Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Installing Solar Power

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Diseasel

Installing Solar Power Empty
PostSubject: Installing Solar Power   Installing Solar Power EmptyApril 4th 2021, 3:05 pm

Anyone recently taken the leap? I imagine the Biden administration will stoke subsidies in the months to come so it might get cheaper as long as the solar companies don't increase their prices.

I received a flier in the mail about a non-profit co-op that's suppose to be a consumer focused advocate. It's SolarUnitedNeighbors.org. It all sounds good. They claim to reduce costs by grouping neighbors together etc.

The example numbers show about a 10yr break even for my utility company which is the best estimate I've seen. The other local utility's break even is closer to 20 years.

There's an online application to join the co-op for free. You give your name, address, utility company, roof type, plans for: energy backup storage, EV vehicle ownership, etc. In the fine print they acknowledge receiving a $600 fee from the installer.

I've been underwhelmed with solar panels in the past with the 30yr break-even and/or leases where the investor pockets the government subsidies and you pay a monthly fee.

I think it's relatively new as I haven't found any online negative reviews. Here's a 2 minute video describing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f-XKfaYgiE
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Installing Solar Power   Installing Solar Power EmptyApril 5th 2021, 9:27 am

I have a lot of roof that receives a lot of sun. The solar companies must look on Google Maps and see which houses are worth their investment. I get phone calls every day and a salesman every couple of weeks. Installation would be no cost on my part. Until they make it so I have power when the power goes out, I will not get it. Yes, it would save some money, but not enough for me to make it worth my while to have holes put in my roof. Any problems with my roof and I would have to deal with a solar company before I could do a repair/replacement.

PostSubject: Re: Installing Solar Power   Installing Solar Power EmptyApril 5th 2021, 12:16 pm

Yes, a new roof replacement is recommended before solar panel installation but even then there's always a risk of unforeseen repairs needed and solar companies then have you by the short hairs.

It's too bad the savings aren't more significant.

We get our share of door-door solar salespeople. If it was a good deal customers would be flocking to them and not vice versa.

There's a lot of details and options with solar and the price only goes up when you opt for enough solar panels for worst case conditions, battery backup, and optimized control modules.
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Installing Solar Power   Installing Solar Power EmptyApril 10th 2021, 1:59 am

We have about 1,500 sq ft of southern facing roof, soon to add another 900 sq ft.
Lots of sunshine but unfortunately TN is rated pretty low for buying back excess power.
Probably due to the TVA.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Installing Solar Power   Installing Solar Power Empty

Back to top Go down

Installing Solar Power
Page 1 of 1