Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Recovery Straps

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
shatto

shatto

Recovery Straps - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery Straps   Recovery Straps - Page 2 EmptyNovember 2nd 2013, 4:49 pm

We had a, maybe, 2" Nylon rope that was excellent for pulling the Land Rover out of the mud.
I suppose a strap will stretch, maybe as much as the rope, but in either case the trick is to gently take up the slack before adding power.

By the way, somewhere, sometime, I saw "add-on" tow-hooks you bolt to the chassis. Using existing holes if memory serves.

Ask Brad Bergholdt, the car columnist, on Facebook. He has a Chevy truck. In Alaska.
Back to top Go down
kilogulf59

kilogulf59

PostSubject: Re: Recovery Straps   Recovery Straps - Page 2 EmptyNovember 2nd 2013, 5:30 pm

Thanks, I'll look into it...
Back to top Go down
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/iccf/
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Recovery Straps   Recovery Straps - Page 2 EmptyNovember 2nd 2013, 8:50 pm

shatto wrote:
but in either case the trick is to gently take up the slack before adding power.
You need to go mud boggin shatto!
The trick there is to get as much slack in the strap as possible BEFORE adding the power! You'd better make darn sure you know your hook points for that stuff. I've had to get 20' runs with a 6K lb suburban and the stuck truck DID NOT come out, I went backwards in a hurry.Shocked 

PSA:
I have been on runs where a 3/4" shackle was sling shot through the back window and hit a passenger sending him to the hospital with a broken arm and other minor cuts from the glass. Couple years later a local was killed by similar accident. It is usually(almost always) from poor mounting points.

When my straps start to fray I cut the end off so it can't be used until fixed. When I hook up I make sure the strap is straight, not twisted or looped into a knot. If I don't like what you have to hook up to, I don't. It is my call.
Back to top Go down
kilogulf59

kilogulf59

PostSubject: Re: Recovery Straps   Recovery Straps - Page 2 EmptyMarch 5th 2014, 9:46 pm

FYI...it paid for itself today....I was driving the mail route with the wife delivering. I turned around in a driveway and got sucked into the ditch/culvert. We call our son and in about a half hour total we recovered the silver Chevy with the red Chevy...Big Red dragged out Old Bessie like she was a Tonka Toy...

Back to top Go down
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/iccf/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recovery Straps   Recovery Straps - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Recovery Straps
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2