Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

exhaust manifold broken bolts

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
brando99

brando99

exhaust manifold broken bolts Empty
PostSubject: exhaust manifold broken bolts   exhaust manifold broken bolts EmptyNovember 3rd 2014, 9:02 pm

I have a 2003 chevy silverado. I have had a couple broken bolts in my exhaust manifold for some time now and the ticking is getting unbearable. I've heard good things about a bracket that came out to help fix this problem in all 1999 and newer gmc and chevy trucks, vans and suvs. I dont want to take it in and get the entire thing replaced and all the tricks that people suggest just havent seemed to work. Next step is to buy these k.a.p exhaust manifold bolt repair kits and get the job done.
Back to top Go down
joemac

joemac

PostSubject: Re: exhaust manifold broken bolts   exhaust manifold broken bolts EmptyNovember 3rd 2014, 9:53 pm

Neat idea. Never have seen this done. Seems like a good fix. Sure beats attempting to drill out the bolt centers, and using an ease-out to extract. What other methods are there to remove the bolts?
Back to top Go down
ggbaird

PostSubject: Re: exhaust manifold broken bolts   exhaust manifold broken bolts EmptyNovember 4th 2014, 10:29 am

Welcome to our forums Brando! Good luck with your repair. Looking at the video that Joemac posted, looks like the fix could be easier than one would expect. Thanks for posting.
Back to top Go down
https://pickupownersgroup.forumotion.com/
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: exhaust manifold broken bolts   exhaust manifold broken bolts EmptyNovember 6th 2014, 10:01 am

Cool but it does not address the burned out gasket.
If the gasket is leaking it will throw off the O2 reading and make it run rich.
Back to top Go down
joemac

joemac

PostSubject: Re: exhaust manifold broken bolts   exhaust manifold broken bolts EmptyNovember 6th 2014, 11:53 am

I was under the impression these motors came with a metal exhaust gasket. I could be incorrect. The metal gaskets are usually pretty durable compared to the fiber stuff we used in the past.
Back to top Go down
Vinny83

Vinny83

PostSubject: Re: exhaust manifold broken bolts   exhaust manifold broken bolts EmptyFebruary 2nd 2017, 2:35 am

I found this forum link a couple weeks ago to see if anyone had a solution to this issue. I'm glad I did because I ordered a handful of these KAP bolt kit things for the guys to put on some trucks in the shop. Real slick. I see about 5-7 GM trucks a month come in with the broken bolts, but not too often is the gasket actually an issue. however, i am sure that can be replaced fairly easily too. I don't think they cost much either. all in all, it is a money and time saver. I dont know, but I'm not going to back to drilling them damn bolts out if I dont have to. Thanks for sharing everyone.
Back to top Go down
brando99

brando99

PostSubject: Re: exhaust manifold broken bolts   exhaust manifold broken bolts EmptyFebruary 2nd 2017, 2:54 am

Ya man, I put my KAP brackets on a little over 2 yrs ago now and havent had any problems. Joemac posted that youtube video too, and having demos like that is a plus. I know there are some other alternatives you could do to fix it, but I dunno, someone was on the right track coming up with a option like this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: exhaust manifold broken bolts   exhaust manifold broken bolts Empty

Back to top Go down

exhaust manifold broken bolts
Page 1 of 1