Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

MPG: Ram vs Ford

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ggbaird

MPG: Ram vs Ford Empty
PostSubject: MPG: Ram vs Ford   MPG: Ram vs Ford EmptyFebruary 14th 2015, 10:41 pm

2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel versus 2015 Ford F-150 2.7L EcoBoost

MPG: Ram vs Ford Image58

Quote :
Which gets better MPGs on the highway? The 2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel or the 2015 Ford F-150 2.7L EcoBoost? The answer may be obvious if you look at the EPA estimates for each truck, but we had a hunch that we would see different numbers on the stretch of I-25 highway north of Denver. This is TFLtruck’s “eco” real-world fuel economy test.

Route / Environment:

The highway run consists of a 33.5 mile highway-only loop: 18 miles northbound on I-25 and 15.5 miles southbound. Both trucks were tested the same day (Feb 13, 2015) within two hours of each other. The temperature was around 64F with calm wind conditions. Both trucks accelerated with partial throttle via the on-ramp and cruise control was set at 65 MPH. We selected 65 MPH because this is the speed limit on many highways around the country and most states limit the speed of towing pickups to 65 MPH.

Both trucks were empty with one person (the same driver in both trucks). Both trucks had nearly full fuel tanks. The Ford used up several gallons before the test and was showing closer to 3/4 tank.

Result:

The 2015 Ford F-150 SuperCab 2.7L EcoBoost Lariat 4×4 recorded 27.8 MPG on the trip computer. The 2015 Ram 1500 CrewCab 3.0 EcoDiesel Outdoorsman 4×4 recorded 30.1 MPG.

Both trucks cruised effortlessly, but the Ford was actually running closer to 1,700 rpm at 65 mph. The Ram was humming at around 1,900 rpm. The EcoBoost surprised with a number considerable higher than the EPA highway estimates. The EcoDiesel’s result was not a big surprise as diesels tend to get better results on the highway.

TFL Truck
Back to top Go down
https://pickupownersgroup.forumotion.com/
Breathing Borla

Breathing Borla

PostSubject: Re: MPG: Ram vs Ford   MPG: Ram vs Ford EmptyFebruary 16th 2015, 11:57 am

they should have at least mentioned the rear end difference when discussing the RPM at 65.

no thanks on either for me really though.

I'm like large rumbling V8s, give me a tundra 5.7, Ram 5.7, or GM 6.2 over all this turbo crap

2010 Tundra 4x4 5.7 , 33" Cooper ST Maxx on RW Wheels (sold)
Back to top Go down
Charlie in TX

Charlie in TX

PostSubject: Re: MPG: Ram vs Ford   MPG: Ram vs Ford EmptyFebruary 20th 2015, 6:36 pm

I am surprised to see the gasser beat the EPA ratings. That is unusual for the EcoBoost.

I like my big v8. I think it will be dead in the near future. Might have to get a HellCat powered sport when they come out. I'd like to see 700hp in a truck.
Back to top Go down
rustbucket

PostSubject: Re: MPG: Ram vs Ford   MPG: Ram vs Ford EmptyFebruary 21st 2015, 9:58 pm

Charlie in TX wrote:
I am surprised to see the gasser beat the EPA ratings. That is unusual for the EcoBoost.

I'm not too surprised ... keep your foot out of it and you're driving a V-6. Put your foot in it and all bets are off. Knew a couple of runners at the local Ford dealer when the F-150 3.5L EB was still fairly new and they were amazed they were getting 22-24 mpg doing dealer swap runs. As for keeping your big V-8's, we need to get rid of more than a few knuckleheads in D.C. for that to happen ... that can't come soon enough.

Back to top Go down
ggbaird

PostSubject: Re: MPG: Ram vs Ford   MPG: Ram vs Ford EmptyFebruary 22nd 2015, 10:00 am

rustbucket wrote:
...we need to get rid of more than a few knuckleheads in D.C.

Good luck with that!
Back to top Go down
https://pickupownersgroup.forumotion.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MPG: Ram vs Ford   MPG: Ram vs Ford Empty

Back to top Go down

MPG: Ram vs Ford
Page 1 of 1