Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Fiber Optic Internet Service

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
pup

pup

Fiber Optic Internet Service Empty
PostSubject: Fiber Optic Internet Service   Fiber Optic Internet Service EmptyDecember 17th 2021, 12:09 pm

Frontier is laying fiber thru my hood this morning. All we've had until now is line of sight wireless. Good day I get 50mbps, but its spotty.
Frontier packages start at 500mbps up/down for 50mo, and 900mbps up/down for 70mo.

Gonna be nice to have fast internet.
Fiber Optic Internet Service Fiber10
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Fiber Optic Internet Service   Fiber Optic Internet Service EmptyDecember 17th 2021, 1:41 pm

We don't have fiber in my area. They stopped the line 10 miles north of me saying it was too expensive. That was FIOS. All we have is Comcast or Dish.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Fiber Optic Internet Service   Fiber Optic Internet Service EmptyDecember 17th 2021, 1:57 pm

I think they are laying it out there because of the future growth coming. Nothing but empty farm fields around us thats being bought up and developed. So laying fiber instead of copper probably makes sense to them.
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Fiber Optic Internet Service   Fiber Optic Internet Service EmptyDecember 17th 2021, 9:07 pm

Our power company co-op is running a ~300 mile fiber backbone for their equipment. Has extra capacity for residential ISP. We recently found out they are partnering with a local ISP to be the provider. The fiber line is going down our road. Hopefully our neighborhood will get some kind of node to tap into.

pup likes this post

Back to top Go down
Diseasel

PostSubject: Re: Fiber Optic Internet Service   Fiber Optic Internet Service EmptyDecember 19th 2021, 10:15 pm

We cut the cut the cord and Directv - now just streaming. Currently using the local cable provider's fastest connection for our location. It's $100/mo for 940Mbps down and 35Mbps up but they also limit data to 1T bytes per month. There are nominal fee options for an extra 250M bytes/mo, 500M bytes/mo, or unlimited.

Internet service is getting to be a commodity with faster wireless speeds and more available wireless options so the cable companies are hoping to lock you in.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Fiber Optic Internet Service   Fiber Optic Internet Service EmptyDecember 20th 2021, 12:44 pm

I plan to ditch Dish Network when I get the fiber access too.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Fiber Optic Internet Service   Fiber Optic Internet Service EmptyJanuary 11th 2022, 11:27 am

They are supposed to install the service in my house at some point before noon today. I'll post speedtest results afterward.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Fiber Optic Internet Service   Fiber Optic Internet Service EmptyJanuary 11th 2022, 12:00 pm

It will be interesting to see how fast it really is. If had decent cable I would drop my TV package and just stream everything.
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Fiber Optic Internet Service   Fiber Optic Internet Service EmptyJanuary 11th 2022, 12:54 pm

We are still stuck hot spotting from T-mobile.
Has improved but still not great or consistent.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Fiber Optic Internet Service   Fiber Optic Internet Service EmptyJanuary 11th 2022, 1:43 pm

TheQuig wrote:
It will be interesting to see how fast it really is. If had decent cable I would drop my TV package and just stream everything.

Thats my plan.
The are installing the Amazon eero 6 Pro wireless mesh system along with the service too. Going to be interesting to see how that performs too.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Fiber Optic Internet Service   Fiber Optic Internet Service EmptyJanuary 11th 2022, 1:45 pm

Diesel Dan wrote:
We are still stuck hot spotting from T-mobile.
Has improved but still not great or consistent.

Current wireless internet I have is basically 4GLte cell. Its been decent. Not great, but better than nothing
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Fiber Optic Internet Service   Fiber Optic Internet Service EmptyJanuary 11th 2022, 3:19 pm

From my Samsung S21
Fiber Optic Internet Service Screen10
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Fiber Optic Internet Service   Fiber Optic Internet Service EmptyJanuary 11th 2022, 3:49 pm

From my PC. Both wireless to the router
Fiber Optic Internet Service Speed10
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Fiber Optic Internet Service   Fiber Optic Internet Service EmptyJanuary 11th 2022, 4:08 pm

On the router itself
Fiber Optic Internet Service Screen11
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Fiber Optic Internet Service   Fiber Optic Internet Service EmptyJanuary 11th 2022, 5:38 pm

You have to be happy with that speed.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Fiber Optic Internet Service   Fiber Optic Internet Service EmptyJanuary 11th 2022, 6:39 pm

First test on the PC maxed out at 30Mbps...then I remembered I ordered a new wireless network card for it.
Tore it down, installed that card and its running fast now.
Hoping I've seen the last "buffering" for streaming shows on the TV. Can't imagine that happening at these speeds.
Back to top Go down
theshyguy

PostSubject: Re: Fiber Optic Internet Service   Fiber Optic Internet Service EmptyJanuary 25th 2022, 10:08 pm

We stream everything here. But between all the streaming services Im paying about the same as when I had cable.
Back to top Go down
Diseasel

PostSubject: Re: Fiber Optic Internet Service   Fiber Optic Internet Service EmptyFebruary 19th 2022, 10:14 pm

It's getting to the point that some streaming service is underwhelming while the price keeps rising. It's probably time for these guys to get the message.

I'm considering cutting Netflix as I'm noticing more and more poorly made foreign made movies with dubbed over audio. I get that they need to grow the business abroad but the acting and story lines are pretty awful. I figure I could always turn service back on for a couple of months if a good series starts a new season etc.

And the NHL really botched coverage for local teams this year. The only way we could watch the local team was to subscribe to at least 3 different streaming services (ESPN+, youtube TV,  and a new local sports streamer via Bally's Sports). We're using 2 of the 3 but otherwise no thanks and on top of that we pulled back from supporting in-person home hockey games.
Back to top Go down
theshyguy

PostSubject: Re: Fiber Optic Internet Service   Fiber Optic Internet Service EmptyFebruary 20th 2022, 6:10 pm

Im going to reevaluate Netflix with the wife and kid again. And also Amazon Prime with yet another price increase.
Back to top Go down
theshyguy

PostSubject: Re: Fiber Optic Internet Service   Fiber Optic Internet Service EmptyFebruary 20th 2022, 6:11 pm

Im already ditching DirecTV Stream since Im losing my ATT discount since we sold off part of DTV. I was getting it all for $10 a month but now its reg pricing and no way Im paying that much for something I havent even even looked at for probably 2 years. My wife uses it some but its gone!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fiber Optic Internet Service   Fiber Optic Internet Service Empty

Back to top Go down

Fiber Optic Internet Service
Page 1 of 1