Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Heart Catheterization

Go down 
+4
Diesel Dan
erude
TheQuig
pup
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
pup

pup

Heart Catheterization Empty
PostSubject: Heart Catheterization   Heart Catheterization EmptyJuly 14th 2017, 2:20 pm

Go in next Thursday for one. Been having increasing issues since April, all the testing, Calcium CT Screen score of 386(Over 400 is real bad), then bombing a Stress Test this morning, points to some blockages.

Going in through the wrist. Says I should be able to go home later the same day, depending on what is found and if it can be "fixed" at that time or not.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Heart Catheterization   Heart Catheterization EmptyJuly 14th 2017, 6:56 pm

Good luck on that Pup. Let us know how you make out. Don't worry about the procedure as they are very common.
Back to top Go down
erude

PostSubject: Re: Heart Catheterization   Heart Catheterization EmptyJuly 16th 2017, 12:36 am

Good luck Pup. I hope everything goes well.
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Heart Catheterization   Heart Catheterization EmptyJuly 16th 2017, 11:16 am

Best wishes, good luck.
Back to top Go down
Diseasel

PostSubject: Re: Heart Catheterization   Heart Catheterization EmptyJuly 19th 2017, 11:17 am

Yes, best wishes! It's one of those life changing crossroads but do-able. I noticed several Deadliest Catch captains are living it out on screen.
Back to top Go down
Bambam
Admin
Bambam

PostSubject: Re: Heart Catheterization   Heart Catheterization EmptyJuly 19th 2017, 11:56 am

Good luck Pup
Back to top Go down
theshyguy

PostSubject: Re: Heart Catheterization   Heart Catheterization EmptyJuly 19th 2017, 10:11 pm

Good luck man! I'll say some prayers.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Heart Catheterization   Heart Catheterization EmptyJuly 21st 2017, 4:16 am

2 70 plus percent blockages they couldnt get to with stents. Gonna try to treat with medication first, if it doesnt work, it will be bypass surgery time. They went thru my wrist and groin both trying to get things done.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Heart Catheterization   Heart Catheterization EmptyJuly 22nd 2017, 3:28 am

Hopefully the medication will work. Were you awake?
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Heart Catheterization   Heart Catheterization EmptyJuly 22nd 2017, 7:43 am

Yes. Getting both sides of your junk shaved down in an OR full of people while picking out what music you want to hear during the procedure is quite unique.
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Heart Catheterization   Heart Catheterization EmptyJuly 22nd 2017, 8:37 pm

Were you waiting for them to ask about a happy ending?
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Heart Catheterization   Heart Catheterization EmptyJuly 22nd 2017, 9:27 pm

I was waiting on them to fix the shit.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Heart Catheterization   Heart Catheterization EmptyJuly 23rd 2017, 12:24 pm

pup wrote:
Yes. Getting both sides of your junk shaved down in an OR full of people while picking out what music you want to hear during the procedure is quite unique.

I agree, having gone thru surgery several times where you are shaved and exposed to all the people in the OR. At the time I was worried about the procedure and thought about it afterwards.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Heart Catheterization   Heart Catheterization EmptyJuly 26th 2017, 2:12 pm

Went in for the follow up this morning. The good news was the blockages are on the "good" side of the heart, and aren't likely to cause a big heart attack. But can. Just not likely too. If they were on the right side, they would have done the bypass last week. As it stands, if I have to go back to the ER, its bypass time. If the symptoms become worse or if I cannot deal with it any longer, its bypass time. The meds now are to reduce the symptoms to make them easier to deal with.

The surgeon he consulted with wanted to do the bypass already, and my Dr. would call and schedule it if I wanted to now. 70% blockage is the cutoff for surgery or not, and mine is actually closer to 80%. He wanted to consult with me with a clear head and not sedated to see how I wanted to proceed. He left it up to me on what I wanted to try. One blockage is kinda around the back side of the heart, one is in the front. So the bypass would be the old style open the chest up fully, 5 or 6 day hospital stay and weeks of recovery at home.

Gonna try the meds for a month and see how I’m managing. One new med is supposed to make it easier to exercise and work. He just upped the dosage on some others. Can’t really make the blockages go away, but maybe can stop them from getting worse.

He did say the bypasses would fix it 100%. And some people can manage fine without getting to the point of surgery. Pretty much on what I can handle or if the symptoms get worse.

Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Heart Catheterization   Heart Catheterization EmptyJuly 26th 2017, 3:56 pm

I know this is not what you want to hear, but get the surgery over with. Next summer it will be a thing of the past and you can go to Colorado feeling good and not worrying if you will have a heart attack. I am like you, why get it done now if I'm getting around fine. The younger you are, the quicker you will recover. The only reason I would hold it off would be to get my body stronger and in better physical shape to withstand surgery. Surgery is not fun, but it will be past you before you know it. Good luck, prayers sent.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Heart Catheterization   Heart Catheterization EmptyJuly 26th 2017, 4:09 pm

Im thinking thats what this month is really all about. Trying to get me in better shape for the inevitable.
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Heart Catheterization   Heart Catheterization EmptyJuly 28th 2017, 11:13 am

I'll second the get in best shape as possible.

My dad is 80 and had colon cancer surgery recently. He is in decent shape, cuts fire wood, works out doors quite a bit etc. 3 days after surgery he was walking in the woods, sounding good etc. Then a suture, behind the colon, out of sight failed and caused an absess that ruptured. 2-3 weeks later he was finally released after multiple surgeries and very weak. 1 month later he is doing much better. If not for having been in good shape it would have been much harder on him or fatal.

It is major surgery BUT is a common procedure.
Back to top Go down
Diseasel

PostSubject: Re: Heart Catheterization   Heart Catheterization EmptyJuly 29th 2017, 12:41 pm

I agree, a bypass surgery is the way to go. They say prognosis is good but it's best to keep in touch with the cardiology office. My father in law didn't and it didn't work out for him but he wasn't good about taking medical advice, taking his blood pressure meds, etc.
Back to top Go down
erude

PostSubject: Re: Heart Catheterization   Heart Catheterization EmptyJuly 29th 2017, 6:51 pm

I wish it worked out better jason, but bypass surgery is the way to go. My friend probably had it 10-15 years ago. He does have Emphysema which limits him now but he's been good otherwise.
Back to top Go down
theshyguy

PostSubject: Re: Heart Catheterization   Heart Catheterization EmptyJuly 31st 2017, 7:05 pm

Bypass now if its too painful or hold off a few months while you get in better shape so the recovery is easier. My dad had triple bypass right at 20 years ago and is still going strong with it. His circulation surgery for his leg a few months ago is a whole different story though; involves staples, going septic and 2 follow-up surgeries. The sooner the better is certainly the way to go!
Back to top Go down
rustbucket

PostSubject: Re: Heart Catheterization   Heart Catheterization EmptyAugust 3rd 2017, 1:22 am

I'd only echo what the others have said- go for the bypass. The meds will probably help but in the long term you'll probably be better off with the bypass... you've always struck me as a "doer" and not a sit around type of guy. Having your ticker working at 100% can only help. Getting split open is no picnic ... I've had it done twice (mitral valve failure, aortic aneurysm) and recovery takes a while. Cardiac rehab (mostly on a treadmill) isn't much fun either but after a year or so I'd be willing to wager a Washington or two you'll feel better than you have in a long while. All the best from here, pup
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Heart Catheterization   Heart Catheterization EmptyAugust 22nd 2017, 5:04 pm

Heart Surgeon's office will be calling me about setting up an appmnt to discuss the surgery and setup the time and place for that.

Plan A didn't work. Plan B is being implemented.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Heart Catheterization   Heart Catheterization EmptyAugust 22nd 2017, 5:45 pm

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Diseasel

PostSubject: Re: Heart Catheterization   Heart Catheterization EmptyAugust 22nd 2017, 11:36 pm

Yes, all the best! Get'r done.
Back to top Go down
Bambam
Admin
Bambam

PostSubject: Re: Heart Catheterization   Heart Catheterization EmptyAugust 23rd 2017, 3:25 pm

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Heart Catheterization   Heart Catheterization EmptyAugust 25th 2017, 2:23 pm

Double Bypass Derby is scheduled for the morning of Sept 6.
Back to top Go down
Bambam
Admin
Bambam

PostSubject: Re: Heart Catheterization   Heart Catheterization EmptyAugust 25th 2017, 2:53 pm

Praying for you !
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Heart Catheterization   Heart Catheterization EmptyAugust 26th 2017, 7:37 pm

Bambam wrote:
Good luck.
X2, Heart Catheterization 233199915
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

PostSubject: Re: Heart Catheterization   Heart Catheterization EmptySeptember 9th 2017, 12:42 pm

Made it thru the surgery on thursday. Been up and walking today. Sore as hell, but things went well. Should go home Monday or Tuesday
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Heart Catheterization   Heart Catheterization EmptySeptember 9th 2017, 3:36 pm

That is great to hear. Keep getting up and walking it's the best thing for a quick recovery as long as you don't overdo it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heart Catheterization   Heart Catheterization Empty

Back to top Go down

Heart Catheterization
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next