Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New Front Brakes

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
TheQuig

TheQuig

New Front Brakes Empty
PostSubject: New Front Brakes   New Front Brakes EmptyMarch 2nd 2018, 8:19 pm

For the last week or so when coming to a stop, I could hear a faint noise that sounded like a tire going flat on the passenger front. I figured that the brake pads and rotors were due for replacement, last done only 4 years ago and 35,000 miles. I had slotted rotors to cool the brakes quicker when towing the trailer. Talking with my friend, his opinion was the caliper was the problem.
So I ordered a heavy duty set of front slotted rotors and brake pads from Rock Auto, ordered the caliper at the last minute from Auto Zone just in case. Today, I took the truck to school and the auto shop replaced everything I bought. The caliper was bad causing the inner pad to wear out and start digging into the rotor. They also flushed my old brake fluid out for me. I owe the 2 classes some Dunkin Donuts.
I couldn't heat set the pads on the way home as the wind was up to 50 mph, and the snow would stop the pads from heating up enough to do the break in procedure. Tomorrow the nor eastern should have passed and the temps gone up enough to go through the procedure of stopping at a high speed 5 times in quick succession.
I could have done the work myself, but with the school able to put it on the lift and get experience, it was a win win situation. I went into the shop during a prep period and the teacher was standing there making sure it went smoothly.

New Front Brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Front Brakes   New Front Brakes EmptyMarch 3rd 2018, 4:01 pm

Nice, you made out like a bandit. Hopefully the new setup lasts longer.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

New Front Brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Front Brakes   New Front Brakes EmptyMarch 4th 2018, 4:22 pm

With my luck, the left caliper will go Laughing . Tomorrow If I don't work, donuts for both classes. Or maybe I will get lucky and be scheduled at the school one day this week.

Diesel Dan

New Front Brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Front Brakes   New Front Brakes EmptyMarch 5th 2018, 8:22 pm

My recommendation is when doing calipers replace the flex hose too. Many times the hose will have a internal restriction. It will not affect the pressure/volume to the caliper but will hold a residual pressure and wear the pads out.

Diagnosis: When trying to compress the caliper piston and it returns too hard crack the bleeder open. If fluid shoots out and the piston retracts, bad hose. Anymore for the +/- $15 of a new hose I just replace them.

Will be doing front brakes on my S-Blazer soon, 243K miles now. Going with drilled/slotted rotors and Raybestos EHT pads. Only reason I picked these rotors is they are G3000 iron and zinc coated for corrosion resistance. Have those on the rear since Xmas 2012 and still look great. Blazer getting new hoses and my 2000 K3500 is getting hoses when I replace the pads as well(168K). Truck received EBC rotors back in fall of 2015 and EBC pads. Pads seemed to wear out fairly fast with all the towing I do, just throwing on a set of Raybestos EHTs this time. Later I'd like to do a GMT800 brake upgrade to the old girl.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

New Front Brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Front Brakes   New Front Brakes EmptyMarch 6th 2018, 6:10 pm

I bought the PowerStop Extreme Performance Z36 Severe-Duty Truck & Tow with the slotted/drilled rotors. They are also zinc coated. Talking with the shop teacher he said the hoses worked fine, but by 100,000 I should replace them.
This morning I didn't have to work, so I went to Dunkin Donuts and bought 4 boxes of munchkins and a dozen donuts for the class that worked on them. Wow, I didn't know donuts cost so much lol.

George35

New Front Brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Front Brakes   New Front Brakes EmptyApril 15th 2021, 6:45 am

Same here, I bought PowerStop carbon ceramic pads and rotors. Huge difference.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Front Brakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Front Brakes   New Front Brakes Empty

Back to top Go down

New Front Brakes
Page 1 of 1