Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Daughter and college

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TheQuig

TheQuig

Daughter and college Empty
PostSubject: Daughter and college   Daughter and college EmptyApril 13th 2019, 12:45 pm

Well, she didn't get into Dartmouth, was pretty bad for a few days. I left her alone to her thoughts as she leans on her mother more for these things.

On a good note, she has been accepted to Stevens University, more known for being a great engineer school than medicine. Her last 3 semesters she will concentrated on the different fields of biology that will allow her to transfer into medical school. Stevens has made her a Pinnacle Scholar which because of her good grades will give her 55K a year tuition and allow her to do research in the summer in Europe and pay her 5K free housing.

She was leery of going to Stevens as her brother graduated there and is well know even now. She didn't want to be in his shadow, but honestly I believe she will do better as she is more aggressive in her studies. Today my wife, daughter and son are attending a Brunch with the college president. Only 3 tickets. We thought having my son go instead of me would give a face to the student and a jump up more quickly. It doesn't bother me to not go to a city. I went there for the 4 years every couple of weeks bringing my son back after he would take a train home for the weekend. Another perk, my son works 2 blocks from the campus and my sister is close by.

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Daughter and college   Daughter and college EmptyApril 13th 2019, 11:28 pm

Good for her!
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Daughter and college   Daughter and college EmptyApril 14th 2019, 1:58 pm

She is still not thrilled to go to Stevens, she was hoping for a school more tuned to pre-med. Yesterday she found out usually 30% of the students that apply to medical schools from Stevens get accepted. There are other majors, but she insists she wants to be a doctor. I think she should have applied to more than the 10 colleges. Her SAT's were good at 1490, much outside clubs, EMT, etc....

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Daughter and college   Daughter and college EmptyApril 14th 2019, 2:44 pm

Thought there was a Dr shortage?
Didn't think it would be that hard to find a medical college.
Back to top Go down
theshyguy

PostSubject: Re: Daughter and college   Daughter and college EmptyApril 14th 2019, 3:32 pm

With the college president.....WOW. Highfalutin family. Smile

I wish her luck!
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Daughter and college   Daughter and college EmptyApril 15th 2019, 11:51 am

There is a huge shortage of doctors. I believe the problem my daughter has is that she applied to too many top tier universities and didn't leave enough back up schools. Her University is probably in the top 10 in the country for engineering. It was her back up school.

NYU offers free degrees in medical, but she still has to do 3 years before applying. The trend will be free education for doctors but being in a school like Johns Hopkins would have helped her get into a medical school a little easier. She is graduating in the top 3% of her class, and her school is known for the quality of education. She can do it, just more stress for the next 3 years until she gets into a medical school.

Saturday went well I would say. The University President saw my son and came over to introduced himself to my daughter.

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Daughter and college   Daughter and college EmptyApril 15th 2019, 5:14 pm

Her Major at Stevens will be Chemical Biology. This is acceptable for pre-med.

PostSubject: Re: Daughter and college   Daughter and college Empty

Back to top Go down

Daughter and college
Page 1 of 1