Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Play in Steering:

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
TheQuig

TheQuig

Play in Steering: Empty
PostSubject: Play in Steering:   Play in Steering: EmptyApril 24th 2013, 6:56 pm

I have driven my wife's Yukon for the first time in quite a while. When sitting still, you can move the steering wheel about 1/4" from side to side. 49K on the SUV. Tie rods? Ball Joints? My wife doesn't notice it, but my truck is tight and this feels dangerous to me.
Back to top Go down
ggbaird

PostSubject: Re: Play in Steering:   Play in Steering: EmptyApril 24th 2013, 7:11 pm

I think I recall hearing something about the joint in the steering column itself. Can't remember for sure though.
Back to top Go down
https://pickupownersgroup.forumotion.com/
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Play in Steering:   Play in Steering: EmptyApril 24th 2013, 7:30 pm

I do know there has been problems in the shaft in the past. They replace it or one of the parts. According to my wife, there is no play in her steering and I am wrong. Does she really think I want to spend free time working on her vehicle?
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Play in Steering:   Play in Steering: EmptyApril 25th 2013, 12:33 am

It is possible a component is worn.
Time to get the jack out. Lift one tire up and move side to side and watch components. As stated do check the intermediate shaft.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Play in Steering:   Play in Steering: EmptyApril 25th 2013, 11:48 pm

I'll have time this Monday to really take the time and check it out. First I'm checking the intermediate shaft, then my next guess is tie rods or ball joints.
Back to top Go down
joemac

joemac

PostSubject: Re: Play in Steering:   Play in Steering: EmptyApril 26th 2013, 10:47 pm

What year Yukon?
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Play in Steering:   Play in Steering: EmptyApril 28th 2013, 5:42 pm

2008. The strange part is my wife still insists there is no problem. I guess when you drive it everyday you just don't notice it. I took off Monday to go shooting, so I'll jack it up in the afternoon and see where the play is coming from.
Back to top Go down
joemac

joemac

PostSubject: Re: Play in Steering:   Play in Steering: EmptyApril 28th 2013, 6:30 pm

I believe it's a rack and pinion hydraulic assist unit correct? My wife had a 2007 of which going from memory I believe should be mechanical the same.

Areas to look at:

Ball joints - jack one wheel up off the pavement, on same wheel/tire, pull push at 12 and 6 o'clock on tire, should be no noticeable movement.

Tie rods, outer, inner, and rack - same test as above exception being push and pull at 3 and 9 o'clock.

Steering linkage - With helper have someone attempt to rotate wheel left or right only light pressure, inspect ISS, lower steering shaft, and where the lower steering shaft attaches to the top of the rack. On the latter portion mark a scribe mark on the rack input and also the lower shaft coupling to observe any slip.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Play in Steering:   Play in Steering: EmptyApril 29th 2013, 10:46 am

I'll try that today if the rain stops. It was supposed to be nice today so I took off the day off, and now stuck in the house.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Play in Steering:   Play in Steering: EmptyJuly 2nd 2015, 3:15 pm

I took the Yukon in as it's transmission cooler lines near the connection to the radiator were leaking. I also asked them to look at the lines near the power steering pump and told them the front end seemed loose to me. $950 later, two transmission lines were replaced, power steering pump was shot and leaking along with it lines. They also wanted to do a rear rotor and pad replacement for $530. I declined on the brakes, bought 2 rotors and pads and had my 2 boys change them out while I watched. Cost was just under $200. I had done the front rotors and pads last summer.
Dealer tech said the front end all looked solid and tight. I hope so, the Yukon just left for Georgia and Florida for a month. I get to stay home and feed the ducks, cat, and turtle. Next month it''s my turn, I'm thinking Newfoundland.
Back to top Go down
ggbaird

PostSubject: Re: Play in Steering:   Play in Steering: EmptyJuly 2nd 2015, 3:43 pm

TheQuig wrote:
Next month it''s my turn, I'm thinking Newfoundland.

I was born and raised in Newfoundland. Not a great place to live because of its poor economy, but it's always an awesome holiday! Great food, beautiful scenary, great atmosphere and the most friendly people! I may be a bit biased, but I've yet to hear of anyone who's gone there and didn't have a good time. Most go back again.

If you do make it there, you have to fill me in on your visit once you return.
Back to top Go down
https://pickupownersgroup.forumotion.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Play in Steering:   Play in Steering: Empty

Back to top Go down

Play in Steering:
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Garage :: Suspension-
Jump to: