Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

2014 GM Recall Already?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Diseasel

2014 GM Recall Already? Empty
PostSubject: 2014 GM Recall Already?   2014 GM Recall Already? EmptyJanuary 10th 2014, 11:09 pm

GM can say they're selling like hotcakes but not the good kind. So far there have been 8 fires. Upwards of 370,000 2014 Chev and GMC pickups are being recalled.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/10/autos/gm-truck-recall/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
Back to top Go down
Breathing Borla

Breathing Borla

PostSubject: Re: 2014 GM Recall Already?   2014 GM Recall Already? EmptyJanuary 12th 2014, 12:18 pm

ouch,

ya know, on all these boards I am on, everyone keeps saying the Ram is crap and will break down all the time blah blah,

I haven't had a single glitch (knock on wood). and that includes all the fancy gadgets etc that it has.

as far as this recall, the thing that seems weird to me is the fix is a software flash, this seems suspect to me. What did they do, lower the running temp or something? I haven't read a ton yet on this so maybe there is more too it.

I would like to look at a 6.2 denali next time I shop 2.5-3 years so they better get their crap together.

2010 Tundra 4x4 5.7 , 33" Cooper ST Maxx on RW Wheels (sold)
Back to top Go down
Scout

Scout

PostSubject: Re: 2014 GM Recall Already?   2014 GM Recall Already? EmptyJanuary 12th 2014, 1:49 pm

"All occurred in areas with very cold weather," the automaker said."

I find it kinda funny they are only having fire problems in very cold places.
Back to top Go down
joemac

joemac

PostSubject: Re: 2014 GM Recall Already?   2014 GM Recall Already? EmptyJanuary 12th 2014, 1:57 pm

From what I read it's a software issue. At idle the 4.3 and 5.3 are designed and expected to operate on 2 cylinders. Something is in the PCM software is preventing this, yet the rest of the systems involved and designed to operate with the parameters and nominal values of 2 cylinder operation mode. Now what is the component, or system that cooks and that ignites? If something gets hot enough to ignite I would like to understand the component involved. Just knowing what it is for the sake of knowing.

The 6.2 isn't affected because it's software and systems again from what I read are not designed to operate in 2 cylinder mode. Would be interesting to understand if the 6.2 idles on less than 8 cylinders however.
Back to top Go down
Scout

Scout

PostSubject: Re: 2014 GM Recall Already?   2014 GM Recall Already? EmptyJanuary 12th 2014, 2:50 pm

joemac wrote:
From what I read it's a software issue.  At idle the 4.3 and 5.3 are designed and expected to operate on 2 cylinders.  Something is in the PCM software is preventing this, yet the rest of the systems involved and designed to operate with the parameters and nominal values of 2 cylinder operation mode.  Now what is the component, or system that cooks and that ignites?  If something gets hot enough to ignite I would like to understand the component involved.  Just knowing what it is for the sake of knowing.

The 6.2 isn't affected because it's software and systems again from what I read are not designed to operate in 2 cylinder mode.  Would be interesting to understand if the 6.2 idles on less than 8 cylinders however.

I read someplace that its the spacing on the exhaust heat shielding.  It's supposed to be spaced in a way to provide sufficient protection to other components during  idle, and in 4 6 and 8, but the trucks aren't idling on only two cylinders causing more heat.  So maybe a software update to get the truck to idle as intended may be all that's needed.  

Now how much fact there is in that I don't know.  On that note,  is skimping on heat shielding a good way to save weight and keep material cost down, or a sign that there is skimping going on?   Question
Back to top Go down
joemac

joemac

PostSubject: Re: 2014 GM Recall Already?   2014 GM Recall Already? EmptyJanuary 13th 2014, 11:45 am

Any idea where along the exhaust path and the associated heat shield? Near one of the cats up front or further back? Temperatures would seem to be hotter closer to the engine. Still curious as to what actually ignites, wiring harness, fuel line?

The announcement seems to indicate only a software reprogram. Assuming here GM isn't dumb enough to announce a fix publically that won't actually fix it, especially since fire is involved. Want to go from selling hundreds of thousands of units to a few hundred? Don't short cut the resolution first go around. Huge risk if they do.
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: 2014 GM Recall Already?   2014 GM Recall Already? EmptyJanuary 13th 2014, 12:03 pm

Possible the program is making the "active" cylinders run too rich. This would make the Cats run much hotter than planned.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2014 GM Recall Already?   2014 GM Recall Already? Empty

Back to top Go down

2014 GM Recall Already?
Page 1 of 1