Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hunt

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Diseasel

Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Hunt   Hunt EmptyOctober 6th 2019, 11:33 pm

I did my first big game hunt this week and really enjoyed it but one big take away was the sound of the bullet impacting the elk. I've done plenty of target shooting and the sound upon impact doesn't compare. After I thought about it made sense given the hollow-ish cavity being abruptly slammed. It was a low frequency 'FWOP' sound that I had never heard before. I did a quick online search but couldn't find a thing. Maybe few people ever notice?
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunt   Hunt EmptyOctober 7th 2019, 6:37 pm

Where you wearing electronic ear protection? Maybe because we can only hunt here with a shotgun the impact is different. Even with a slug I haven't hear the actual impact. Congrats on you Elk.

Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunt   Hunt EmptyOctober 8th 2019, 1:14 am

Thanks! It's nice to check off items on the bucket list. Just foam ear plugs. Shotgun would have to be different. I used a 308 but others in the group heard similar sounds using a 270 and 30-06.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunt   Hunt EmptyOctober 8th 2019, 9:18 am

I've heard it when I've shot deer.
Cold mornings when the sound carries more, and on longer shots, its more pronounced.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunt   Hunt EmptyOctober 8th 2019, 6:30 pm

My hearing is very bad the last few years. With a shotgun, ear plugs are fine. With my 5.56/.223 I have to wear both ear plugs and ear muffs. Many people say that when they shoot a deer it sounds like a baby crying. I never heard it myself.

TheQuig

Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunt   Hunt EmptyOctober 8th 2019, 6:31 pm

I set my stand up two weeks ago. I go the first week of December when shotgun season opens. My son will use it sooner for bow season.

Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunt   Hunt EmptyOctober 20th 2019, 1:40 am

I'm still learning how to cook elk but I think I'm hooked on it. I made my first elk roast stew tonight and it turned out well. I used a pressure cooker just to make sure it was tender.

I put some small elk steaks on the traeger a week ago and they were done in only 3 mins per side. I first prepped it with a meat mallet and some tenderizer.

Of course the hamburger is more challenging. I had the meat processor add 10% beef fat but it's still pretty dry. I don't mind. I figure it's healthier. The hamburger seems to work better in dishes like spaghetti, tacos, enchiladas, casseroles,...
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunt   Hunt EmptyOctober 20th 2019, 7:42 pm

I mix the burgers with pork as they are too lean. With the roasts, I like them fresh out of the oven, but the next day they taste dried out and gamey.

Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunt   Hunt Empty

Back to top Go down

Hunt
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General Topics :: Around the Keg-O-Rator-
Jump to: