Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What would you improve in your pick up

Go down 
+2
ggbaird
dstoppoloni
6 posters
AuthorMessage
dstoppoloni

dstoppoloni

What would you improve in your pick up Empty
PostSubject: What would you improve in your pick up   What would you improve in your pick up EmptyMarch 20th 2014, 8:37 am

Hi everybody! I was wondering: "what I would really like to have in my pick up that actually I can't get?"
My point of view:
a) better MPG
b) More comfortable seats especially those on the back
c) The possibility to store safely my stuff without having a closed box in the bed behind
d) a small refrigerator in the cab (not like an optional)

Looking forward to hear from you

regards

Dan
Back to top Go down
ggbaird

PostSubject: Re: What would you improve in your pick up   What would you improve in your pick up EmptyMarch 20th 2014, 5:41 pm

First and foremost, Welcome to NAPTO.

What type of truck are you driving in Italy? You probably won't get much information here as to the specs of European pickups, so I'm not sure how much help we can be.
a) probably the Asian diesels would be the best bet, or the VW Amorak.
b) can't help you there... Try them out yourself at the dealers.
c) lots of room in a crew cab to store stuff safely behind locking doors.
d)you'll have to Google that one yourself.
Back to top Go down
https://pickupownersgroup.forumotion.com/
dstoppoloni

dstoppoloni

PostSubject: Re: What would you improve in your pick up   What would you improve in your pick up EmptyMarch 21st 2014, 8:26 am

Dear Greg,
first of all thanks for the welcome!
Yes you are right in Italy and I would say in Europe things are quite different.
The pick up market is mainly dominated by Japanese brand like Toyota and Mitsubishi with small and in somehow "uncomfortable" trucks mainly dedicate to people that use this kind of vehicle for work purpose.
I'm already following your suggestions having a look to the features and the models available in north America and what surprise me the most is:
a) the poor MPG
b) A strong focus on the payload.
MPG issue
If I'm not wrong the cost of gasoline in US is around 3,5$/gallon and the average MPG of a pick up is around 18 miles per gallon. Nowadays in Italy the cost per gallon is about 10.9$! You can easily figure out why the US pick up have barely no market here. And I'm not going to even mention the cost in terms of taxes and assurance for a 4.8L engine! In your experience the "gas guzzlers" issue is becoming a problem or not?
Payload
It's really an issue or is just a matter of potential?

thanks again for your precious feedback

regards
Back to top Go down
joemac

joemac

PostSubject: Re: What would you improve in your pick up   What would you improve in your pick up EmptyMarch 21st 2014, 12:57 pm

The US benefits from being the worlds reserve currency as commodities like oil, gasoline, are traded in US dollars. Other countries and currencies get shafted, as you allude with the price per gallon difference. If the US loses it's reserve currency status, which is probable, or countries start trading commodities payments in other than US dollars, some of which they already have, there will be a considerable price bump in the US. However the US will involve the military to see that these markets are protected.

For the most manufacturers produce what consumers demand. Though there are considerable foot notes here. Government regulation imposes limits, and or forces and pentalizes manufacturers to produce A, B, and C products. This forcing consumers to buy government mandated volumes.

Better mile per gallon, all the low cost things have been done to gain MPG. MPG improvements from here on out will have an exponential cost component.

Payload wars are nonsense. Many consumers get caught up onto the stat on a piece of paper. This questions the public's critical assessment skills and prioritization of more so than actual payload capabilities. The manufacturers in the US fall in line step with this less than rational decision making. If the customer is willing to pay for 200 lb more payload there will be a manufacture to fill the need. Blame goes to the people here for buying the stat and not truly requiring the capability.

Bed storage alternative might be a Swing Case. Attaches to the bed side of either or both fenders, hinge allows the box to rotate out to the open tailgate area. Don't want the box there it simply lifts off the hinge. There's a locking top/lid and a loop on the hinge used on conjunction with a pad lock that would prevent unwarranted removal.

Back to top Go down
rustbucket

PostSubject: Re: What would you improve in your pick up   What would you improve in your pick up EmptyMarch 22nd 2014, 1:44 am

dstoppoloni wrote:
Hi everybody! I was wondering: "what I would really like to have in my pick up that actually I can't get?"
My point of view:
a) better MPG
b) More comfortable seats especially those on the back
c) The possibility to store safely my stuff without having a closed box in the bed behind
d) a small refrigerator in the cab (not like an optional)

Looking forward to hear from you

regards

Dan

The mpg is there if you check off the right box on the options list - Ram 1500 3.0L EcoDiesel (28 mpg highway), Ram 1500 3.6L gas (25 mpg highway), Chevy 1500 4.3L (24 mpg highway), Ford F-150 3.7L (23 mpg highway) and in my view represent a good blend of efficiency, capability, affordability and comfort for the North American market.

"Nowadays in Italy the cost per gallon is about 10.9$!" .... blame your government for that. My fear and that of many others is that our current crop of elected leftist knuckleheads (who couldn't operate a lemonade stand) would like to do the same here.  The U.S. is not Europe and our markets reflect that ... at least for now.
Back to top Go down
dstoppoloni

dstoppoloni

PostSubject: Re: What would you improve in your pick up   What would you improve in your pick up EmptyMarch 22nd 2014, 8:01 am

Dear Rustbucket ,
you know better then me that those number you mention are not real. The MPG written on those box is something you will never get like see Santa Claus in your backyard.
However the main massage is clear. You are happy with the MPG of the trucks available on the market because the gasoline in the US is still quite cheap so fill your truck up is not that big deal. Fair enough!
And, for sure, I have to blame my government for many things including the ridiculous amount of tax we have to pay on gasoline (more then 60% of the selling price are actually taxes).
At the end of the day seems to me that everybody is happy with the pickups currently available because depending on the money you got on your pocket you can choice the "blend" that fit the best with you.
Is that really true or there is something that you really would like to get and that actually nobody can give you?
Back to top Go down
Breathing Borla

Breathing Borla

PostSubject: Re: What would you improve in your pick up   What would you improve in your pick up EmptyMarch 22nd 2014, 11:03 pm

I pretty much get what's on my sticker, and that's with the shortest rear at 3.92

15 city 17 mixed 21 highway.

395hp 350 V8..

so don't be so quick to dismiss the ratings.

The new EPA test is actually pretty good, it's not like it was years ago,

2010 Tundra 4x4 5.7 , 33" Cooper ST Maxx on RW Wheels (sold)
Back to top Go down
rustbucket

PostSubject: Re: What would you improve in your pick up   What would you improve in your pick up EmptyMarch 23rd 2014, 4:44 pm

dstoppoloni wrote:
Dear Rustbucket ,
you know better then me that those number you mention are not real. The MPG written on those box is something you will never get like see Santa Claus in your backyard.
However the main massage is clear. You are happy with the MPG of the trucks available on the market because the gasoline in the US is still quite cheap so fill your truck up is not that big deal. Fair enough!
And, for sure, I have to blame my government for many things including the ridiculous amount of tax we have to pay on gasoline (more then 60% of the selling price are actually taxes).
At the end of the day seems to me that everybody is happy with the pickups currently available because depending on the money you got on your pocket you can choice the "blend" that fit the best with you.
Is that really true or there is something that you really would like to get and that actually nobody can give you?

BB beat me to it- most current vehicles can meet their EPA mpg numbers without too much effort, some of the hybrids being a notable exception. "Santa Claus"? ... you're talking to him- it's my December gig (really). As for ...

"Is that really true or there is something that you really would like to get and that actually nobody can give you?"

... I think the current trucks are some of the best ever. Two things I'd like to see- 1. the availability of truck type manual transmissions and 2. the return of a true compact truck to the North American market - the midsize Ranger you have in Europe is not it. I don't expect to see either happen- the cost of certifying a manual tranny/ engine is too great for the amount of sales it would generate and the profit margins on a compact truck would not justify the cost of developing one for the NA market. Ford had the market to itself with the old discontinued in 2011 Ranger but their lack of development killed it.
Back to top Go down
Ulmus
Admin
Ulmus

PostSubject: Re: What would you improve in your pick up   What would you improve in your pick up EmptyMarch 25th 2014, 10:11 pm

I want better mileage, but mine's a little different. I have a lift and 35 inch (889mm) tires killing it for me. (I'd be happy if it took 87 instead of 89 octane.)

Lockers would be nice. I could get them, but that would involve buying a Power Wagon.

How about lower prices!

dstoppoloni

dstoppoloni

PostSubject: Re: What would you improve in your pick up   What would you improve in your pick up EmptyMarch 26th 2014, 7:58 am

But if someone will ask an higher price offering an electric or hydrogen-fueled pickup with a range of at least 400 miles you will think about or you just laugh on him?
Back to top Go down
joemac

joemac

PostSubject: Re: What would you improve in your pick up   What would you improve in your pick up EmptyMarch 26th 2014, 10:32 am

Qualify higher. USD to Euro 1: .725 ratio

In the US February big three average vehicle transaction prices was: GM $34,090, Ford $32,625.

Conservative estimate for trucks would be $40k US, $29k Euro.

Higher?

+20% = $48k US / $34.8k Euro

+30% = $52k US / $37.7k Euro

+40% = $56k US / $40.6k Euro

Like add another 20% to all the Euro numbers for all the penalties and tax for all the shenanigans that's played there for driving anything similar to a US proportioned vehicle there.

Mind you a recent article indicated that consumers in the US are buying way to much vehicle from an affordability standpoint. The survey indicated Dallas residents on average can afford a $20,731 vehicle. Washington DC was approaching $30k and Tampa just shy of $15k.

Marketing geniuses have to wonder if customers will keep extending their financial obligation higher yet when already stretched. Might manufacturers price themselves out of the market?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What would you improve in your pick up   What would you improve in your pick up Empty

Back to top Go down

What would you improve in your pick up
Page 1 of 1