Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Lesson Learned!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
TheQuig

TheQuig

Lesson Learned! Empty
PostSubject: Lesson Learned!   Lesson Learned! EmptyNovember 8th 2014, 6:52 pm

3 years ago I bought a new dishwasher that did a lousy job cleaning the dishes. A week ago when I came downstairs I found a blinking light saying power failure. Okay, breaker didn't trip so I reset it anyway. Dishwasher lights come on but it stops after 5 minutes with the power failure light. Play this game for about 2 hours, shop for 2 days and buy a new dishwasher. It comes on Tuesday and since my knee is still not healed after surgery I waited until the 16 year old came home from school and he wired and connected the plumbing.
Time to try it out. Throw the breaker on, dishwasher lights up, then sends a power fail signal. I called a friend from my past job and he had me leave all the breakers on and put a Fluke to them. They all read 120 volts except for the dishwasher, it read 110 volts. Replaced the breaker, new one works fine. I don't mind replacing the older one that didn't clean well, but it would have been nice to do it at a more slower pace.
Now my wife says," you know, that same problem has popped up with the washing machine. Monday I'll pull that breaker and the one for the dryer and replace them. By my best guess they are at least 40 years old.

Diesel Dan

Lesson Learned! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lesson Learned!   Lesson Learned! EmptyNovember 9th 2014, 1:08 am

You don't have a Pacific Federal panel box do you?
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

Lesson Learned! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lesson Learned!   Lesson Learned! EmptyNovember 9th 2014, 9:05 am

Crous Hinds seems to be the brand name on it.

Diesel Dan

Lesson Learned! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lesson Learned!   Lesson Learned! EmptyNovember 9th 2014, 11:06 am

Ok, the PF models are know fire hazards that's why I asked.
Back to top Go down
rustbucket

Lesson Learned! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lesson Learned!   Lesson Learned! EmptyNovember 9th 2014, 1:17 pm

Diesel Dan wrote:
Ok, the PF models are know fire hazards that's why I asked.

Fwiw ...http://www.angieslist.com/articles/your-federal-pacific-circuit-breaker-panel-safe.htm
Back to top Go down
joemac

joemac

Lesson Learned! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lesson Learned!   Lesson Learned! EmptyNovember 9th 2014, 1:47 pm

I had a very similar circumstance occur. Our 120v deep freeze keep blowing the 30 amp breaker and the GFI in the receptacle. Using the vacuum one day on the same receptacle in the garage the breaker would blow and the GFI would trip simply plugging something into it. Replaced the breaker. Replaced the GFI receptacle. Issue still exists. Still keep blowing. Over days, yes days, finally traced all the receptacles that are on the single 30 amp GFI circuit. Found the outside outlets on the patio, and one over by the AC units had corroded inside somewhat significantly. Simply replacing the receptacle outlets did the trick. Odd part didn't have anything plugged into these receptacle. It's a very odd occurrence when we do use the one on the patio.
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

Lesson Learned! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lesson Learned!   Lesson Learned! EmptyNovember 9th 2014, 2:32 pm

Are all those receptacles wired with 10 ga wire?
Only time I've run across a 30A circuit is when it is dedicated to one appliance.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lesson Learned! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lesson Learned!   Lesson Learned! Empty

Back to top Go down

Lesson Learned!
Page 1 of 1