Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Gas guage, something I never noticed.

Go down 
+2
theshyguy
TheQuig
6 posters
AuthorMessage
TheQuig

TheQuig

Gas guage, something I never noticed. Empty
PostSubject: Gas guage, something I never noticed.   Gas guage, something I never noticed. EmptyOctober 15th 2017, 4:24 pm

Reading on the internet, I came across something I never noticed before regarding you fuel gauge. I never looked that close at the gas pump on the gauge  and after reading the short article noticed there is an arrow alongside the gas pump that tells you what side your gas cap is on. I do drive both of my sons car every once in a while and off hand don't know which side they fuel up on. This could be helpful when having a loaner or rental car.

PostSubject: Re: Gas guage, something I never noticed.   Gas guage, something I never noticed. EmptyOctober 15th 2017, 10:54 pm

When I saw the post title I wondered if this was going to be the subject. I learned that not too long ago myself and use it because I never can remember which side the cap is on on what vehicle.
Back to top Go down
Diseasel

PostSubject: Re: Gas guage, something I never noticed.   Gas guage, something I never noticed. EmptyOctober 16th 2017, 1:10 am

Yes, they have been doing that for a couple of years. It's very useful.

Related to that, around my parts there seem to be more cars lining up at the pump with left sided fuel caps. I had to look it up. They say it's related to manufacturer choice. Most Japanese cars have access on the left side. Most German and some American cars on the right side.

Back to top Go down
theshyguy

PostSubject: Re: Gas guage, something I never noticed.   Gas guage, something I never noticed. EmptyOctober 16th 2017, 7:51 pm

That seems odd since we drive on the left side and its much nicer getting out on the same side as the cap. Its easier to judge were you are in relation to the pump and you aren't on the side of your vehicle were traffic could be coming by.
Back to top Go down
toyboxrv

PostSubject: Re: Gas guage, something I never noticed.   Gas guage, something I never noticed. EmptyOctober 16th 2017, 8:22 pm

If you buy gas at a station where there's one way in, there are long lines for the pumps to the left of the cars and short lines with pumps to the right of the cars. I usually drag the hos over the bed of my truck if the hoses are long enough.
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Gas guage, something I never noticed.   Gas guage, something I never noticed. EmptyOctober 16th 2017, 11:20 pm

Having the fuel filler on right side keeps the driver from banging the door into the posts. Most of mine are on the LH side.

Also did not know that about the arrow.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Gas guage, something I never noticed.   Gas guage, something I never noticed. EmptyOctober 17th 2017, 5:09 pm

If there is one good thing about NJ, we can't pump our own gas and the prices are the same as the rest of the country. For some reason you can pump your own diesel.

PostSubject: Re: Gas guage, something I never noticed.   Gas guage, something I never noticed. EmptyOctober 17th 2017, 5:50 pm

Regular is $2.09 here. I don't know when the last time it was I even ran across a full service station.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Gas guage, something I never noticed.   Gas guage, something I never noticed. EmptyOctober 18th 2017, 7:22 pm

theshyguy wrote:
Regular is $2.09 here. I don't know when the last time it was I even ran across a full service station.

I think NJ and AZ are the only two states left where you can't pump your own gas. I paid $2.22 at Costco the other day. Prices went up here after the hurricane in Texas but are slowly coming down.

PostSubject: Re: Gas guage, something I never noticed.   Gas guage, something I never noticed. EmptyOctober 18th 2017, 9:17 pm

Every time I have been in Arizona over the last 30 or more years, I have been able to pump my own gas. The only place I went where I couldn't was Oregon. Haven't been to NJ for 52 years.
Back to top Go down
Diseasel

PostSubject: Re: Gas guage, something I never noticed.   Gas guage, something I never noticed. EmptyOctober 18th 2017, 10:33 pm

No issues pumping your own gas in AZ. Google says Oregon and NJ.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Gas guage, something I never noticed.   Gas guage, something I never noticed. EmptyOctober 19th 2017, 10:12 am

Sorry, Oregon. I knew it was a state on the other side of the country.
I have a friend that moved to AZ three months ago and asks when I'm coming out to visit. Probably when it gets cool. I don't remember off hand where he lives, but he drives up a mountain to get to his gated community.

Admin
Bambam

PostSubject: Re: Gas guage, something I never noticed.   Gas guage, something I never noticed. EmptyOctober 25th 2017, 1:21 pm

Jersey always pumps my diesel, but I only travel NJTP.

Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Gas guage, something I never noticed.   Gas guage, something I never noticed. EmptyOctober 25th 2017, 4:23 pm

Yea, they will pump it, but for quicker service I uses to jump out and do it myself. I always kept a pair of gloves alongside my seat. Once it is on your hands it seems you can't wash the smell away for a while.

Admin
Bambam

PostSubject: Re: Gas guage, something I never noticed.   Gas guage, something I never noticed. EmptyOctober 26th 2017, 7:37 am

I thought they had to, and get a little angry if you tried to do it??

Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Gas guage, something I never noticed.   Gas guage, something I never noticed. EmptyOctober 26th 2017, 3:55 pm

For whatever reason I've never once in the 9 years that I owned my truck had a complaint from the service station for fueling my own truck. Some small places won't even come out to pump, they expect you to do it. Maybe it has something to do with its flash point.

TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Gas guage, something I never noticed.   Gas guage, something I never noticed. EmptyOctober 26th 2017, 4:05 pm

Check out #C 3
N.J.A.C. § 12:196-1.1

NEW JERSEY ADMINISTRATIVE CODE
Copyright (c) 2004 by the New Jersey Office of Administrative Law

*** THIS FILE INCLUDES ALL REGULATIONS PUBLISHED THROUGH THE ***
*** NEW JERSEY REGISTER, VOL. 36. NO. 8, APRIL 19, 2004 ***

TITLE 12. DEPARTMENT OF LABOR
CHAPTER 196. SAFE DISPENSING OF RETAIL GASOLINE
SUBCHAPTER 1. REQUIREMENTS

N.J.A.C. § 12:196-1.1

§ 12:196-1.1 Purpose; scope

(a) The purpose of this chapter is to provide reasonable standards for:

1. The prohibition of the self service of gasoline and other inflammable liquids at retail gasoline stations;

2. The training and certification of attendants; and

3. The installation of safety signs and equipment and the establishment of procedures to enhance safety at retail gasoline stations.

(b) The provisions of this chapter shall be applicable to:

1. The operation of retail gasoline stations; and

2. The training and certification of attendants at retail gasoline stations.

(c) The provisions of this chapter will not be applicable to:

1. The operation of marine service stations;

2. The operation of service stations for the fueling of aircraft;

<font color="red">3. The dispensing of diesel fuel; </font> or

4. The operation of employer gasoline stations that are solely for the use of a company's employees and are not open to the public.

PostSubject: Re: Gas guage, something I never noticed.   Gas guage, something I never noticed. Empty

Back to top Go down

Gas guage, something I never noticed.
Page 1 of 1