

Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo Empty
PostSubject: Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo   Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo EmptyMarch 21st 2015, 3:36 pm

Segment-leading power, efficiency in world’s most advanced six-cylinder
General Motors

Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo RkF6POq

Quote :
DETROIT – Cadillac today announced a new generation of V-6 engines, led by an exclusive Twin Turbo V-6 that will be one of the industry’s most advanced six-cylinder gasoline engines. It leverages the latest technology to balance efficiency, performance and refinement in the upcoming, top-of-the-range CT6 luxury performance sedan.

The all-new Cadillac 3.0L Twin Turbo is designed to achieve new thresholds of refinement and specific output for the brand’s new prestige luxury sedan, which makes its world premiere March 31, at the New York International Auto Show. Production begins late this year at General Motors’ Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly Plant.

Peak output is estimated at 400 horsepower (298 kW) and 400 lb-ft of torque (543 Nm), making it one of the most power-dense V-6 DOHC engines in the world, developing 133 horsepower (99 kW) per liter.

The 3.0L Twin Turbo is the only six-cylinder engine to combine turbocharging with cylinder deactivation and stop/start technologies to conserve fuel. Cadillac expects the combination to enhance fuel economy by up to an estimated 6 percent. Cylinder deactivation temporarily deactivates two of the cylinders in light-load driving conditions to enhance efficiency and seamlessly reactivates them when the driver demands full power.

Will be interesting to see what other platforms this engine ends up.
Back to top Go down
ggbaird

PostSubject: Re: Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo   Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo EmptyMarch 21st 2015, 5:03 pm

Hmmm... it appears as though the EcoBoost craze is catching on.
Back to top Go down
https://pickupownersgroup.forumotion.com/
Breathing Borla

Breathing Borla

PostSubject: Re: Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo   Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo EmptyMarch 23rd 2015, 3:15 pm

ggbaird wrote:
Hmmm... it appears as though the EcoBoost craze is catching on.

BARF Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo 2779125725

how about the large rumbling V8 craze Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo 2643933158
Back to top Go down
joemac

joemac

PostSubject: Re: Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo   Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo EmptyMarch 23rd 2015, 11:24 pm

That doesn't align with CAFE or EPA mileage increase targets in future years. This is why manufacturers have introduced newer smaller displacements and will continue do to so.

Forced induction offers volumetric efficiency no normally aspirated application can match. Thus turbos and superchargers with smaller displacement engines will continue to found in a greater number of platforms and applications. The new '15 Mustang now offers a 310HP 2.3 EB I-4. Outside of fantastic new innovation, V8's will continue to be replaced in total volume by smaller displacement engines.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo   Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo EmptyMarch 24th 2015, 10:22 am

I'm going to invent a V8 that burns on the blood of Democrats, TreeHuggers and Greenpeacers. A
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo   Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo EmptyMarch 24th 2015, 4:42 pm

Although a turbo increased the power of an engine, I have always thought that it is a weak link of an engine.
Back to top Go down
Truth
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo   Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo EmptyMarch 24th 2015, 9:08 pm

Maybe in the old days, not so much now. I have almost 300,000 miles on my turbo. Actually on the entire fuel system. Pilot bearing went out a month ago, so I purchased the whole nine yards, clutch, pressure plate, release bearing. The clutch I put in barely had more lining than the old one. The fingers on the pp had nearly 1/16" groove worn in them however. Glad I replaced everything though, I don't want to do that again anytime soon. Maybe if I had a tranny jack it would be different.
Back to top Go down
Breathing Borla

Breathing Borla

PostSubject: Re: Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo   Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo EmptyMarch 25th 2015, 12:35 pm

joemac wrote:
That doesn't align with CAFE or EPA mileage increase targets in future years.  This is why manufacturers have introduced newer smaller displacements and will continue do to so.

Forced induction offers volumetric efficiency no normally aspirated application can match.  Thus turbos and superchargers with smaller displacement engines will continue to found in a greater number of platforms and applications.  The new '15 Mustang now offers a 310HP 2.3  EB I-4.   Outside of fantastic new innovation, V8's will continue to be replaced in total volume by smaller displacement  engines.

That's great, but they sound like shit

This is how it's done Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down
joemac

joemac

PostSubject: Re: Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo   Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo EmptyMarch 25th 2015, 2:55 pm

Breathing Borla wrote:

That's great, but they sound like shit

This is how it's done Twisted Evil

Many like the sound of a nice exhaust, just not on a truck.  Some prefer the vehicle they log miles in to not provide a constant exhaust drone.  Moreover some might prefer the sound of performance be connected to a performance vehicle.

Here's a good example. It fits the character, plain and simple.
Back to top Go down
ggbaird

PostSubject: Re: Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo   Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo EmptyMarch 25th 2015, 5:23 pm

Ultimately, the Government is mandating the manufacturers meet a certain fuel economy average with their fleet, so while the V8's won't disappear, their numbers will diminish. Although I like and appreciate the sound and punch of a V8, the base, naturally aspirated V6 from any of the Big 3 would be plenty for my needs with decent fuel economy being the bonus.

Last edited by ggbaird on March 25th 2015, 6:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo   Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo EmptyMarch 25th 2015, 5:33 pm

My nice sounding V8 gets better mileage than my EcoBoost ever did. I liked the EcoBoost, but it ain't the best thing since sliced bread it's made out to be.

It's probably better now that they shaved 700lbs off the mule, but a V8 would be that much better too.
Back to top Go down
joemac

joemac

PostSubject: Re: Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo   Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo EmptyMarch 26th 2015, 2:13 am

The EPA ratings for the hemi 4x4 with itty bitty bed are 15/21, its not Prius mileage some claim.  Add to that simply tune on the EB easily nets another 35 RWHP and and near 70 ft lbs RWTQ with ease on standard 87 pump gas.

Guess if your getting groceries anything can get good mileage, including a hemi.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo   Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo EmptyMarch 26th 2015, 4:41 am

I had one, I pulled a small trailer with it, it was great, but it didn't get any better mileage than any V8 I've ever had doing the same thing. Including getting groceries.

It did shine rolling through the mountain passes in Colorado though. Just not a gas miser, no matter what anyone says or claims.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo   Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo EmptyMarch 26th 2015, 8:47 am

joemac wrote:
Segment-leading power, efficiency in world’s most advanced six-cylinder
General Motors

Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo RkF6POq

Quote :
DETROIT – Cadillac today announced a new generation of V-6 engines, led by an exclusive Twin Turbo V-6 that will be one of the industry’s most advanced six-cylinder gasoline engines. It leverages the latest technology to balance efficiency, performance and refinement in the upcoming, top-of-the-range CT6 luxury performance sedan.

The all-new Cadillac 3.0L Twin Turbo is designed to achieve new thresholds of refinement and specific output for the brand’s new prestige luxury sedan, which makes its world premiere March 31, at the New York International Auto Show. Production begins late this year at General Motors’ Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly Plant.

Peak output is estimated at 400 horsepower (298 kW) and 400 lb-ft of torque (543 Nm), making it one of the most power-dense V-6 DOHC engines in the world, developing 133 horsepower (99 kW) per liter.

The 3.0L Twin Turbo is the only six-cylinder engine to combine turbocharging with cylinder deactivation and stop/start technologies to conserve fuel. Cadillac expects the combination to enhance fuel economy by up to an estimated 6 percent. Cylinder deactivation temporarily deactivates two of the cylinders in light-load driving conditions to enhance efficiency and seamlessly reactivates them when the driver demands full power.

Will be interesting to see what other platforms this engine ends up.

This engine in the Colorado/Canyon twins would be a winner. I'd be all over one of those.
Back to top Go down
ggbaird

PostSubject: Re: Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo   Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo EmptyMarch 26th 2015, 9:05 am

Just a thought... Do you think GM would want to share a Cadilac motor throughout their brands? Maybe in a slightly reconfigured and detuned version? I'm just being the Devils advocate and assuming GM wouldn't want to tarnish the Caddy name by throwing one of their prestigious engines in a pickup, of all things! I realize they've given Caddy a Chev/GMC truck motor in the past, but this is the other way around. A motor specifically designed for Cadillac use. I'm probably over thinking this.
Blasphemy! affraid
Back to top Go down
joemac

joemac

PostSubject: Re: Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo   Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo EmptyMarch 26th 2015, 10:59 am

GM already shares engines between Cadillac and GM trucks.  The 3.6 NA is in the ATS, CTS 321 HP,  XTS FWD platform with 304HP, and the mid size twins tuned at 305HP.  With Cadillac's current, great product, lack luster volume, and GM's associated capital spend on development, these engines have a high likelihood to be shared.

The 2.5 NA in the ATS with 202HP is shared in the GM twins tuned at 200HP.

The 2.0 I-4 turbo in the ATS and CTS is shared with the Malibu.  No truck, but continues the precedent for sharing.

The next gen 3.6 NA, cylinder deactivation, that was part of the same announcement as the 3.0 TT, will offer 335HP.  No reason the GM twins won't receive this updated engine at slightly lower tune.

There might be some performance levels that will remain exclusive to Cadillac.  The 3.6 TT in the ATS-V was just SAE certified at 464HP.  The LS9 platform shared between the CTS-V and the ZO6 will likely remain total exclusive to top trim halo oriented vehicles.

With the new jointly developed GM/Ford 10 speed coming, first announced for the Raptor with 3.5 EB, will be interesting to see how this plays out in the next handful of years, lots of possibilities.

The 3.0 TT near 400HP/400TQ could easily be slotted as an upgrade option over the 3.6 NA in the mid size twins.
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo   Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo EmptyMarch 26th 2015, 1:33 pm

joemac wrote:
The 3.0 TT near 400HP/400TQ could easily be slotted as an upgrade option over the 3.6 NA in the mid size twins.

They could but I doubt they will.
So many missed opportunities for modern versions of the Syclone or SS pickup over the years.
Back to top Go down
joemac

joemac

PostSubject: Re: Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo   Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo EmptyMarch 27th 2015, 10:36 pm

However considering the GM at the time, a 3/4 effort Syclone or SS. Or even worse a 1/4 effort '03/'04, it's better if they left on the shelf.

Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo 2003_chevrolet_silverado_ss_100006482_l

Let's see if they can do a ZR2. Then and they might have enough cache' to go at a performance street truck.
Back to top Go down
joemac

joemac

PostSubject: Re: Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo   Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo EmptyMarch 27th 2015, 10:41 pm

Saw a second gen Lighting on the way home from the airport.  My Dad still has his '95 first gen.

Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo 95L122508

GM only had one true performance truck as mentioned the GMC Syclone.  The Chevrolet 454 SS IMHO fell short. Likely because of the era it was offered, when manufacturers didn't' have the technology to deal with emissions regulations. The '90 SS produced paltry 230 horsepower and 385 foot pounds of torque out of 7.4 liters.

The 3.0 TT might prove quite a truck if they decide to go that route. So many things you could do with it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo   Next-Gen V-6 Engines Led by 3.0L Twin Turbo Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1