Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Top 10 States with Highest Property Tax

Go down 
+3
ggbaird
Breathing Borla
Diseasel
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Diseasel

Top 10 States with Highest Property Tax Empty
PostSubject: Top 10 States with Highest Property Tax   Top 10 States with Highest Property Tax EmptyJanuary 26th 2014, 12:41 pm

Saw this story today. We pay about 0.6% of the home's value for AZ property tax. I knew my in-laws in Chicago were paying about 4x what we pay in AZ. How in the world are you guys getting done in the North East?

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/01/25/10-states-with-the-highest-property-taxes-in-ameri.aspx
Back to top Go down
Breathing Borla

Breathing Borla

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 States with Highest Property Tax   Top 10 States with Highest Property Tax EmptyJanuary 26th 2014, 1:04 pm

mine is almost 9K here

freaking nuts

2010 Tundra 4x4 5.7 , 33" Cooper ST Maxx on RW Wheels (sold)
Back to top Go down
ggbaird

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 States with Highest Property Tax   Top 10 States with Highest Property Tax EmptyJanuary 26th 2014, 1:17 pm

Damn! I'm paying $2400 and I complain about that!
Back to top Go down
https://pickupownersgroup.forumotion.com/
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 States with Highest Property Tax   Top 10 States with Highest Property Tax EmptyJanuary 26th 2014, 3:15 pm

Diseasel wrote:
Saw this story today. We pay about 0.6% of the home's value for AZ property tax. I knew my in-laws in Chicago were paying about 4x what we pay in AZ. How in the world are you guys getting done in the North East?

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/01/25/10-states-with-the-highest-property-taxes-in-ameri.aspx

Each year it erodes more and more from our savings. As # 1 on that list and add to it the FEMA flood insurance, and the nations highest car insurance, the ship is sinking. I got a 2.5 percent raise in January, and it doesn't come close to make up for all the taxes and insurance. Oh, we also pay 7% sales tax. I'm in a small town near the coast (but on the bay) and I pay pretty much what the article quoted for homeowners insurance. Not a day goes by that my wife doesn't mention that she wants to live in the mountains on the west side of Georgia near her friend. I need to stay working for another 1.5 years, then I can retire and leave, but I still have a son in college here. Tuition is $58K per year, with scholarships and grants covering $36.5K. But in the end, the $22K a year that he will have to pay will turn out to be $192K for a 15 year loan.

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 States with Highest Property Tax   Top 10 States with Highest Property Tax EmptyJanuary 26th 2014, 3:38 pm

TheQuig wrote:
Tuition is $58K per year,
 Shocked 
Where and for what?
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 States with Highest Property Tax   Top 10 States with Highest Property Tax EmptyJanuary 26th 2014, 5:24 pm

He started out going for a mechanical engineer major with electrical as a miner. This past semester he changed majors to computer engineering which I asked him to explain what does that type of engineer do? I'm still not totally clear but beside writing code, he can design how the circuit boards work.
He goes to Stevens University, a well known top Engineering school.  In short, he will be able to understand how to write a code and make the circuits and boards for something like the Apache helicopter has where whatever you look at, your gun will follow the target. He will have to understand the features of the gun, how to wire it to follow code.

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 States with Highest Property Tax   Top 10 States with Highest Property Tax EmptyJanuary 26th 2014, 6:25 pm

I wish him the best. You have to be flexible and enjoy working with many programming languages.

I use to do it a few years back and now, for fun, I'm taking an online android app design course at U of Illinois. Really amazing how nice the development tools are today but there's always compatibility issues with tool drivers, PC OS, USB drivers, etc. And then everything is device specific so you have to design and test your app for each version of android, each android device screen resolution, add definitions for the handicapped, and on and on.

Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 States with Highest Property Tax   Top 10 States with Highest Property Tax EmptyJanuary 26th 2014, 10:03 pm

My son was just telling me about the Android programming. He is also working with C++ and he mentioned a few others that I'm not familiar with. I asked him about Cobalt, never heard of it.
His ex high school teacher that works with my wife, as a second job is making a chip that will be planted in a soldiers brain he claims (only special opts soldiers). That job pays real well, mostly military code work, but he still teaches math as it is so easy and a decent pay check.

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 States with Highest Property Tax   Top 10 States with Highest Property Tax EmptyJanuary 27th 2014, 10:11 am

Diseasel wrote:
Saw this story today. http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/01/25/10-states-with-the-highest-property-taxes-in-ameri.aspx

I take most all stories like this with a grain of salt .... they're salve for the guilty consciences of "progressives". Rich has it right and understands first hand what it is all about- the TOTAL tax burden. Places like New Hampster may not have super low property taxes but it also does not have a state sales tax or a state income tax.
Back to top Go down
rustbucket

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 States with Highest Property Tax   Top 10 States with Highest Property Tax EmptyJanuary 27th 2014, 10:14 am

Breathing Borla wrote:
mine is almost 9K here

freaking nuts

Must be an Al Gore sized mansion .... Wink 
Back to top Go down
Diseasel

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 States with Highest Property Tax   Top 10 States with Highest Property Tax EmptyJanuary 27th 2014, 11:23 am

rustbucket wrote:
Diseasel wrote:
Saw this story today. http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/01/25/10-states-with-the-highest-property-taxes-in-ameri.aspx

I take most all stories like this with a grain of salt .... they're  salve for the guilty consciences of "progressives". Rich has it right and  understands first hand what it is all about- the TOTAL tax burden. Places like New Hampster may not have super low property taxes but it also does not have a state sales tax or a state income tax.

I know what you're getting at but the "story" is based on data. I couldn't find anything current in my quick search, but here's some 2010 data for total state tax. There's still a predominance of NE states in the top 10:

#1 New York
#2 New jersey
#3 Connecticut
#4 California
#5 Wisconsin
#6 Rhode island
#7 Minnesota
#8 Massachusetts
#9 Maine
#10 Pennsylvania

http://taxfoundation.org/article/state-and-local-tax-burdens-all-states-one-year-1977-2010

Last edited by Diseasel on January 27th 2014, 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Diseasel

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 States with Highest Property Tax   Top 10 States with Highest Property Tax EmptyJanuary 27th 2014, 11:28 am

And I recall some of these top 10 states are also at the top of the list for being broke.
Back to top Go down
Diseasel

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 States with Highest Property Tax   Top 10 States with Highest Property Tax EmptyJanuary 27th 2014, 11:48 am

My in-law's 1970's era middle-class Chicago burbs home is around $475k and they're paying at least $9k.
Back to top Go down
Breathing Borla

Breathing Borla

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 States with Highest Property Tax   Top 10 States with Highest Property Tax EmptyJanuary 27th 2014, 1:02 pm

rustbucket wrote:
Breathing Borla wrote:
mine is almost 9K here

freaking nuts

Must be an Al Gore sized mansion .... Wink 

hardly, 3109 square feet on a 1/4 acre

so ya, it blows

2010 Tundra 4x4 5.7 , 33" Cooper ST Maxx on RW Wheels (sold)
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 States with Highest Property Tax   Top 10 States with Highest Property Tax EmptyJanuary 28th 2014, 11:12 am

Breathing Borla wrote:
hardly, 3109 square feet on a 1/4 acre
 affraid 
Yup, mansion.
We had anywhere from 702-1350 sq/ft and currently live in 1080 sq/ft on 6.4 acres. Would be very happy with a new construction and 12-1300 sq/ft and a 8.5' basement.

Couldn't imagine a 3100 sq/ft home, sounds nice! Top 10 States with Highest Property Tax 233199915
Back to top Go down
Charlie in TX

Charlie in TX

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 States with Highest Property Tax   Top 10 States with Highest Property Tax EmptyJanuary 29th 2014, 12:22 pm

We just wrote checks for about $10k. That includes our house with a value of $265k and property on the coast valued at $125k. Near $1k per month to rent property from the state sucks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 States with Highest Property Tax   Top 10 States with Highest Property Tax Empty

Back to top Go down

Top 10 States with Highest Property Tax
Page 1 of 1