Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Recovery Straps

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kilogulf59

kilogulf59

Recovery Straps Empty
PostSubject: Recovery Straps   Recovery Straps EmptyOctober 17th 2013, 5:06 pm

I need some advice on recovery straps (not tow straps, apparently there's a difference) and receiver recovery shackles (pictured below).

Recovery Straps Mvjhth10

We have two Silverado and one Colorado 4WD PU trucks and my biggest concern is pulling one out of a ditch in winter. Especially the wife's as she is a rural route mail carrier and, while it's never happened to her, joining the ditch club is common here for the carriers.

I don't need the latest and greatest, A number 1, bestest in the whole world equipment. I just would like to know what will work OK for my needs. I went to a few sights specializing in this equipment but when I asked what time it was they told me how to design and build an atomic clock...not only was all the info lost on me but I was so bored I just left Sleep 

I wouldn't even be asking except there seems to be over elevendymillion types and brands of straps and shackle units out there.

So any advice people?

Back to top Go down
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/iccf/
Breathing Borla

Breathing Borla

Recovery Straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery Straps   Recovery Straps EmptyOctober 17th 2013, 5:42 pm

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Towing-Auto-Hauling/Recovery-Straps-Tow-Straps

I haven't bought any here but they look like they have a nice selection.

I have a nice one in the Ram as well. Most important are

1) no metal hooks, just sewn in loop. if it snaps you don't want a metal hook coming at you or your son or your truck at Mach 8.

2) working strength and breaking strength capacity for what you need. Buy one for your heaviest rig and it will work for you lighter rigs. I go at least 15K on mine.

3) made in USA

I am sure the other guys will chime in as well.

2010 Tundra 4x4 5.7 , 33" Cooper ST Maxx on RW Wheels (sold)
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

Recovery Straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery Straps   Recovery Straps EmptyOctober 18th 2013, 4:09 am

I used to purchase Keeper brand straps but they have since moved production to China so I don't buy their products anymore. The site BB listed has a good selection of straps. A single ply 3"x30' work just fine, that was our most commonly used size. Having too large of a strap does not allow for much stretch and feels like a chain when pulling on it, I still have a 6"x30' from our larger mud trucks.
Back to top Go down
kilogulf59

kilogulf59

Recovery Straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery Straps   Recovery Straps EmptyOctober 18th 2013, 7:23 am

Thanks for the info...I've contacted the folks at USCargoControl and we'll go from there...
Back to top Go down
kilogulf59

kilogulf59

Recovery Straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery Straps   Recovery Straps EmptyOctober 25th 2013, 5:22 pm

OK, the folks at US Cargo Control recommended this unit: Recovery Straps W/ Cordura Eyes 2" x 30'

For attaching to the front of my 09 Chevy he suggested shackles on the eyes...Anchor, Bow, Chain, and D Shackles

Does anyone happen to know which size fits the recovery eyes on an 09 Silverado???
Why didn't they stay with hooks like on my 00 Chevy???
And I assume the pin goes in the eye and the strap on the shackle body???
Why does this seem so difficult???

Recovery Straps Zzz11111
Back to top Go down
Breathing Borla

Breathing Borla

Recovery Straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery Straps   Recovery Straps EmptyOctober 25th 2013, 5:42 pm

Those are better, stronger, and safer than the older hooks.

and yea, this is a good set-up, nothing to break and come rocketing off the truck.  You put the sewen loop through the shackels and screw it in tight.  This way if the strap breaks it's just strap and not a hook flying around.

AS far as the size, I would get the biggest that would go over the chevy loop hook.

maybe one of the bowtie guys knows, if not, measure the thickness of one side of the hoop and then just make sure the new d-ring will slide over it.

at least you have something in the front, the Ram sport I have doesn't have anything up there, it's all for looks.  So you have to pull with the hitch in drive if you want to pull someone out.

Last edited by Breathing Borla on October 25th 2013, 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Breathing Borla

Breathing Borla

Recovery Straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery Straps   Recovery Straps EmptyOctober 25th 2013, 5:47 pm

it looks like the 5/8" shackle has an opening of 1 and 1/8"

I would think the chevy front hooks are smaller than that in dia, but some measuring would be good.

Recovery Straps 2963-stainless-steel-anchor-shackle-5-8-screw-pin-2-19-ton-type-316_5_640

those stainless ones look nice, but I like to overkill everything, LOL..

Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

Recovery Straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery Straps   Recovery Straps EmptyOctober 26th 2013, 12:33 am

Screw shackles are a requirement for a recovery kit. I have many from 1/4-1 1/8" and most are Crosby if I recall correctly. As BB stated the closed hooks are stronger than the older ones from the GMT400/800 trucks. Never broke one of those but did straighten some out. The ones from the '73-87 c/k trucks had a bad habit of snapping off.

FWIW, those shackles listed are chinese made.

Here is a link to a USA made Crosby 5/8" screw shackle:
Crosby shackle
Back to top Go down
kilogulf59

kilogulf59

Recovery Straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery Straps   Recovery Straps EmptyOctober 26th 2013, 9:28 am

Thanks a lot guys...this is big help to me...

Looking at that Crosby shackle I spotted this gizmo...Crosby S-280 Sling Saver Web Connector For 2" Sling Eye Width (WLL 3.25 Ton). That looks like a hot ticket to me...

Thoughts?

I figure this is a PIA now but my research may help others to make a good, trouble free decision. If used just one time, the recovery strap and shackles will pay for themselves...and we have a lot of hilly and curvy roads around here in winter, all covered in ice lined with ditches Sad 

Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

Recovery Straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery Straps   Recovery Straps EmptyOctober 26th 2013, 9:52 am

Issue I see with that one is it has a bolt/nut setup which would be a PITA in the snowy winter to use. All we have ever used was standard screw shackles and it doesn't seem to hurt the straps.

The one you listed would be very useful for those times you have to hook to another chain or strap however. As a primary shackle, no but as a secondary strap accessory, yes.
Back to top Go down
kilogulf59

kilogulf59

Recovery Straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery Straps   Recovery Straps EmptyOctober 26th 2013, 10:22 am

Ya see...this is why it pays to ask questions...I didn't think of that...with the screw pin shackle there no wrenches to mess with...
Back to top Go down
joemac

joemac

Recovery Straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery Straps   Recovery Straps EmptyOctober 26th 2013, 12:04 pm

You guys have thoroughly confused me here on the style and part number. Is the consensus to locate a model that can be installed and removed by hand in the field without tools?

Do you make a recovery with one strap and ring on the front not using both? Does it matter? Was it solidified which rear receiver ring setup was the best?

All I carry on me now is a couple of old heavy duty ratcheting tie down straps with spring closing hooks. Never had to use them to date and I know the length being short would be the biggest detriment.
Back to top Go down
kilogulf59

kilogulf59

Recovery Straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery Straps   Recovery Straps EmptyOctober 26th 2013, 2:05 pm

joemac wrote:
You guys have thoroughly confused me here on the style and part number.
I have ordered (or will be) the following:

joemac wrote:
Is the consensus to locate a model that can be installed and removed by hand in the field without tools?
I believe so, it's my consensus...

joemac wrote:
Do you make a recovery with one strap and ring on the front not using both? Does it matter?
One. Using two effectively would require both vehicles being absolutely square and aligned with each other.

joemac wrote:
Was it solidified which rear receiver ring setup was the best?
No , unless I missed it too. However, I want the hardware to overrate the strap therefore I picked a high strength rating, 10K I believe for the D-Ring Receiver Hitch. I'd rather have a strap failure than have a pound of steel whipping through my windshield. Of course, I will use an old moving blanket as a damper.

joemac wrote:
All I carry on me now is a couple of old heavy duty ratcheting tie down straps with spring closing hooks. Never had to use them to date and I know the length being short would be the biggest detriment.
I don't think I'd try and pull a big pickup truck out of a ditch with those Joe. I never carried any recovery equipment either (thus my questions) but, as I said in the thread starter "the wife's as she is a rural route mail carrier and, while it's never happened to her, joining the ditch club is common here for the carriers". She's a great driver but poop does occur and we have a lot of hilly and curvy roads around here in winter, all covered in ice, and lined with ditches. It can look like Alaska does East Tennessee here in the winter.

Even though all this stuff will be kept under the backseat, I also intend on greasing the threads on the shackle pins so they don't rust/seize over time and carrying an old drift punch to use in the pinhead holes just incase.

BTW, even when I lived in the city I always had gloves, blankets, shovel, sand, flares, et cetera in the trunk in winter. Now I have the added possibility of a recovery, whether it's for me or a neighbor.
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

Recovery Straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery Straps   Recovery Straps EmptyOctober 26th 2013, 5:24 pm

joemac wrote:
You guys have thoroughly confused me here on the style and part number.  Is the consensus to locate a model that can be installed and removed by hand in the field without tools?
My personal preference is a screw type shackle.
Recovery Straps 53753-md
For high vibration or where the strap/sling can rotate and loosen the pin go with these kinds:
Recovery Straps G2140

Quote :
Do you make a recovery with one strap and ring on the front not using both?  Does it matter?
On his truck he has closed tow hooks so you can't just slip a strap over like the old days.
There are several ways to attach to the hooks:
1) Tow strap with metal hooks, I don't recommend this.
2) Shackle connecting strap to tow hook with either a screw pin or bolt, prefered method
3) Slip the loop end of the strap throw the tow hook and slide a solid piece of material through the strap end so it can't pull back, last ditch resort.

Depending how the immobilized vehicle is positioned determines how to hook up. Sometimes you want to use the high side, low side or even both.

Quote :
Sorry, I never commented on the receiver but that one shown should work fine.

Quote :
All I carry on me now is a couple of old heavy duty ratcheting tie down straps with spring closing hooks.   Never had to use them to date and I know the length being short would be the biggest detriment.
Light duty but better than nothing in an emergency, BE CAREFUL!

Edit:
The strap he is getting is a good unit.
It has extra material sewn into the loop ends for durability.
Back to top Go down
Breathing Borla

Breathing Borla

Recovery Straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery Straps   Recovery Straps EmptyOctober 26th 2013, 9:58 pm

kilogulf59 wrote:
joemac wrote:
You guys have thoroughly confused me here on the style and part number.
I have ordered (or will be) the following:

joemac wrote:
Is the consensus to locate a model that can be installed and removed by hand in the field without tools?
I believe so, it's my consensus...

joemac wrote:
Do you make a recovery with one strap and ring on the front not using both? Does it matter?
One. Using two effectively would require both vehicles being absolutely square and aligned with each other.

joemac wrote:
No , unless I missed it too. However, I want the hardware to overrate the strap therefore I picked a high strength rating, 10K I believe for the D-Ring Receiver Hitch. I'd rather have a strap failure than have a pound of steel whipping through my windshield. Of course, I will use an old moving blanket as a damper.

joemac wrote:
I don't think I'd try and pull a big pickup truck out of a ditch with those Joe. I never carried any recovery equipment either (thus my questions) but, as I said in the thread starter "the wife's as she is a rural route mail carrier and, while it's never happened to her, joining the ditch club is common here for the carriers". She's a great driver but poop does occur and we have a lot of hilly and curvy roads around here in winter, all covered in ice, and lined with ditches. It can look like Alaska does East Tennessee here in the winter.

Even though all this stuff will be kept under the backseat, I also intend on greasing the threads on the shackle pins so they don't rust/seize over time and carrying an old drift punch to use in the pinhead holes just incase.

BTW, even when I lived in the city I always had gloves, blankets, shovel, sand, flares, et cetera in the trunk in winter. Now I have the added possibility of a recovery, whether it's for me or a neighbor.
you picked out good stuff. you are now ready.

if I am up your way and get stuck, I know who to call.

although I am a flatlander (IL), LOL

Back to top Go down
kilogulf59

kilogulf59

Recovery Straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery Straps   Recovery Straps EmptyOctober 27th 2013, 10:47 am

LOL...Go out by Galena...it ain't that flat there...

But a shitton of yuppies and Nancy boys...
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

Recovery Straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery Straps   Recovery Straps EmptyOctober 27th 2013, 11:21 am

We used to live in St. Croix county, near rustbucket.
Back to top Go down
kilogulf59

kilogulf59

Recovery Straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery Straps   Recovery Straps EmptyOctober 27th 2013, 11:32 am

I'm in Juneau, about 150 miles from there down the Interstate...
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

Recovery Straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery Straps   Recovery Straps EmptyOctober 27th 2013, 4:04 pm

Down by the Dells aren't you?
Back to top Go down
kilogulf59

kilogulf59

Recovery Straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery Straps   Recovery Straps EmptyOctober 27th 2013, 5:07 pm

Close, outside of Mauston...
Back to top Go down
joemac

joemac

Recovery Straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery Straps   Recovery Straps EmptyOctober 29th 2013, 10:51 am

I noticed recovery strap is 2" wide, the D Ring shackle (inside width of the shackle with the pin installed) appears to be less than 2" wide thus the strap won't sit flush with the pin.  IS that of concern?  Or does it not matter?

Was thinking about getting two of the D ring shackles as it would be my luck the other vehicle will have a tow hook but not a proper way to attach it.
Back to top Go down
Breathing Borla

Breathing Borla

Recovery Straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery Straps   Recovery Straps EmptyOctober 29th 2013, 10:58 am

with a 2" strap, I have just put it up into the hitch receiver before and used the ball mount kingpin through the hitch receiver before. worked well if you pulling forward.

Back to top Go down
kilogulf59

kilogulf59

Recovery Straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery Straps   Recovery Straps EmptyOctober 29th 2013, 11:04 am

The strap goes on the shackle body not the pin...
Back to top Go down
Breathing Borla

Breathing Borla

Recovery Straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery Straps   Recovery Straps EmptyOctober 29th 2013, 11:13 am

I know, I was saying what I have done in a pinch which is use the rear hitch opening.

you can put a 2" strap up into the hitch receiver (which is 2") and then put the kingpin through the holes in the hitch receiver and also through the sewen in loop all at once, then pull in drive.

kinda hard to explain, I didn't have any shackles

like this

Recovery Straps 2Q==

Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

Recovery Straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery Straps   Recovery Straps EmptyOctober 29th 2013, 11:22 am

Breathing Borla wrote:
kinda hard to explain, I didn't have any shackles

like this

Recovery Straps 2Q==
That is a good option with a smaller strap and the round pin won't hurt it.
Now imagine the 2"x2" opening as looking down at Kilos' closed tow hooks. Drop a strap down through the opening and then us a larger bar/pipe/object as a pin to keep the strap from pulling through.
Not a preferred hook but if you have no shackles......
Back to top Go down
kilogulf59

kilogulf59

Recovery Straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery Straps   Recovery Straps EmptyOctober 29th 2013, 11:28 am

Now there's a fella what dun used his heed I reckin' Wink

I gave up trying to find the proper recovery/towing points on our trucks and contacted Chevy...we'll see.

My only thinking here is, with all the recovery/towing associations, schools, and companies, this is closely guarded information.
Back to top Go down
kilogulf59

kilogulf59

Recovery Straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery Straps   Recovery Straps EmptyOctober 30th 2013, 10:30 am

Just to keep you all informed, I wrote Chevy and here's what I got. I'm still trying to figure out "the angle" but read my reply...

----- Original Message -----
To: kilogulf59@*****.com
Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 5:26:21 AM
Subject: Chevrolet Customer Assistance

Service Request: **-*********
Customer Relationship Specialist: Ray

Dear Kenneth,

Thank you for contacting Chevrolet Customer Assistance. We appreciate the time you have taken to write us regarding your 2009 Chevrolet Silverado.

We would be happy to assist you with your question. You can actually ask your dealership for that. But I would be happy to call them for you; I just the vehicle identification numbers (VIN) of those vehicles.

I have created a file for this inquiry. Please take note of your service request **-*********. If you want to talk to me, you can reply to this email or call me directly at 1-866-***-**** ext *****. I am available Mondays thru Fridays 8-11AM Eastern Time.

Again, thank you for contacting Chevrolet.

Sincerely,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Reply...

Hi ***,

Thanks for writing...before I traipse out into the cold, damp, darkness to get the VIN's I have to ask two questions.

1) You mean to tell me that you, the folks who designed and built the vehicles, do not know where the recovery points are but the dealer does?

2) Why do you need the VIN when you have the model? Are recovery points are installed on an individual truck basis?

Something smells fishy here ***. It is, or should be, a simple question for the manufacturer to answer. Hell, you probably have this information published somewhere for the towing and recovery industry. So why the flim-flam Ray?

Take Care and Stay Safe,
Ken aka kilogulf59
Back to top Go down
joemac

joemac

Recovery Straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery Straps   Recovery Straps EmptyOctober 30th 2013, 11:48 am

HEHE. Ray's doing the big corporate PR cut and paste from the script. Sadly this is what we get in 2013.
Back to top Go down
kilogulf59

kilogulf59

Recovery Straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery Straps   Recovery Straps EmptyOctober 30th 2013, 12:13 pm

More people need to bust this stuff....me, I guess I'm cynical but I always look to see what behind things.
Back to top Go down
kilogulf59

kilogulf59

Recovery Straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery Straps   Recovery Straps EmptyNovember 1st 2013, 11:22 am

OMG...tell me I'm NOT conferring with Mujibar from Chevy customer (dis) service...

Quote :
Service Request:  71-***********
Customer Relationship Specialist:  Ray

Dear Kenneth,

Greetings from the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center! Thank you for your prompt response!

I am sorry for my initial response. I was just trying to get the VIN’s so we can properly document your inquiry. But I realized now I should have answered you directly before asking if you want to give us the VIN for records keeping.

If you are referring to the location where to put the recovery hooks, the location are all similar on those vehicles. It’s near the bottom of the front bumper. I am not sure if you have owner’s manual for those vehicles but there are pictures there of it's location. Here are the chapter numbers in the manual.

2009 Chevrolet Silverado, 4-31
2000 Chevrolet Silverado, 5-36
2006 Chevrolet Colorado, 4-43

And there are some special notes about using it such as like;

-You may need to use them if you are stuck off-road and need to be pulled to some place where you can continue driving.
-Never use recovery hooks to tow the vehicle. Your vehicle could be damaged and it would not be covered by warranty.
- These hooks, when used, are under a lot of force. Always pull the vehicle straight out. Never pull on the hooks at a sideways angle. The hooks could break off and you or others could be injured from the chain or cable snapping back.

I hope this email has been helpful. If you have other questions, you can call the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-222-1020 and request for immediate assistance.  Customer Relationship Specialists are available Monday through Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., Eastern Time.

Again, thank you for contacting Chevrolet.

Sincerely,
The Chevrolet Consumer Support Team
My reply...

Quote :
I have to ask "Ray" do even know what recovery points are?

They are the places on the vehicles chassis where hooks, chains, or straps are affixed to enable the vehicle to be safely towed out of the mud, a ditch, up an embankment, et cetera.

NOW CAN YOU ANSWER MY QUESTION???
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Recovery Straps Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recovery Straps   Recovery Straps Empty

Back to top Go down

Recovery Straps
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next