Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Moving, agin

Go down 
+7
Truth
rustbucket
theshyguy
TheQuig
joemac
ggbaird
Diesel Dan
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

Moving, agin - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moving, agin   Moving, agin - Page 5 EmptyOctober 27th 2020, 11:37 am

rustbucket,

The pup pictured is a Badger at heart.
We got her near Hammond back in 2008. She's lived in 4 homes and 3 states so far.

rustbucket likes this post

Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Moving, agin   Moving, agin - Page 5 EmptyOctober 27th 2020, 11:56 am

There is wild speculation, rumor and outright lies that someone is running fiber out in our neck of the woods. I wish they would. Wireless internet isn't very good at all.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Moving, agin   Moving, agin - Page 5 EmptyOctober 27th 2020, 7:57 pm

It's crazy how much property can sell for. My house is approximately 1/3 of an acre. Without house, the property would sell for $90,000 in this market.
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Moving, agin   Moving, agin - Page 5 EmptyOctober 27th 2020, 8:18 pm

Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Moving, agin   Moving, agin - Page 5 EmptyOctober 28th 2020, 11:10 am

TheQuig wrote:
It's crazy how much property can sell for. My house is approximately 1/3 of an acre. Without house, the property would sell for $90,000 in this market.

The acre I'm sitting on tax appraised at $60,000 for this year.

Wish I could go back 20yrs and buy land around here. I could have retired 15yrs ago.

Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Moving, agin   Moving, agin - Page 5 EmptyOctober 28th 2020, 3:36 pm

pup wrote:

The acre I'm sitting on tax appraised at $60,000 for this year.
Holy cow affraid
Back to top Go down
Diseasel

PostSubject: Re: Moving, agin   Moving, agin - Page 5 EmptyOctober 28th 2020, 4:35 pm

I drove cross country a few weeks back and was blown away by the number of Californians heading east in moving trucks. The dead give away was the California plated vehicle towed behind. Of course they tended to be younger, more mobile, and with less items to haul but I bet the professional movers are busy hauling the rest.

Speaking of valuations, I read an article this morning about Phoenix homes prices rising faster than any other major US city this last year. Phoenix 9.9%, Seattle 8.5%, San Diego 7.6%.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Moving, agin   Moving, agin - Page 5 EmptyOctober 29th 2020, 9:37 am

Problem with all of those California exiles is they immediately start voting to create California chaos wherever they land.

theshyguy likes this post

Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Moving, agin   Moving, agin - Page 5 EmptyOctober 29th 2020, 8:11 pm

A lot of New York liberals have abandoned NY and relocate to the south and are changing the political balance.
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Moving, agin   Moving, agin - Page 5 EmptyOctober 30th 2020, 11:32 pm

pup wrote:
Problem with all of those California exiles is they immediately start voting to create California chaos wherever they land.

The ex-Cali residents I know of all have Trump signs in their yards, for what it's worth.
They also seem pro-gun, pro-limited government too.

That is out in the country so maybe suburbanites are different.
Back to top Go down
theshyguy

PostSubject: Re: Moving, agin   Moving, agin - Page 5 EmptyOctober 31st 2020, 8:20 pm

Texas could very likely go blue this election.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Moving, agin   Moving, agin - Page 5 EmptyOctober 31st 2020, 8:29 pm

theshyguy wrote:

It looks like it has been trending that way the last few years. Sorry to say.

Back to top Go down
Diseasel

PostSubject: Re: Moving, agin   Moving, agin - Page 5 EmptyNovember 7th 2020, 5:21 pm

theshyguy wrote:

Texas did relatively well. Arizona on the other hand went full on blue choosing Biden and two Dem senators.

After my oldest starts the senior college year I'm planning to move outta here. Maybe the main issues are the changing local politics, immigration impact, ongoing drought, and never ending higher daytime temperatures.
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Moving, agin   Moving, agin - Page 5 EmptyMay 28th 2021, 3:52 am

More progress.
Cleared and leveled about 1 acre of land.Moving, agin - Page 5 Thumbn10
Moving, agin - Page 5 Thumbn11
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Moving, agin   Moving, agin - Page 5 EmptyMay 28th 2021, 3:56 am

Working on adding a 18' x 48' lean-to.Moving, agin - Page 5 Lean-t10

Painting the rafters and bottom of the sheeting light blue. Makes bugs/birds not want to nest because they think it's the sky.
Moving, agin - Page 5 Lean-210
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Moving, agin   Moving, agin - Page 5 EmptyMay 28th 2021, 4:04 am

Yards a little messy.
Moving, agin - Page 5 Lean310
Back to top Go down
theshyguy

PostSubject: Re: Moving, agin   Moving, agin - Page 5 EmptyJune 30th 2021, 9:44 pm

Looks like good progress. The leveled area looks like it'd make a nice fishing pond.

Diesel Dan likes this post

Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Moving, agin   Moving, agin - Page 5 EmptyJuly 12th 2021, 1:45 am

Couple more pics.
Only thing left is the metal roofing. Have it on site but family issues put it on hold for a good week now.

Moving, agin - Page 5 Lean2s10
Moving, agin - Page 5 Lean2r10
Back to top Go down
theshyguy

PostSubject: Re: Moving, agin   Moving, agin - Page 5 EmptyJuly 15th 2021, 8:30 pm

That will be nice to store stuff under and keep that side of the house shaded.

Hope the family stuff is ok.
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Moving, agin   Moving, agin - Page 5 EmptyAugust 31st 2021, 12:15 am

theshyguy wrote:
That will be nice to store stuff under and keep that side of the house shaded.

Hope the family stuff is ok.

Garage isn't insulated (yet) and the temp change is noticeable due to the shade.
Going to drape shade cloth on the along the side to block the sun.

My dad passed away early July from stage 4 lung cancer and asbestosis.
From the diagnosis to the end was <6 months. Didn't suffer any real pain of drowning sensation. Towards the end was just always tired. Hospice was really helpful and there is some good medication that addresses anxiety. Works almost immediately.
He was 84, retired 26 yrs and a welder/boiler maker for a chemical plant.
He is missed but glad he didn't have to suffer and he did have a good run.
Back to top Go down
Diseasel

PostSubject: Re: Moving, agin   Moving, agin - Page 5 EmptyAugust 31st 2021, 12:38 am

Sorry to hear. It's good to focus on the life but glad hospice worked. Sublingual lorazepam can be a blessing for shortness of breath at end of life.

As of this year, my wife and I lost both sets of parents and now we take over the place holders for the oldest familial generation. Of course it's kind of like beer. You only rent it. Neutral

Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Moving, agin   Moving, agin - Page 5 EmptySeptember 1st 2021, 3:49 pm

Sorry to hear about your father.

Back to top Go down
theshyguy

PostSubject: Re: Moving, agin   Moving, agin - Page 5 EmptySeptember 15th 2021, 8:38 pm

Last dad Oct 16th 2019. Last 6 months he was tired a lot from heart failure and kidney failure. Last 6 weeks was really crappy as he couldn't get out of his nursing home bed. Luckily not a lot of pain though and passed in his sleep. 71 yo iirc.

Moved mom to stay with my sister and her husband and then May 2020 my brother-in-law passed and we ended up moving my sister and mom back to my moms house.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Moving, agin   Moving, agin - Page 5 EmptySeptember 16th 2021, 11:39 am

It is tough losing a father. Late in life at age 45 I started college. My mother had passed about 5 years previous but my father was still here. When graduation time came along my wife suggested that I invite my father to the graduation. He was senile at the time and I didn't want him there afraid that he would embarrasse me. The day before graduation he died from a burst artery. It has bothered me ever since.
Back to top Go down
theshyguy

PostSubject: Re: Moving, agin   Moving, agin - Page 5 EmptySeptember 18th 2021, 8:03 pm

I can understand being worried about that. It was kind of you not to invite him. It likely would have caused him worry of not going to see you or going and plausibly cause a scene for you and him; no win situation. But not inviting him, he likely didnt even know it was happening so there was nothing to worry about.
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Moving, agin   Moving, agin - Page 5 EmptyDecember 1st 2021, 12:41 am

Looking back on this thread I see I missed some updates.
Earlier in the year we sold the 30 acres for more than I thought possible. That is the reason for cleared land and shop lean-to.
Fiber expansion funding denied, state won't say why. T-mobile signal is much better, not great but noticeably better now.
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Moving, agin   Moving, agin - Page 5 EmptyDecember 1st 2021, 1:04 am

In the last few weeks we purchased 28 acres. Was for sale by owner and below market value, IMO and my realtor.
Was for a investment. Had been logged off and they made a mess of it. Figured clean up building sites, new perk test (had been done in 90s), cut in a proper driveway etc.

More time wife and kids spend out there they want to build on it. Has many pluses, also why it was/is a good investment. Location, 2-3 miles from a interchange onto I-65 but can't hear it. Internet at road...again. This area has 6" water main so there are fire hydrants. Land is natural, not reclaimed strip mining area like our current side of county. Nice rectangular shaped lot. One of the new neighbors make real moonshine too. drunken

In passing another neighbor mentioned that there is 125 acres just around the bend for sale for less then 3k/acre. Soo..wheels are turning again, lol.

Couple pics of the driveway project.
First one shows 40' of 30" culvert buried. Another 20' section sitting there waiting to be cut in half to add 10' to each end. Total of 60' of 30" culvert bedded in 60 tons of crusher run plate compacted. 2nd pic all 60' is in and starting to cover with clean fill we are digging out of hillside to widen and lower drive from road. Hoping to have a 24K lb vibrating pad compactor this weekend to compact fill in layers(lifts). Plan is for 4-5 feet of fill in the end.

Moving, agin - Page 5 Drive110
Moving, agin - Page 5 Drive210

pup likes this post

Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Moving, agin   Moving, agin - Page 5 EmptyDecember 1st 2021, 11:33 am

Nice looking piece of land there.
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Moving, agin   Moving, agin - Page 5 EmptyDecember 1st 2021, 11:06 pm

pup wrote:
Nice looking piece of land there.

Thanks, it has everything from sandstone/loamy soil to bedrock. Nice stand of cedars, had a bunch of old growth walnut, poplar, ash etc. Nice flat building area with rolling hills and decent ravines. Will make for nice atv trails.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Moving, agin   Moving, agin - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Moving, agin
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5