HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Residential HVAC

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Residential HVAC   October 4th 2017, 11:46 pm

Anyone here do mini splits?

I'm in the process of getting my EPA universal 609 license so I can buy refrigerant products and work on my own stuff. Going to be installing a multi-zone Mitsubishi unit. One two zone for the first floor and a three zone for the second floor.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
theshyguy

PostSubject: Re: Residential HVAC   October 5th 2017, 11:46 am

Please let me know how it works. I'd like to see if they are as good as I hear. Thinking of doing them vs a newer central ac.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Residential HVAC   October 5th 2017, 8:09 pm

Stretch (Mistral) would be the guy in the know. I'll look around and see if I still have an email for him. I have his phone number but I can't give that out.

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Residential HVAC   October 5th 2017, 10:19 pm

No problem Rich.

Looked up state license for HVAC/mechanical and only required when bidding on jobs over $25K.
So I should be good with just getting the EPA recovery license for handling refrigerants.

My initial post was short due to a dying laptop battery.

Here are my details:
-two story, total 1920 sqft (24x40)
-first floor, living room ~14x24, kitchen ~14x24 with L-shaped staircase and 1/2 bath between the two rooms.
-second floor has 3 bd, 2 full bath

What I'm probably going to do:
-Zoned mini-splits with wall mounts, 1 per floor
-first floor will have 6K BTU in the living room, Kitchen 9K(extra heat load from cooking) and a 20K outdoor condensing unit.
-second floor will have three 6K units, one per bdrm, and a 24K condensing unit.
-Both will be heat pumps, Mitsubishi.

Even using the smallest head units Mitsi offers they will be oversized for the bedrooms.
The house has been entirely spray foamed with closed cell. Very tight and efficient.

After HVAC comes the Panasonic whole house ERV with dual DC motors so you can balance/pressurize/de-pressurize the house. The returns will be in the baths and far corners of down stairs common rooms while the fresh air discharge vents will be in the bedrooms and opposite corners of common rooms. Large bath/showers will get additional spot venting. In the future if RH is too high, due to low run time of AC, I can install a whole house dehumidifier and tie into the ERV ducting or use spot dehumidifiers. All ERV piping will be light gauge 4" PVC.

I also need to work on make up air for the dryer and range hood, will have an external exhaust.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheQuig

PostSubject: Re: Residential HVAC   October 6th 2017, 4:26 pm

I speced out Mitsubishi units when I was with the municipal authority, they were the best units at the time.

Diesel Dan

PostSubject: Re: Residential HVAC   October 9th 2017, 11:29 pm

Most pros still think Mitsubishi is still the leader in residential with Fujitsu a close second.
My research shows Mitsi still leading in quietness for indoor units, their hyper-heat is top notch but not needed down here.

Updated my second floor configuration, again.
Going with a 20K outdoor unit, 9K flush mounted cassette for master bedroom and a 9K concealed duct to feed the two smaller bedrooms that share an adjacent interior wall. Even at 4.5K/room it will be slightly oversized but still manageable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Residential HVAC   

Back to top Go down

Residential HVAC
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1