Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Rolling Coal Illegal

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ggbaird

Rolling Coal Illegal Empty
PostSubject: Rolling Coal Illegal   Rolling Coal Illegal EmptySeptember 12th 2014, 1:17 pm

Quote :
Rolling Coal is the practice of intentionally disabling the Clean Burn Programming of a computer controlled diesel engine, so that the vehicle is able to emit an under-aspirated sooty exhaust that grossly and visibly pollutes the air. Practitioners tamper with their vehicles' emissions controls in open defiance of environmental regulations. It also may include the intentional removal of the particulate filter[1] Practitioners often additionally modify their vehicles by installing smoke switches and smoke stacks.

The EPA Just Said That This Whole 'Rolling Coal' Thing Is Illegal

Remember that whole thing that some diesel pickup owners do where they would pour thick, acrid, choking smoke all over people who happen to drive a Toyota Prius? Yeah, hilarious. It's really the kind of immature crap that teenagers usually pull in some form or another that society has been putting up with for millennia. Well it turns out the EPA said they can't do that any more.

The fine folks at Talking Points Memo managed to get ahold of EPA spokesperson Liz Purchia to find out the legality of generally being an asshat, who simply pointed the relevant section of the EPA's website:

Quote :
It is a violation of the Clean Air Act to manufacture, sell, or install a part for a motor vehicle that bypasses, defeats, or renders inoperative any emission control device. For example, computer software that alters diesel fuel injection timing is a defeat device. Defeat devices, which are often sold to enhance engine performance, work by disabling a vehicle's emission controls, causing air pollution. As a result of EPA enforcement, some of the largest manufacturers of defeat devices have agreed to pay penalties and stop the sale of defeat devices.

The CAA prohibits anyone from tampering with an emission control device on a motor vehicle by removing it or making it inoperable prior to or after the sale or delivery to the buyer. A vehicle's emission control system is designed to limit emissions of harmful pollutants from vehicles or engines. EPA works with manufacturers to ensure that they design their components with tamper-proofing, addresses trade groups to educate mechanics about the importance of maintaining the emission control systems, and prosecutes cases where significant or imminent harm is occurring.

Truck Yeah
Back to top Go down
https://pickupownersgroup.forumotion.com/
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Coal Illegal   Rolling Coal Illegal EmptySeptember 12th 2014, 1:34 pm

I knew it was only a matter of time.
I've tried to argue with these people who think it is "harmless fun". All those youtube videos of smoking out intersections because of one person who ticked them off. Then there is smoking all the prius', there are many innocent by standers that had nothing to do with what set the coal roller off. In many cases they do it just because they can.

Those people driving a Hybrid are the ones who will go through the trouble of contacting their government reps and DO something about it.

I'm a "redneck" and like to have fun too but I'm not a dumbass.

Honestly I'm waiting for the EPA to crack down on the "smoker" tractor class and diesel pickups at truck/tractor pulls as well. Not saying I agree just that I think it is coming.
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Coal Illegal   Rolling Coal Illegal EmptySeptember 12th 2014, 1:41 pm

BTW, add to the list Diesel "Black out" challenges where the goal is to see who can make the most exhaust smoke and "burn out" contests.

Drag strips that only allow "cold tire" launches coming to an area near you. Sad

This might help Gale Banks since he believes in "clean" power, aka no smoke.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rolling Coal Illegal   Rolling Coal Illegal Empty

Back to top Go down

Rolling Coal Illegal
Page 1 of 1