Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Out of work.

Go down 
+4
Diesel Dan
ggbaird
toyboxrv
TheQuig
8 posters
AuthorMessage
TheQuig

TheQuig

Out of work. Empty
PostSubject: Out of work.   Out of work. EmptySeptember 30th 2014, 7:53 pm

For the past 11 years I have been working municipal government. Bad pay, lots of days off, 4 weeks vacation, 12 sick days, 14 holidays. Boss was a real ass and I have been underpaid by about 25K per year. This summer I got tired of their demands that I do more work. I was the safety officer/regulatory compliance, and a project manager. I asked for a buy out and they said no. I hired a lawyer who pushed and I settled very low to get out of there.
When I told my boss nothing gets done because I'm doing 3 jobs, he said I would have to take a pay cut if they hire me help. I thought about it and told them yes, but now I want health benefits as I would pay 5K less than my wife for the same coverage as it is adjusted by your salary. The boss went crazy and told me I would have to take a 15K pay cut so I told him to shove it. 4 days later I'm done.
I will most likely apply for my pension and in April go to social security and substitute teach a few days a week. I needed to get out of this rat race before I had a stroke trying to keep up with work. Most people wouldn't do this, but I didn't see another way out.Next week I'm having knee surgery again and will be laid up for about 1 month. I will receive a paycheck until mid January and then I'm on my own.

As I'm leaving today for good, I noticed 1/2 of my job is posted for a salary of 75K.
Back to top Go down
toyboxrv

Out of work. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of work.   Out of work. EmptySeptember 30th 2014, 10:55 pm

So you must have been making 150k.

Stress isn't worth working for idiots.
Back to top Go down
ggbaird

Out of work. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of work.   Out of work. EmptySeptember 30th 2014, 10:59 pm

Some times you just have to say 'f--k it'. I'm sure you did what was right for you. Good luck with what ever path you choose Rich.
Back to top Go down
https://pickupownersgroup.forumotion.com/
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

Out of work. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of work.   Out of work. EmptyOctober 1st 2014, 9:36 am

Good for you Rich!
Sounds like you are on the first step of enjoying "your" life.

To put it in perspective, that last run of your career was shorter than the time we spent on PUTC. Suspect
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

Out of work. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of work.   Out of work. EmptyOctober 1st 2014, 10:13 am

Thanks guys.
I've already started to enjoy life. I have a load in the washer, taking the Yukon to inspection, and it the rain stops I'll replace a front porch post that is rotted out.
I'm a little nervous about the move, but in my mind I was going to retire this coming April. I had an offer from my old boss to teach safety classes a couple days a week which would be perfect.
Too many people at work had seen the way I was being treated and commented that they could see the affect on my health. There were three of us who worked there that had worked for the old Administration, and one by one they would attack us. Two of the women were younger and it wasn't that hard to get out, although one had to move to Fla. to get a job, while the other now commutes pretty far for work. In the past year, in a company of 42, 12 have left.
I'll get through this, have better health and start enjoying my family and devote more time to them.
Back to top Go down
theshyguy

Out of work. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of work.   Out of work. EmptyOctober 1st 2014, 10:21 am

Good luck! Sounds like your boss had it out for you for some time. Enjoy your health and family.
Back to top Go down
joemac

joemac

Out of work. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of work.   Out of work. EmptyOctober 1st 2014, 11:07 am

Good for you. Can't put a price tag on working in a situation and with people that are less than desirable. Wears on a person. Life is too short for that. Plus our bodies just won't be able to do at 75 what they could at 35, 55, etc. No time is too soon to start enjoying some of what you've got.
Back to top Go down
shatto

shatto

Out of work. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of work.   Out of work. EmptyOctober 10th 2014, 7:32 pm

Judy calculated and so we took Social Security early, which has worked out fine.
Could we have used another couple years of Courier income? Yes. But not buying $40 or more of gas every day has made a difference.

There is something to be said for retiring.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

Out of work. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of work.   Out of work. EmptyOctober 11th 2014, 12:36 pm

Time will tell, but it looks like I may retire for SS in April next year. I'll start to collect my pension now and do some work as a substitute teacher to make up for extra cash. I'm still slow moving after knee being scoped last week, but that has more to do with the drugs they use to put you under. Once it is all out of my system I should be able to drive and get around.
Back to top Go down
Pick-Up Man

Pick-Up Man

Out of work. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of work.   Out of work. EmptyOctober 11th 2014, 2:29 pm

Good move. It only means that you will most likely find a better job, and one that you actually like.
Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Out of work. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of work.   Out of work. Empty

Back to top Go down

Out of work.
Page 1 of 1