Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Home insurance

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
theshyguy

Home insurance  Empty
PostSubject: Home insurance    Home insurance  EmptyJuly 18th 2018, 10:50 am

Does anyone know how this will play out? I had home insurance through company A and filled an incident of hail damage about 2 months ago. It wasn't a claim because I don't want to get my roof replaced yet. Well now company A will not renew my policy so I have to find Company B. Do I have to wait for another storm to show damage to my roof for Company B to cover my roof replacementioned or does Company a still have to help since the damage occurred under their coverage?
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

Home insurance  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home insurance    Home insurance  EmptyJuly 18th 2018, 11:32 am

Is the coverage still active under company A?
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

Home insurance  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home insurance    Home insurance  EmptyJuly 18th 2018, 3:22 pm

As Jason asked, do you still have coverage with Company? If so, get them to pay the roof damage, I don't understand filling an incident vs. filling a claim.

Home insurance  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home insurance    Home insurance  EmptyJuly 18th 2018, 3:48 pm

My coverage was not renewed with Company A effective July 8th. I just got the letter telling me.

I just made an incident report because I didn't want to start a claim because I was going to wait until after hail season was over to get the roof replaced. Plus I needed time to save up my deposit.
Back to top Go down
theshyguy

Home insurance  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home insurance    Home insurance  EmptyJuly 18th 2018, 3:49 pm

Right now I have coverage under a company my mortgage company picked for me bc I am required to have insurance. They want me to pick someone and then let them know who it is.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

Home insurance  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home insurance    Home insurance  EmptyJuly 18th 2018, 4:29 pm

I am going through insurance company headaches myself over flood insurance. It was $606, then this month they raised it to $2,892. I was able to get a new company before it expired as it is required if you hold a mortgage. 

I think you are screwed in trying to get company A to pay since you didn't file your claim. I don't know how the companies view incident vs. claim, but you know you will have to pull teeth to get your money if possible. I think you deserve to get paid, but insurance companies are in the same group of most hated  companies to deal with like car dealers, lawyers etc. I have had some good agents but they can't control rates of payment of claim without a managers approval. Good luck.

pup

Home insurance  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home insurance    Home insurance  EmptyJuly 19th 2018, 10:32 am

I'd file the claim with the old company. Sounds like they cancelled you in a preemptive strike not to pay the pending claim.

Since it happened when you were covered under them, and have filed the incident report proving that prior to them cancelling you, I think you'd have a case to make them pay.

A new insurance company will use that same report as an excuse not to pay.

Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

Home insurance  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home insurance    Home insurance  EmptyJuly 19th 2018, 12:03 pm

At the time of the incident, did you provide pictures? Did an adjuster come out and see the damage?

Home insurance  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home insurance    Home insurance  EmptyJuly 19th 2018, 9:15 pm

No pictures since there was no claim but it was a well reported hail storm that did damage to a lot of houses covering a large portion of town. My cul-de-sac has 15 houses on it and every roof but mine and my neighbor across the street hasn't been replaced or waiting to be replaced. We were both holding off because it's crazy with all the roofers coming into town because of the storm. We wanted to weed out the BS ones and wit for storm season to be over.

And I still don't have the money for the deductible. Ugh!

I was thinking it was premature dumping me too to get away from the claim.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

Home insurance  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home insurance    Home insurance  EmptyJuly 20th 2018, 1:13 pm

Sorry to say, but I do not think they will pay you. As far as the insurance company, that damage could have happened anytime. I know it sucks but from their view the roof was already damaged.

Home insurance  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home insurance    Home insurance  EmptyAugust 2nd 2018, 11:24 pm

Those insurance company hands are wide open to accept monthly insurance premiums but slam close upon the scent of a claim. Friends had a small fender bender with the max ~$1500 deductible. The body work was slightly over the deductible. They called the insurance company to get their recommendation and of course they said to make a claim. They didn't for fear of the insurance company doubling their rates. And I think the rates increase across the board with home, car, umbrella, etc. It's a no win!
Back to top Go down
theshyguy

Home insurance  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home insurance    Home insurance  EmptyAugust 17th 2018, 7:47 pm

I filed a claim and they accepted it. I think since I filed a report before I got dropped saved my bacon. I'm still getting screwed by the 2% deductible and the fact they had Coverage A at close to double my homes worth but I should have known better so I'll take partial blame on that. I got the house inspected and they of course found damage, sent me a check for a portion( Damage - depreciation - deductible). They said I'll get the depreciation back once I get the roof replaced. I talked to a friend who retired from a big insurance company about 2 years ago and he said that all sounds normal except the Coverage A being so large. Too late for that though.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

Home insurance  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home insurance    Home insurance  EmptyAugust 18th 2018, 10:16 am

Ive been going round and round with Farmers over some water damage. Valve on top of the water heater shit the bed, water shorted out the heater and almost set the place on fire. Floors ruined down tje hall, bath, bedroom, kitchen and living room. I finally got Farmers to assign me a different adjuster. First one was unresponsive, uninterested and incompetent. Been a month and just now making headway on it.
Back to top Go down
theshyguy

Home insurance  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home insurance    Home insurance  EmptyAugust 25th 2018, 10:58 pm

Im working on getting quotes for the Roof now.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

Home insurance  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home insurance    Home insurance  EmptyAugust 28th 2018, 1:42 pm

Glad to see they came through.

Home insurance  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Home insurance    Home insurance  Empty

Back to top Go down

Home insurance
Page 1 of 1