Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Wrangler Diesel

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ggbaird

Wrangler Diesel Empty
PostSubject: Wrangler Diesel   Wrangler Diesel EmptyMarch 1st 2014, 4:29 pm

2016 Jeep Wrangler To Get Diesel Engine

Wrangler Diesel Willys10

Quote :
Jeep Wrangler enthusiasts who have been asking for a diesel engine will get their wish in about two years.

The diesel will be available in the 2016 Wrangler, which will debut in 2015.

"The engine will be introduced toward the end of the model's lifecycle to boost sales before they bring in the redesigned model," according to an industry source who asked not to be identified.

At the same time, the 2016 Wrangler will be freshened, possibly with new interior trim and exterior colors.

Automakers sometimes introduce new technology or a new engine to create a buzz for a model that is nearing maturity. In particular, diesel engines are being added by automakers because of rising fuel prices and a government mandate for better fuel economy.

The specifics about the Wrangler's diesel engine are unclear, although it is likely to be the same engine that is optional in the 2013 Ram pickup and 2014 Grand Cherokee.

The Grand Cherokee is available with a turbocharged 3.0-liter Ecodiesel V6 that is mated to an eight-speed automatic transmission. The V6 is produced by VM Motori, an Italian engine maker in which Fiat holds a stake.

The engine produces 240 horsepower and 420 pound-feet of torque. The Grand Cherokee's fuel economy is rated at 21 mpg city and 28 mpg highway.

Edmonds.com
Back to top Go down
https://pickupownersgroup.forumotion.com/
TheQuig

TheQuig

Wrangler Diesel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wrangler Diesel   Wrangler Diesel EmptyMarch 1st 2014, 5:40 pm

The Wrangler certainly needs an engine with good fuel mileage. I have always like the 4 door model, but with the mpg's it gets it was never a consideration. I just drive too many miles per day to afford the gas in the present model.

Wrangler Diesel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wrangler Diesel   Wrangler Diesel EmptyMarch 1st 2014, 6:45 pm

Unless Jeep changes the styling of the Wrangler dramatically (and I hope they don't) they will never achieve great fuel consumption. It is essentially a brick as far as aerodynamics are concerned. The Pentastar V6 was a good move in the right direction compared with the outgoing 4.0L. The diesel should be a vast improvement in rock crawling torque, and an extra few mpg should be available.
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

Wrangler Diesel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wrangler Diesel   Wrangler Diesel EmptyMarch 2nd 2014, 1:04 am

Awesome sauce!
Hope it gets a manual.
I would have been happy with the 2.8L I4 that the Liberty had.
This should have been done back in '05 along with the Liberty before the after treatment costs went through the roof.
Back to top Go down
Hilux

Wrangler Diesel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wrangler Diesel   Wrangler Diesel EmptyMarch 2nd 2014, 1:17 am

If it gets a diesel and pickup in the next redesign can we then assume its going to go IFS / IRS we cant be lucky enough to get a smallish truck with solid axles .
Back to top Go down
ggbaird

Wrangler Diesel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wrangler Diesel   Wrangler Diesel EmptyMarch 2nd 2014, 9:31 am

Hilux wrote:
If it gets a diesel and pickup in the next redesign can we then assume its going to go IFS / IRS we cant be lucky enough to get a smallish truck with solid axles .

Long-travel independant suspension is the rumour (for the pickup version at least) so far...

https://pickupownersgroup.forumotion.com/t715-jeep-pickup-spotted#5192
Back to top Go down
rustbucket

Wrangler Diesel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wrangler Diesel   Wrangler Diesel EmptyMarch 2nd 2014, 12:54 pm

TheQuig wrote:
The Wrangler certainly needs an engine with good fuel mileage. I have always like the 4 door model, but with the mpg's it gets it was never a consideration. I just drive too many miles per day to afford the gas in the present model.

Same here ... DW really likes Jeeps and the four door Wrangler in particular but her 90 mile round trip commute put the Wrangler out of serious consideration. Her CRV ain't no Wrangler to be sure but it's 27-29 winter mpg's (30-32 summer mpg's) make it easy to live with.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wrangler Diesel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wrangler Diesel   Wrangler Diesel Empty

Back to top Go down

Wrangler Diesel
Page 1 of 1