Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Since we have been talking about oil filters......

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
TheQuig

TheQuig

Since we have been talking about oil filters...... Empty
PostSubject: Since we have been talking about oil filters......   Since we have been talking about oil filters...... EmptyJanuary 8th 2019, 6:13 pm

As I have mentioned in the past, we have 5 vehicles. I do all the oil changes. While I like trucks and SUV's, two of my children were gifted with Hyundai Sonatas by their grandmother. My mother in law leased the cars, then bought them when the lease was up and gave each of my younger ones the Sonatas that only had 9,000 and 10,000 miles on them when we were gifted them.

The 2013 Sonata has two openings in a plastic engine shield, one for the filter and one for the drain plug.
The 2015 Sonata has no openings and 16 bolts/screws have to come out to do the oil change. I must say the engine from underneath in the 2015 looks like it was just delivered from the factory. I mean really clean.
It's not the end of the world to take out the 16 screws, but let's face it, it does become a pain.
Question: Would you cut into the bottom shield where the oil drain plug and the oil filter are and make access points?

Also, I have seen the Mobil 1 synthetic that states to change the oil once a year or 20,000 miles. Tempting. But I don't think I could be comfortable going that long. Maybe 12,000 to 15,000 miles I could live with. That would make it a once a year chore.

pup

PostSubject: Re: Since we have been talking about oil filters......   Since we have been talking about oil filters...... EmptyJanuary 8th 2019, 6:54 pm

Is the 2013 still relatively clean? I'd judge it by that.

Around here, no salt on the roads, I'd cut it.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Since we have been talking about oil filters......   Since we have been talking about oil filters...... EmptyJanuary 8th 2019, 8:16 pm

I really can't see much on the 2013 since there are only the two hatches. One is around 4"x4", and the other is around 3"x4". The next time I do his oil I will check it out. The 2013 gets driven less but he just drove to and from Wisconsin so he probably getting close to a change. Before he left he only put 800 miles on it in 4 months. His job was only 2.5 miles from home. On the other hand, the 2015 driven by my daughter is all over the state, she hopefully isn't due to have her oil changed for a month or so. The 2015 has the oil monitor while the 2013 doesn't. I keep good records so I seldom if ever go over 7,000 with the synthetic oils. 4 cylinders I tend to change a little early over our 8 cylinders

Looking at my Excel sheet, I bet I have to change oil on everyone's vehicle except my truck.

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Since we have been talking about oil filters......   Since we have been talking about oil filters...... EmptyJanuary 12th 2019, 12:59 am

Once a year?
I'd probably leave it, will keep some of the snow/slush from building up in winter.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Since we have been talking about oil filters......   Since we have been talking about oil filters...... EmptyJanuary 12th 2019, 1:20 pm

More like twice a year. I try to do them in the Fall and make it through to the Spring. This year more mileage was put on it so I have to do it now or within the next week. 23F out today so it will wait a few days.

Admin
Bambam

PostSubject: Re: Since we have been talking about oil filters......   Since we have been talking about oil filters...... EmptyFebruary 7th 2019, 1:32 pm

I do the Mobil 1 20,000 mile oil on my daughters CR-V, getting them to bring it by the house is like asking them to walk bare foot over hot coals! The oil held up well, and they ended up putting 26k on the first run, oil analysis proved it had life left, can't find the report, when I do I'll post it.

Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Since we have been talking about oil filters......   Since we have been talking about oil filters...... EmptyFebruary 7th 2019, 4:28 pm

That is good to know. I won't feel guilty leaving it in so long.

PostSubject: Re: Since we have been talking about oil filters......   Since we have been talking about oil filters...... Empty

Back to top Go down

Since we have been talking about oil filters......
Page 1 of 1