Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

It was just one of those days.......

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
TheQuig

TheQuig

It was just one of those days....... Empty
PostSubject: It was just one of those days.......   It was just one of those days....... EmptyJanuary 14th 2016, 10:04 pm

It was one of those days I wish I could get a do over.
Last week, my son that is home from college told me his check engine light in his Honda Civic came on. The OBD2 gave me the code for 3rd clutch transmission pressure sensor. I look at the Honda forums and this seems to be a common problem with the sensor going.
I ordered the sensor, got 3 quarts Honda ATF, some new crush washers.
Looking at the weather today was the day to do it although I have been sick with pneumonia for the past week.
Drain ATF, easy job.
Disconnect sensor, major pain, couldn't be in a tighter space if you could find one. We were able to get the old sensor off without much trouble. Two fingers only to line up the sensor and we must have dropped the new one a dozen times before we get it to catch a thread on wrench it on.
On the test drive everything goes well, no codes, trans shift smooth. We get home and have to add a few ounces to reach the right level.

Now I'm happy with myself and while drinking a cup of coffee I don't remember if the washer was on the sensor.
when I popped the hood sure enough I see the washer sitting on the frame but no leaks. So, the smart guy I am I decided to tighten the sensor just a hair more. Sensor breaks off with the threads on a fraction sticking out. Off to Auto Zone and buy an easy out, get it starting and the space being so tight, I was working for at least and hour thinking any minute and the threaded nipple will start back out. Nope. The easy out breaks in half.

Luckily, no fluid could leak out. We were able to drive it to the dealer, it shifted well, but all the check engine and a flashing Drive "D" were on. Tomorrow I will find out how much it will cost to fix. I have no idea how they can drill out the easy out in the location it is in.

PostSubject: Re: It was just one of those days.......   It was just one of those days....... EmptyJanuary 14th 2016, 10:58 pm

Sounds like the only thing that went right today was the coffee. I hope you have a good relationship with the dealer and they treat you right.
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: It was just one of those days.......   It was just one of those days....... EmptyJanuary 15th 2016, 12:14 am

Ouch, fuel pump went out on my daughter's car, 650 miles away and I can't help.

Let us know the outcome.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: It was just one of those days.......   It was just one of those days....... EmptyJanuary 15th 2016, 12:56 pm

I'm waiting on the dealer. This morning they asked for 2 hours labor to try to get the part out. I agreed, hoping they could. If not they say they have to pull the trans to fix it. I'm screwed either way at this point.

pup

PostSubject: Re: It was just one of those days.......   It was just one of those days....... EmptyJanuary 15th 2016, 1:55 pm

After they drill and tap the trannie, you can name the car Caitlyn.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: It was just one of those days.......   It was just one of those days....... EmptyJanuary 15th 2016, 5:31 pm

pup wrote:
After they drill and tap the trannie, you can name the car Caitlyn.

Good one.

Honda looked at it today, they want at least $1,100 to pull the tranny, send it out to a transmission shop and see if the shop can get out the broken threads and easy out. Could be a few hundred more.

I called my local transmission guy that has worked on both my Silverados. He said $350 to pull and replace trans, not sure how much to do the repair and put in new sensor. I had a rollback at Honda take the Civic to my guy. Honda got $116 for trying to get it out, I don't believe they gave it more than a few minutes. Rollback is $100 which I will see if my RV policy will cover since its my wife's policy and her name is on the car. Transmission guy can't start work on it for a week. That's okay as my son when back to school today and the car can't go to the city with him.

PostSubject: Re: It was just one of those days.......   It was just one of those days....... EmptyJanuary 15th 2016, 6:11 pm

Honda wanted $1000 to play the middle man. Typical dealership.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: It was just one of those days.......   It was just one of those days....... EmptyJanuary 15th 2016, 10:20 pm

I'm sorry I took it to Honda first. I would have been wiser and richer to take it straight to my transmission guy. Even the auto mechanic teacher in my wife's vocational school didn't want to take on the job. He said he would have to do the work himself and have 22 kids doing whatever they wanted without his supervision.
I did get him to agree to do tie rods, electric window and lock switches, and change all the fluids though.

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: It was just one of those days.......   It was just one of those days....... EmptyJanuary 19th 2016, 5:24 pm

Well I got lucky, the transmission shop was able to pull some parts off and not have to remove the transmission. They were able to chisel the bolt out. $403 is much better than the $1100 + that Honda wanted to charge.

PostSubject: Re: It was just one of those days.......   It was just one of those days....... EmptyJanuary 20th 2016, 1:33 pm

Congrates. Happy to hear they also charged for what they did and not what you already were expecting and ready (but not as willing) to pay.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: It was just one of those days.......   It was just one of those days....... EmptyJanuary 20th 2016, 5:07 pm

He is smart, he knows I'm a return customer that has been dealing with him for the past 20 years. I have told friends about him and his shop and they have given him business. He could have asked for more and I would have paid. Honesty goes a long way.

PostSubject: Re: It was just one of those days.......   It was just one of those days....... Empty

Back to top Go down

It was just one of those days.......
Page 1 of 1