Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Almost have the house to myself.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TheQuig

TheQuig

Almost have the house to myself. Empty
PostSubject: Almost have the house to myself.   Almost have the house to myself. EmptyJuly 13th 2016, 6:17 pm

My wife and 2 younger ones (15 and soon to be 18) left for Georgia this afternoon. They won't be home until August 27. I'm home with my 22 year old recent graduate that spends more time back at his university with his girlfriend than he does at home. He had his fist interview with Google on Monday and the tech told him good luck on his next level interview.

It would seem like I now have the good life for the summer but that is not the case. I have to do repairs on the travel trailer, install a new receiver on my truck as the old receiver is getting wide where the pin holds it in place.
Next redo one of the bathrooms from putting in a new tile floor, scrapping off the old wall paper, pull out the vanity, medicine cabinet and lights and replace the toilet, and repaint.
Part of the roof is leaking so it has to be taken down to the plywood (2 layers on it already), and replace any rotted sheathing, new insulation, and then replace any sheet rock and spray with popcorn. It is a cathedral ceiling and it will be a pain in the butt.
Tomorrow I'm putting the living room couches out to the curb and will go to Costco and buy 2 leather couches with recliners on each end. That will be nice as with everyone gone the living room can stay clean for a while.
Hardest of all, crack open the bottle of JD that I bought in NH two weeks ago. I don't drink much any more so this may take a few days.
Easy things are: let the ducks in and out everyday and feed and water them. Feed and clean cat litter.

I still may take a week in Fla. and a week in Georgia depending on how the summer funds play out. No matter what, the mailman still delivers bills in the summer when we are both out of work. Social Security and my pension help just a bit.
Back to top Go down
theshyguy

PostSubject: Re: Almost have the house to myself.   Almost have the house to myself. EmptyJuly 13th 2016, 7:21 pm

Sounds like some fun and then some real fun. Whats with the bathroom remodel? Did it get wet from the water leak or just doing a budget minded update? I'm interested as we just bought our house and need to do some updating in it.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Almost have the house to myself.   Almost have the house to myself. EmptyJuly 13th 2016, 10:32 pm

I did a temporary floor and put the toilet back around 12 years ago. It was a rush job as we had company coming and needed it back on line quick.
It is wet around the base and I know it wasn't set quite right the first time. I have to take my time and do it right. I plan on taking up the cheap linoleum and put down another sub floor depending on what the wood looks like. I've done all the jobs at one time or another, but never took on the whole bathroom at once. I need to have a helper, so I will jump on this quick if possible before my son gets a job. It is a small 5X5 floor, so I may just pay a tile guy to come in and do the tile right. I have 4 bathrooms in the house so putting one offline for a week won't hurt anything.
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Almost have the house to myself.   Almost have the house to myself. EmptyJuly 18th 2016, 2:25 pm

Would be a perfect time to stop by and help me out! Very Happy

However, due to contractors constantly backing out and standing me up I still don't even have the concrete for the floor down. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Almost have the house to myself.   Almost have the house to myself. EmptyJuly 18th 2016, 6:27 pm

I still may head to Georgia in the next 6 weeks or so, not far from TN. If I do head down, I'll come over and help.
My brother is taking the roof off tomorrow, and it should go quick I'm hoping. If the price is lower than the money I have put aside, I'll have him tile the bathroom floor.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Almost have the house to myself.   Almost have the house to myself. EmptyJuly 24th 2016, 8:21 pm

I'm slowly getting my list knocked down with some derails along the way. Couch's are in the living room, roof is complete, installed a new receiver on my truck, and fixed all the broken things in the travel trailer that took a beating on 684 in NY state while heading to the Tappan Zee Bridge.
The weather has just been miserable, I thought I was goin to pass out while installing the receiver by myself in the heat Friday. Saturday, I just sat on the couch drank plenty of fluids and watched TV. I was just too spent from Fridays job.
This week will be touch up paint on the ceiling (it was leaking in 3 separate places thanks to the terrible contractor that did the second floor for us a few years back). I may start the bathroom towards the end of the week knowing my brother will be coming home from vacation and told me to buy all the material and he will put in the tile for me. On a day that is below 90, I plan to put 3 vent covers on the travel trailer that will allow the vents to be open all summer and the air circulate without rain getting in.
I also ordered rear brakes for my truck, I haven't done drum brakes in about 20 years but still have my Snap-on tools for that job, so it should go easy.
Back to top Go down
theshyguy

PostSubject: Re: Almost have the house to myself.   Almost have the house to myself. EmptyJuly 24th 2016, 11:30 pm

Sounds like you have been productive but still have a lot left.

I worked in the back yard some but only got about half of what I wanted because it got too hot. I think it hit about 97 today. Way too hot to do anything in my garage but I need to clean and organize it.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Almost have the house to myself.   Almost have the house to myself. EmptyJuly 25th 2016, 12:16 pm

It seems starting one job always brings something else to be done before you get started. It is already to hot and humid outside, so I think painting inside may start the week off.
I feel like I'm working my butt off, and the one pushing so hard is me. My wife keeps asking me to fly down, she is now in Fla. Now I'm dreaming I'm back in school and the work at home isn't done.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Almost have the house to myself.   Almost have the house to myself. EmptyAugust 30th 2016, 9:18 pm

Everyone is back home, knocked out a lot of projects, only 1 didn't get done. I pulled the toilet in the bathroom but instead of putting tile in I replaced the wax seal. Money got too tight toward the end. I had bought two leather couches with recliners at each end and two mattresses for the kids beds and went off budget with those purchases. It will have to wait until October when we are both receiving pay checks again. Even if I start working the first week in September, I won't get a paycheck until 10/1.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Almost have the house to myself.   Almost have the house to myself. Empty

Back to top Go down

Almost have the house to myself.
Page 1 of 1