Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Solar Freakin' Roadways

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ggbaird

Solar Freakin' Roadways Empty
PostSubject: Solar Freakin' Roadways   Solar Freakin' Roadways EmptyMay 23rd 2014, 2:58 pm

Back to top Go down
https://pickupownersgroup.forumotion.com/
joemac

joemac

PostSubject: Re: Solar Freakin' Roadways   Solar Freakin' Roadways EmptyMay 23rd 2014, 5:23 pm

Innovative, grass roots, like it.

Would like to see a cost benefit analysis. Per square foot the cost to implement versus asphalt or concrete and the return on investment. Is it 24 months, 5 years, 10 years.

Other area of interest would be durability, comparison of traction in various weather conditions.
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Solar Freakin' Roadways   Solar Freakin' Roadways EmptyMay 24th 2014, 12:15 am

Don't see it working in the north.
Snow plows are terrible on the roads let alone the salt.
Yeah I know they are claiming it will self melt but when it doesn't out come the plows.

We'd be farther ahead to cover all roof tops in solar panels, IMO. Infrastructure is already there.
Back to top Go down
joemac

joemac

PostSubject: Re: Solar Freakin' Roadways   Solar Freakin' Roadways EmptyMay 25th 2014, 1:26 pm

Main difference is public money versus private money.  Recent history indicates public money is easier to come by when talking in terms of the scale referenced.
Back to top Go down
shatto

shatto

PostSubject: Re: Solar Freakin' Roadways   Solar Freakin' Roadways EmptyMay 25th 2014, 1:48 pm

Seems to me that tweaking (sure hope I used the correct word....spelled properly Wink)
the technology would allow reverse use, like a thermocouple, and could be used to warm the road up there in the frozen tundra.

The problem with using public money is that history clearly shows us that the concept, even if it does work,
will cost more than if done privately.
And there is the not inconsiderable matter of confiscating said dollars from people to finance it.
Back to top Go down
Scout

Scout

PostSubject: Re: Solar Freakin' Roadways   Solar Freakin' Roadways EmptyMay 25th 2014, 5:22 pm

I'm thinking cost and some serious durability testing in all different climates could make or break this. And I'm not sold on the traction it can provide in slippery conditions.
Back to top Go down
joemac

joemac

PostSubject: Re: Solar Freakin' Roadways   Solar Freakin' Roadways EmptyMay 26th 2014, 12:17 pm

We used to be relatively good at using public money as an investment into infrastructure that would return the benefit to the people via private sector profitability. Today we don't have a good track record, as it seems what's sold to us as public investment, is simply a big money give away to those connected.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Solar Freakin' Roadways   Solar Freakin' Roadways Empty

Back to top Go down

Solar Freakin' Roadways
Page 1 of 1