Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tweel

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ggbaird

Tweel Empty
PostSubject: Tweel   Tweel EmptyNovember 20th 2014, 3:33 pm

Michelin Finally Commits to Mass-Producing the 'Tweel' Airless Tire

Tweel Image14

Quote :
Michelin dedicated a new South Carolina factory to making the Tweel; a "tire/wheel" that uses flexible spindles where a conventional tire holds air. The Tweel can never go flat and never be punctured, and after talking about it for a decade Michelin is finally going to start making it in quantities.

We've seen Tweels tested on just about everything from wheelchairs to lunar rovers, and they've even already been sold to consumers for small skid-steer loader construction vehicles. Michelin's Vice President of Tweel Technologies Ralph Dimenna told Greenville News they've sold "thousands" for that application, and that the company has run up to the limit they could produce with "prototype-making equipment."

Apparently the Tweel is a dream the Michelin's keen to keep chasing, because as of today the company's allocated $50 million, a 135,000 square-foot facility, and 100 staff members dedicated to consistently producing Tweels.

Dimenna went on to say the Tweel is focused on "lower-speed, off-road applications where downtime from flat tires is a concern," though former Michelin research director Ralph Hulseman thinks the Tweel will see duty on passenger cars at some point in the future.

For now, the Tweel will be the OEM "tire" on the John Deere ZTrak 900 lawn mower.

Tweel Image15

Truck Yeah
Back to top Go down
https://pickupownersgroup.forumotion.com/
TheQuig

TheQuig

Tweel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tweel   Tweel EmptyNovember 20th 2014, 4:24 pm

That would be nice. On my lawn tractor I have a tire that keeps going flat even after taking it in for a repair. I guess next summer I'll just put tires on it.

Tweel
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Garage :: Tires & Wheels-
Jump to: