Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

10 Speed Trans

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ggbaird

10 Speed Trans Empty
PostSubject: 10 Speed Trans   10 Speed Trans EmptyJune 9th 2014, 8:12 pm

F150 & GM's 1500 Twins to Use 10 Speed Transmissions

Quote :
GM is behind Ford and Chrysler in fuel economy in many key segments. The new engines will help shore that up. And there’s a complex transmission joint venture with Ford that has to go perfectly, or it will cost each company dearly.

GM and Ford are collaborating on a new generation of 9- and 10-speed transmissions. The 10-speed gearboxes will be used in both company’s pickups in about two years. The F-150 and the GM twins, Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra, lag far behind Chrysler’s Ram 1500 Ecodiesel in the fuel economy race.

Ford will close some of the gap with its new aluminum-bodied F-150 coming later this year. But for the time being, both trucks use six-speed transmissions, while the Ram has 8-speeds.

It’s unclear at this point if GM will quickly roll out a diesel in its Silverado and Sierra or if it will downsize its engines.

Automotive News

Last edited by ggbaird on December 7th 2014, 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://pickupownersgroup.forumotion.com/
turbobill

10 Speed Trans Empty
PostSubject: Re: 10 Speed Trans   10 Speed Trans EmptyNovember 27th 2014, 11:57 am

I read recently (can't remember where) that a 8 speed is soon coming to some GM  products. It's low ratio will be 4.56:1, 6th is direct and 8th is .65:1

In college, I did a paper on adding more speeds to then existing automotive transmissions to have the best of both worlds (performance and economy).

I'm sure I wasn't the only one thinking about it then (mid 70's) as 5 speeds with OD were just coming into very limited use. I tend to think the expense was (and still is to some extent) a limiting factor in how fast transmissions with more speeds are designed and produced.
Back to top Go down
joemac

joemac

10 Speed Trans Empty
PostSubject: Re: 10 Speed Trans   10 Speed Trans EmptyNovember 28th 2014, 12:32 pm

Expense and space while not lessening strength and durability. Engineering challenge.
Back to top Go down
ggbaird

10 Speed Trans Empty
PostSubject: Re: 10 Speed Trans   10 Speed Trans EmptyNovember 28th 2014, 7:17 pm

turbobill wrote:
I read recently (can't remember where) that a 8 speed is soon coming to some GM  products. It's low ratio will be 4.56:1, 6th is direct and 8th is .65:1

Eight speed just with the 6.2L V8...

https://pickupownersgroup.forumotion.com/t1001-8-speed-with-62

Back to top Go down
https://pickupownersgroup.forumotion.com/
turbobill

10 Speed Trans Empty
PostSubject: Re: 10 Speed Trans   10 Speed Trans EmptyNovember 29th 2014, 12:26 pm

Maybe the automated manual (like those on big trucks) is a cheaper/lighter/smaller alternative. If I recall, Honda used something like that within the last 15 years on small cars and some Saturns used the unit too.

Back to top Go down
Truth
Admin

10 Speed Trans Empty
PostSubject: Re: 10 Speed Trans   10 Speed Trans EmptyNovember 29th 2014, 6:18 pm

My wife just bought a new Ford with the automated manual, so far I like it. Better fuel mileage than a manual. Some peculiarities that take a little getting used to though. Since no torque converter, it requires the brake to hold on hills when stopped. If the throttle is not touched within 2 or 3 seconds it will roll back. Curious to see how durable the clutches will be, but they have been out for several years now.
Back to top Go down
turbobill

10 Speed Trans Empty
PostSubject: Re: 10 Speed Trans   10 Speed Trans EmptyDecember 6th 2014, 6:41 pm

I've driven both the Mack mDrive transmission and the Eaton autostick (I think it's called) and both have the hill holding feature.

Those types of transmissions are the best cure for people who really don't know how to use a clutch or manual transmission properly and smoothly. The power absorption through the automated manuals is less than a traditional planetary automatic too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

10 Speed Trans Empty
PostSubject: Re: 10 Speed Trans   10 Speed Trans Empty

Back to top Go down

10 Speed Trans
Page 1 of 1