Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

MPG Crown

Go down 
+2
Diesel Dan
ggbaird
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ggbaird

MPG Crown Empty
PostSubject: MPG Crown   MPG Crown EmptyJuly 30th 2014, 9:39 am

Ford's new F-150 takes aim at Ram's highway mpg crown

Quote :
DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. hopes to regain fuel economy bragging rights in big pickups by offering a special “SFE” package on the aluminum-bodied 2015 F-150.

The Super Fuel Economy package will be available on XL and XLT models. It will be powered by the company’s newest engine: a lightweight and compact 2.7-liter twin turbo V-6 equipped with stop-start.

Ford’s dealer ordering guide shows the vehicle available only with 17-inch wheels, some of the smallest available in the big pickup segment, to lower weight and reduce rolling friction.

It will be available with a choice of regular or super cab configurations.

A Ford spokesman declined to provide more details about the truck.

Ford has released horsepower ratings for two of the 2015 F-150’s four available engines, but the EPA’s estimated fuel economy ratings on the truck have not been released.

Ford has said the new pickups will offer improved fuel economy, towing, and hauling capability, compared to 2014 models.

Ford has gone from first to worst in fuel economy among Detroit 3 pickups. General Motors’ Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra have edged out the most fuel efficient F-150, with the GM pickups getting 24 mpg on the highway compared with 23 mpg for the Ford, according to EPA estimates.

Chrysler’s Ram 1500 offers an HFE package -- for High Fuel Efficiency -- rated at 25 mpg highway and 18 mpg city.

And the hot-selling Ram EcoDiesel gets a 28 mpg highway rating.

"The half-ton segment is fiercely competitive and fuel economy is important among buyers," a Ram spokesman said. "We expect competitors to chase our numbers as Ram continues to improve its stake in fuel efficiency."

The Detroit 3 each use different tactics to boost pickup fuel economy.

GM uses cylinder deactivation and plans to add an eight-speed automatic transmission to enhance pickup mpg.

In addition to using stop-start on the SFE model, which improves fuel economy in city driving, Ford is removing weight by using an aluminum body and a high strength steel frame that together save about 700 pounds on all 2015 F-150s.

Ram employs fuel-saving technologies such as active grille shutters; an automatic air suspension system that lowers the vehicle at highway speeds, improving aerodynamics; stop-start; and an eight-speed automatic.

Ford’s weight advantage with aluminum is expected to yield highway fuel economy of 28 mpg, according to one analyst. That would give Ford the highest fuel economy of any gasoline-powered pickup and match the Ram EcoDiesel.

Automotive News
Back to top Go down
https://pickupownersgroup.forumotion.com/
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

MPG Crown Empty
PostSubject: Re: MPG Crown   MPG Crown EmptyJuly 30th 2014, 11:48 am

ASSUMING Ram doesn't make improvements to the eco-D for better mileage by the time the 2.7EB is out.

Would like to see some towing comparisons between the 2.7EB, 3.0 Eco-D and GMs.......well.....F150 vs Ram will be a good show down.

Then we can have a 30K lb tow off between the F450, Ram3500, Silvera...d..ooo Embarassed, uh yeah, the Two Truck Tow off we can call it.

How about an off-road shoot out between a Raptor, PowerWagon and Z71 MPG Crown 2335134535 

Or a hot street truck comparo with Hemi powered Ram RCSB 2wd and.....

Anyway, glad to see a return of reasonable sized wheels.
I'm all for larger rims if the brakes require them.
Back to top Go down
Breathing Borla

Breathing Borla

MPG Crown Empty
PostSubject: Re: MPG Crown   MPG Crown EmptyJuly 30th 2014, 12:00 pm

I would much rather have a 3.0 diesel than a turbo 2.7 gasser, but that's just me. you must have to rev that little thing way up when loaded or towing. the diesel has 420lbs at 2K rpm

2010 Tundra 4x4 5.7 , 33" Cooper ST Maxx on RW Wheels (sold)
Back to top Go down
ggbaird

MPG Crown Empty
PostSubject: Re: MPG Crown   MPG Crown EmptyJuly 30th 2014, 12:04 pm

The 2.7 Ecoboost may take the win in fuel consumption (or lack there-of) but I can't see it out-working the EcoDiesel. Just my opinion of course. And with diesel prices dropping 25 cents per gallon below gas prices, here anyway, I think Ram definitely has a winner on their hands.
Back to top Go down
joemac

joemac

MPG Crown Empty
PostSubject: Re: MPG Crown   MPG Crown EmptyJuly 30th 2014, 6:01 pm

In the video the EcoDiesel has the 2.7 EB beat for seven seconds. After that it's all 2.7 EB in this test.
Back to top Go down
ggbaird

MPG Crown Empty
PostSubject: Re: MPG Crown   MPG Crown EmptyJuly 30th 2014, 6:26 pm

That is interesting, but I believe that is a video put out by Ford. The results may be accurate, but I'll wait for a more independant, unbiased test.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

MPG Crown Empty
PostSubject: Re: MPG Crown   MPG Crown EmptyJuly 30th 2014, 6:49 pm

The problem with the MPG Crown is that it's every bit as useless as the fake Towing Crown.

Back to top Go down
toyboxrv

MPG Crown Empty
PostSubject: Re: MPG Crown   MPG Crown EmptyJuly 30th 2014, 10:32 pm

Breathing Borla wrote:
I would much rather have a 3.0 diesel than a turbo 2.7 gasser, but that's just me.  you must have to rev that little thing way up when loaded or towing.  the diesel has 420lbs at 2K rpm

The 3.5 EB has a torque peak of 2500. The 2.0 EB 4 cyl has a torque peak at 3000. I'm guessing the 2.7 EB isn't going to need to rev way up. It isn't available with a 4x4 SuperCrew w/6.5 ft bed, 5.0 is standard there.
Back to top Go down
joemac

joemac

MPG Crown Empty
PostSubject: Re: MPG Crown   MPG Crown EmptyJuly 31st 2014, 9:59 am

3.0 EcoDiesel 240HP/420TQ
2.7 EcoBoost 325HP/375TQ

Going back to the basics HP being a calculation or derivative of torque over time, time being RPM.  What the 2.7 EB gives up in peak torque, it gains from carrying more torque in total over a greater length of time.

More over the peak torque will only be realized once for a very brief second during an acceleration run say to 60mph.  Subsequent shifts past 1st gear at WOT will never drop back down to 2000k RPM, even on the lower RPM capable diesel.

Thus why the video Ford test or not result will be similar, Dodge gets to use the peak torque once during the multi-minute run.

The 3.0 ED will certainly be more livable for towing a moderate load more so than the 2.7 EB.  Most of the need in most driving situations is to get the load moving from a stop to a moderate speed 45 mph at less than WOT.  This is where the feel of the higher peak torque of the 3.0 ED will shine. It will simply feel better to the driver in this normal use condition.

Surprised Ford hasn't been crucified about having only using six speed transmission on it's brand new trucks.  People rant to next Sunday for GM doing such.

The special configuration trucks for MPG crown may be a good marketing tool for TV, but don't necessarily wave the flag of integrity high. IMHO.
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

MPG Crown Empty
PostSubject: Re: MPG Crown   MPG Crown EmptyJuly 31st 2014, 4:05 pm

^^and this is also why the V8 Diesels usually give better results on WOT runs over the CTD.
Does not nec. make them better overall but a wider powerband helps in the drag race.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

MPG Crown Empty
PostSubject: Re: MPG Crown   MPG Crown Empty

Back to top Go down

MPG Crown
Page 1 of 1