Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Arlington National Cemetary

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TheQuig

TheQuig

Arlington National Cemetary Empty
PostSubject: Arlington National Cemetary   Arlington National Cemetary EmptyMay 15th 2019, 6:17 pm

I received 3 days of work at my favorite school starting today. The history teacher whom I know well asked if I wanted the days. He never said why he was taking off, and I didn't ask him. As it turns out, his father died 8 months ago and there was finally a date to have him buried at Arlington. I thought that was pretty cool. In his class, I get to watch the Ken Burns series on Vietnam for the 3 days. I have seen the first episode "Deja vu" 3 times today. There could be a lot worse classes than this one. I'm happy to get it, all seniors, have my daughter in the last block. At one time or another most of the seniors have been at my home. There are only 68 of them.
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Arlington National Cemetary   Arlington National Cemetary EmptyMay 15th 2019, 11:49 pm

That sounds cool.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Arlington National Cemetary   Arlington National Cemetary EmptyMay 16th 2019, 9:32 am

Back in the early 60's when my Dad was stationed out there(Kennedy Era), mom's firstborn(daughter) was stillborn and is buried in Arlington National Cemetary.

Arlington National Cemetary Jbreed10

The old man was a helicopter mechanic in the Marines...saw Cuba from a landing craft when the Bay of Pigs was called off, then worked on Marine One, the helicopter that shuttled Kennedy around.

His enlistment was up, came back to Texas. His old unit was one of the first to land in Vietnam just a few month later.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Arlington National Cemetary   Arlington National Cemetary EmptyMay 16th 2019, 5:48 pm

https://www.usmcmuseum.com/sikorsky-uh-34d.html

This is the actual helicopter his father flew in Vietnam. I found out today for the Obit that Chris's father did 2 tours in Vietnam flying a C 34 medical evac helicopter. He later went on to fly for American Airlines for 25 years.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Arlington National Cemetary   Arlington National Cemetary EmptyMay 16th 2019, 5:49 pm

pup wrote:
Back in the early 60's when my Dad was stationed out there(Kennedy Era), mom's firstborn(daughter) was stillborn and is buried in Arlington National Cemetary.

Arlington National Cemetary Jbreed10

The old man was a helicopter mechanic in the Marines...saw Cuba from a landing craft when the Bay of Pigs was called off, then worked on Marine One, the helicopter that shuttled Kennedy around.

His enlistment was up, came back to Texas. His old unit was one of the first to land in Vietnam just a few month later.

I never knew civilians were buried there. Learn something new everyday!
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Arlington National Cemetary   Arlington National Cemetary EmptyMay 16th 2019, 6:48 pm

I think it was because he was active duty at the time and that made his kids eligible. Don't know if it's still the case or not.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Arlington National Cemetary   Arlington National Cemetary EmptyMay 16th 2019, 7:37 pm

Never saw here headstone until today. Your post prompted me to look it up and see if I could find a marker of some sort. Funny how things work sometimes...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Arlington National Cemetary   Arlington National Cemetary Empty

Back to top Go down

Arlington National Cemetary
Page 1 of 1