Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Waiting for the snow

Go down 
+3
ggbaird
joemac
TheQuig
7 posters
AuthorMessage
TheQuig

TheQuig

Waiting for the snow Empty
PostSubject: Waiting for the snow   Waiting for the snow EmptyJanuary 25th 2015, 9:59 pm

All last week and this weekend I have pretty much been sleeping from having the flu. I thought today would be a good day to get some needed groceries and went to the local supermarket only to find every parking space taken and mobs heading for the door. I decided to get on the highway and drive the 20 miles to Costco to shop. Pretty crowed their but not too bad. As I'm unpacking the truck, my neighbor asks if I bought enough water to hold me over. I smiled and said I didn't buy any. He then tells me we are in a direct path of a blizzard and can get between 2'-3' snow with high drifts and white out conditions. I have plenty of food, wood for only 3 days, and enough fuel to run the generator for about 3 days. My next door neighbor has a good sized wood pile so I'm just waiting for the event. All vehicles are fueled up and off the road by police order.

joemac

PostSubject: Re: Waiting for the snow   Waiting for the snow EmptyJanuary 25th 2015, 10:35 pm

Being prepared is never a bad thing. Tell my kids that all the time.

You likely got more volume at Costco versus the what's left over at the local grocery store.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Waiting for the snow   Waiting for the snow EmptyJanuary 26th 2015, 12:31 pm

Yes, but I can't seem to ever get out of Costco without spending more than I hoped to. But your right, I did come home with volume.

PostSubject: Re: Waiting for the snow   Waiting for the snow EmptyJanuary 26th 2015, 2:10 pm

I usually head to Costco looking to spend less than fifty bucks and almost always come out 200 bucks poorer.
Back to top Go down
https://pickupownersgroup.forumotion.com/
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Waiting for the snow   Waiting for the snow EmptyJanuary 26th 2015, 2:17 pm

I think I'm prepped for the weeks weather. Might need a couple more beers. Gonna be touch and go on that.
Waiting for the snow B8PDDG7CAAAZQfl
Back to top Go down
ggbaird

PostSubject: Re: Waiting for the snow   Waiting for the snow EmptyJanuary 26th 2015, 3:27 pm

That should be rough Jason. Hope you pull through it ok.
Back to top Go down
ggbaird

PostSubject: Re: Waiting for the snow   Waiting for the snow EmptyJanuary 26th 2015, 3:28 pm

Keep us updated with the situation in your area Rich, as long as power holds up. Take care.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Waiting for the snow   Waiting for the snow EmptyJanuary 26th 2015, 6:01 pm

Thanks Greg.
It's supposed to be a light weigh snow so that should help with power lines. The wind will be oover 50 mph at times so that is more of a concern.
Getting out of Costco and spending less than $200 is considered a good day.
Jason,
I guess you can't tell your kids you walked to school uphill both ways in the snow. Enjoy the mild weather, it sound pretty good right now.
School is closed for tomorrow, and they told my wife they don't expect to open again this week. I kind of doubt that but you never know.

pup

PostSubject: Re: Waiting for the snow   Waiting for the snow EmptyJanuary 26th 2015, 6:12 pm

We don't get snow as much as we get ice. Haven't gotten either this season so far, but it's been close a few times. Been raining and right at 32. It slushed up, but never iced up.

We had an epic ice storm last winter. I lost most of my tree out front.
Waiting for the snow 1467308_10201032777122939_1901001679_n
Pic of mainly ice/sleet coverage.
Waiting for the snow 1511227_10201405159032254_1863715937_n

Couple years back, we got hit pretty good with the snow.
Waiting for the snow 24346_1235472528270_8297813_n
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Waiting for the snow   Waiting for the snow EmptyJanuary 26th 2015, 7:24 pm

Ice is the killer, a lot less than snow. We live close to the ocean and 2 miles west of us can get a lot of snow and we will get rain instead. It depends on which way the storms come.

pup

PostSubject: Re: Waiting for the snow   Waiting for the snow EmptyJanuary 27th 2015, 11:23 am

Looks like the storm was as overhyped as Obama.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Waiting for the snow   Waiting for the snow EmptyJanuary 27th 2015, 1:30 pm

6" tops is all we received. The wind was up there shaking the house pretty good. When I looked out the window this morning and saw my next door neighbor walking her dogs from her motorized wheel chair (scooter) I knew it didn't hit. 1"-2" more when it stops early afternoon. I use the shovel instead of taking out the snow blower. I like snow but when they warn you for days and you get next to nothing it pisses me off. Last night while trying to watch my usual TV shows that put you to sleep, there was only the weatherman showing how bad it will be.
Evan may have seen more, I'll text him later. I haven't heard from him of Mistral since Christmas.

pup

PostSubject: Re: Waiting for the snow   Waiting for the snow EmptyJanuary 27th 2015, 2:01 pm

Evan checks in from time to time on Facebook. I haven't heard from Mistral for years. He's just ashamed of voting repeatedly for Obama I bet...lol
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Waiting for the snow   Waiting for the snow EmptyJanuary 27th 2015, 3:59 pm

Evan and I usually text every two weeks or so. I think he found a nice girl and enjoying life. Bill is doing okay, I have been getting Linkedin from him lately.

The snow is no more than 6". I wasn't going to break out the snow blower but the plow pushed it up 18" and 5' width. I hand shovel the walk and driveway and then used the blower for the front yard to the curb. I also did that for the older people that live close by but let the young ones hand shovel. Most of them have blowers and can get them out of the garage like I did if they wanted. The mailman was the earliest I have ever seen. He was smart and was able to drive to the mail boxes before the plows got there first.

Breathing Borla

PostSubject: Re: Waiting for the snow   Waiting for the snow EmptyJanuary 27th 2015, 6:06 pm

I have used the new ariens a few times this year so far, nothing like last year though

I scared it away with the new blower LOL

2010 Tundra 4x4 5.7 , 33" Cooper ST Maxx on RW Wheels (sold)
Back to top Go down
Bambam
Admin
Bambam

PostSubject: Re: Waiting for the snow   Waiting for the snow EmptyJanuary 28th 2015, 2:13 pm

I think I ended up with 8 or so inches, East of me they were over 2' ! Glad it missed us, and it was so light and fluffy that my snowblower had no problem blasting through, the cheap plastic chute took a beating though! Cheap craftsman junk.. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Waiting for the snow   Waiting for the snow EmptyJanuary 28th 2015, 3:15 pm

While in college about 13 years ago (went late, started at age 44) my wife bought me a 7.5 hp two stroke Toro blower with a rubber blade. I opened the box and it looked like a POS and I wouldn't take it out of the box for 2 weeks after Christmas. I wanted a big 4 stroke with a headlight and steel blade that had a shear pin. Man, was I mistaken. This thing pulls me along and throws snow like no ones business. I've changed the rubber blades out once, and will replace them after this season along with the serpentine belt. It was well worth the money.

PostSubject: Re: Waiting for the snow   Waiting for the snow EmptyJanuary 28th 2015, 3:20 pm

My neighbour bought one of those new '3 Stage' snow blowers. A 10 hp Cub Cadet.
DAMN! Does that thing ever throw snow!
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Waiting for the snow   Waiting for the snow EmptyJanuary 28th 2015, 3:43 pm

I've never seen a snow blower other than in pictures.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Waiting for the snow   Waiting for the snow EmptyJanuary 28th 2015, 5:23 pm

That's too bad Jason. Traditionally, the first time of the season that a snow blower is used, all the women run naked through the streets and get covered by the snow from the snow blower. It happens so fast that I can't get my phone out to take a picture. The bad part is some of the women are not spring chickens.

pup

PostSubject: Re: Waiting for the snow   Waiting for the snow EmptyJanuary 28th 2015, 5:35 pm

It's like "riding season" for motorcycles...we have one of those. Generally lasts 360 days or so. Sometimes more.

Right at 80 here today, sunny, nice breeze out of the south...cooling down tomorrow and turning to cold rain over the weekend though.

Back to more normal temps for this time of year.
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Waiting for the snow   Waiting for the snow EmptyJanuary 29th 2015, 2:23 pm

pup wrote:
It's like "riding season" for motorcycles...we have one of those. Generally lasts 360 days or so. Sometimes more.

Sounds like our "shade season".
We ended up moving to the second cloudiest part of the country behind the pacific NW.
That is why the built the Ravenna arsenal back in WWII, to protect from aerial surveillance.
Back to top Go down
ggbaird

PostSubject: Re: Waiting for the snow   Waiting for the snow EmptyJanuary 29th 2015, 2:42 pm

Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Waiting for the snow   Waiting for the snow EmptyJanuary 29th 2015, 4:36 pm

Diesel Dan wrote:
pup wrote:

Sounds like our "shade season".
We ended up moving to the second cloudiest part of the country behind the pacific NW.
That is why the built the Ravenna arsenal back in WWII, to protect from aerial surveillance.

I lived in Ohio for 4 months while working at Perry Nuclear. I don't think I saw the sun once while I was there. I did work the night shift though. We stayed from mid-January to mid-May and it seemed like it snowed every night off of Lake Erie. We lived near Ashtabula.

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Waiting for the snow   Waiting for the snow EmptyJanuary 30th 2015, 1:27 am

TheQuig wrote:
We lived near Ashtabula.

I'm about an hour south of there.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Waiting for the snow   Waiting for the snow EmptyJanuary 30th 2015, 11:19 am

At the time, I didn't know that there was a "wine country" in Ohio. It makes sense with the moisture coming off the lakes.

PostSubject: Re: Waiting for the snow   Waiting for the snow Empty

Back to top Go down

Waiting for the snow
Page 1 of 1