Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tires: Cooper Discoverer A/T3

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
kilogulf59

kilogulf59

Tires: Cooper Discoverer A/T3 Empty
PostSubject: Tires: Cooper Discoverer A/T3   Tires: Cooper Discoverer A/T3 EmptyFebruary 11th 2014, 12:35 pm

I am thinking of getting a set of Cooper Discoverer A/T3 tires for my 09 Chevy 4X4 (Big Red)...the stock Bridgestone Dueler A/Ts have 46k+ on them and need replacing. Oh and for the record, for a OEM tire, the Bridgstones were not bad, as I know some folks do not care for them I, however, was quite surprised. Still and all, I wanted something better.

My truck tire size, 265/65/R18, really narrows down the options nonetheless, the better tires come in this size and I don't want El Cheapo tires on it...

Anyone with A/T3 experience out there who'd care to comment?

Tires: Cooper Discoverer A/T3 P81m
Benefits

•  Modern, aggressive 5-rib all-terrain design to provide outstanding performance in both on-road and off-road driving applications.
  •  Silica based tread compound provides excellent wet traction and handling on the highway, while also improving cut and chip resistance in more harsh rocky and gravel terrain.
  •  Dual draft tread element walls aid in reducing stone retention, stone drilling and assist in cut and chip resistance.
  •  Lateral groove protectors reduce the chance of stone retention and stone drilling.
  •  Boken center rib improves soft surface traction without sacrificing handling.

Performance Features
Here's how this tire performs in everyday driving.

What consumersearch.com had to say...

Best all-terrain truck/SUV tire
    Pros

•  Great grip on wet, dry and snowy roads
    •  Good on sand, loose dirt and mud
    •  Quiet, comfortable ride
    •  55,000-mile tread warranty

Cons

•  Mediocre ice traction -1-
    •  Not suitable for extreme off-roading
    •  High rolling resistance can diminish gas mileage

Our AnalasysPlenty of all-terrain tires for light trucks and SUVs grip well on wet, dry and snowy pavement, but the Cooper Discoverer A/T3 goes a couple steps further: It manages a quieter, more comfortable on-road ride than many other off-road tires, and its tread lasts longer than most competitors' in an independent test. Cooper backs the tire with a 55,000-mile tread-wear warranty.Off-road, it's not too shabby, either. Auto journalists who spend a lot of time off the pavement say they are pleasantly surprised by the Discoverer A/T3's prowess on sand, loose dirt and deep mud. Still, these tires aren't for hard-core off-roading; for that, reviews say the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar-2- (*Est. $210) is the best pick.If your truck or SUV rarely leaves the pavement, keep in mind that all-terrain tires rarely deliver good ice grip, and they often create a lot of drag or rolling resistance that lessen your gas mileage. Regular all-season light truck/SUV tires like the top-rated Michelin LTX M/S2-3-  (*Est. $225) tend to grip better on ice, create less rolling resistance and last longer in tests.ConsumerReports.org tests tires scientifically, but its evaluations are on-road only. Off-road enthusiast publications and websites, including Petersen's 4Wheel & Off-Road, Off-Road.com and 4x4Review.com, test the Cooper Discoverer A/T3 on dirt, sand and mud in addition to pavement.

-1- Ken's Comment: I know of one man who has A/T3's on his 4X4 Chevy and liked their performance on ice.

-2- Ken's Comment: This is far too aggressive of a tread pattern for everyday on pavement driving.

-3- Ken's Comment: This tire might be fine for city type all-season driving nonetheless, we are in a rural environment. While I'm certain these tires would suffice, I believe a slightly more aggressive tread pattern would work much better.

...and now for the videos...
Cooper A/T3's are put to the test at the 2012 Ride-N-Drive
event at the Cooper Tire and Vehicle Test Center near San Antonio, TX.

Fred Allen talks about the features of the new all terrain Cooper Discoverer A/T3 light truck tire and the process of using a silica based tread compound and micro guage zig zag siping.

Standard Limited Warranty
55,000 Mile Tread Wear Protection

The Discoverer A/T3 utilizes a balanced combination of technology, compounding and design to produce a tire that will perform well in nearly all types of terrains. The tread compound enhances wet traction and rolling resistance, while the aggressive tread design significantly improves off-road traction without sacrificing highway performance. All traction...all terrain..all the time!

M + S Rated

after alot of research and looking at alot of Tires I chose the coopers, this video is about first impressions with hopefully follow up videos with more reviews of the tires in different conditions.The tires are Cooper Discoverer AT3 on a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer, size 245/65/17 and the tires new have 13/32nds tread.

I was able to find no adverse commentary of these tires...I cannot wait for mine!

Tires: Cooper Discoverer A/T3 L51
Back to top Go down
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/iccf/
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Tires: Cooper Discoverer A/T3   Tires: Cooper Discoverer A/T3 EmptyFebruary 11th 2014, 1:39 pm

One of the first things I do is run the DOT codes to make sure they are made in the USA.
Son just bought some Nitto 295/70R17-E for his Dodge/Cummins and I was surprised they are made in the US.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Tires: Cooper Discoverer A/T3   Tires: Cooper Discoverer A/T3 EmptyFebruary 11th 2014, 8:37 pm

They look like nice tires, I would like a little more than 55,000 mile warranty but that is still pretty good. Do you do a lot of off road?
I just put on a set of Michelin X LT2, warranty for 70,000, but they are not really a good off road tire. $905 mounted, balanced and tax.

kilogulf59

PostSubject: Re: Tires: Cooper Discoverer A/T3   Tires: Cooper Discoverer A/T3 EmptyFebruary 11th 2014, 8:50 pm

I hear ya and those Michelin X LT2 are great tires but I do some off road, much heavy snow & ice, and much back road driving so a little aggressive tread is nice. Most tires in the 'hybrid" category are 45 to 50K and generally not much more aggressive than an all-season radial. Additionally there's the price of the Coopers to factor in. they're way under $200 p/life inc. M&b...
Back to top Go down
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/iccf/
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Tires: Cooper Discoverer A/T3   Tires: Cooper Discoverer A/T3 EmptyFebruary 12th 2014, 1:18 am

I like the looks of the tread but can't comment on how they will hold up.
Some tires wear better than others on IFS trucks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tires: Cooper Discoverer A/T3   Tires: Cooper Discoverer A/T3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Tires: Cooper Discoverer A/T3
Page 1 of 1