Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Travel Trailer

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
pup

pup

Travel Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Travel Trailer   Travel Trailer EmptySeptember 25th 2017, 10:55 am

Picking up this Travel Trailer on Friday. Traded out of my Harley. I haven't ridden it hardly at all this year, and exactly none since all my heart problems cropped up in April. 2018 K-Z Sportsmen 271BHLE. Bit over 5000 dry with a gross weight of 7000. Should pull fine behind my Ram. It has the 3.92 gears, tow package, factory brake controller, rear locker and is rated to pull 10300.

Travel Trailer Sports15
Travel Trailer Sports16
Travel Trailer Sports18
Travel Trailer Sports17
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

Travel Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Travel Trailer   Travel Trailer EmptySeptember 25th 2017, 7:33 pm

Look similar layout to my 31' Forest River. Mine weighs 6900lbs. dry. I would think your truck could tow that with no problem. The real improvement is to invest in a good weight distribution hitch which controls sway and levels out both vehicles. Don't carry more water than you need when traveling as it can really put too much weight on the hitch. Several times I pulled over at the beginning of a trip to drop 20 gallons or more.

The outside kitchen is nice to have, we use it as much as possible to keep the heat down inside the trailer. I think the best improvement I made was to change out the 20lb propane to 30lb. They last all summer.

Enjoy it, reserve sites as far in advance as possible. On the east coast sites are expensive, I think you will find plenty by you that are reasonable. State Parks are good, but don't always have full hookups.

pup

Travel Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Travel Trailer   Travel Trailer EmptySeptember 25th 2017, 9:31 pm

I did get a good wd/anti-sway hitch included. Tons and tons of spots to stay out this way
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

Travel Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Travel Trailer   Travel Trailer EmptySeptember 27th 2017, 12:16 am

Looks nice, glad you will get to enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

Travel Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Travel Trailer   Travel Trailer EmptySeptember 27th 2017, 5:48 pm

One upgrade you may want to seriously consider is a new decent mattress. None of the trailers I have bought new came with a mattress that I could sleep on without waking up feeling like I slept on the floor.

Diesel Dan

Travel Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Travel Trailer   Travel Trailer EmptySeptember 27th 2017, 8:11 pm

I've woke up on the floor. ....alcohol may or may not have been involved. drunken
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

Travel Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Travel Trailer   Travel Trailer EmptySeptember 28th 2017, 9:16 am

We are thinking on getting a memory foam mattress. The thin thing it comes with just looks uncomfortable.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

Travel Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Travel Trailer   Travel Trailer EmptySeptember 28th 2017, 6:54 pm

While they call mine a Queen sized mattress, it is a bit shorter. We put a 4" gel memory foam topper on ours but it still isn't like sleeping in a bed at home. Camping is more of a pleasure with the RV, if it is pouring rain you just go inside and don't have to worry about a leaking tent. I've camped in the summer many times in the mountains of New Hampshire and woke up to temps in the high 30's a few times. Turn the heat on have breakfast, and by then the sun is up high and the temps go up to normal summer 70's and 80's. Now, with the new mandatory TV broadcast towers I can fall asleep at night while watching TV. I can't just go to bed like some people and fall asleep.
I've done my fair share of tent camping over the years and have enjoyed it a lot, but there is nothing like a good night sleep in a bed.

Diesel Dan

Travel Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Travel Trailer   Travel Trailer EmptyOctober 2nd 2017, 7:55 pm

Glad I got my polar bear badge for sleeping on the frozen ground while I was young!
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

Travel Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Travel Trailer   Travel Trailer EmptyOctober 3rd 2017, 10:50 am

The coldest I have slept outside in a tent was -20 F when I was around 23. I slept inside a mummy bag with another winter bag on the outside. I was warm through the night, but getting up in the morning and putting on cold boots and clothing was a bitch. Now I would keep them inside the bag with me if I were to attempt it again.

Travel Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Travel Trailer   Travel Trailer EmptyOctober 4th 2017, 11:49 am

Did you use the trailer this weekend?
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

Travel Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Travel Trailer   Travel Trailer EmptyOctober 8th 2017, 12:09 pm

We did use it. Truck pulls it fine. Springs are a bit soft on it though.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

Travel Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Travel Trailer   Travel Trailer EmptyOctober 8th 2017, 7:13 pm

pup wrote:
We did use it. Truck pulls it fine. Springs are a bit soft on it though.

Two solutions that you probably already know:
1. Air Bags
2. Helper springs.

My springs at times feel that they could use a helper spring, but not often enough to put them in. I keep the front end of the trailer light, carry only 1/3 of what the water tank that sits up front holds. Air bags would be better as you only air them up when towing while still getting the comfort of the truck when not towing.

Travel Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Travel Trailer   Travel Trailer EmptyOctober 8th 2017, 11:51 pm

Glad you enjoyed it. Sorry I missed you last weekend.
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

Travel Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Travel Trailer   Travel Trailer EmptyOctober 9th 2017, 11:31 am

Do you have 500 or 1000 lb torsion bars for the hitch?
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

Travel Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Travel Trailer   Travel Trailer EmptyOctober 9th 2017, 7:04 pm

Equilizer E2 hitch for a 10000lb trailer. Max tongue weight of 1000lbs, is the one I have.
Back to top Go down
TheQuig

TheQuig

Travel Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Travel Trailer   Travel Trailer EmptyOctober 9th 2017, 7:38 pm

I have a Reese good for 12,000 pounds. I ended up taking off the OEM hitch and putting on a heavy duty Curt.

Diesel Dan

Travel Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Travel Trailer   Travel Trailer EmptyOctober 9th 2017, 11:19 pm

Those 1K bars should be able to lift the rear of the tow vehicle a good amount with that light trailer.
Down side is with them loaded real heavy it can lift a drive wheel off the ground entering a uneven drive/parking lot.

Curt hitches, like them and have bought several different types over the years.
Many products still made in Wisconsin too. Our son bought two 5th wheel hitches from them.
Back to top Go down
erude

Travel Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Travel Trailer   Travel Trailer EmptyOctober 16th 2017, 2:48 am

My gooseneck hitch is a curt. It works but not thrilled. I've had issues with the spring loaded ubolts for safety chains. I took it out to change the bed but decided to just fix it instead and left them out. I'm planning on buying a b&w.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

Travel Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Travel Trailer   Travel Trailer EmptyDecember 4th 2017, 2:59 pm

Travel Trailer Sports12
Travel Trailer Sports11
Travel Trailer Sports10
Few pics of the rig in the wild, with one pic of my co-pilot, Ozz Dog, attempting to navigate.
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

Travel Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Travel Trailer   Travel Trailer EmptyDecember 4th 2017, 9:58 pm

Looks like fun!
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

Travel Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Travel Trailer   Travel Trailer EmptyDecember 5th 2017, 11:28 am

Travel Trailer Champi10
Ordered one of these last week from Cabelas, between the Cyber Week sale price and about $60 worth of Cabelas points, it came out to $242 shipped.

I can do a bit of dry camping now....

Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

Travel Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Travel Trailer   Travel Trailer EmptyDecember 5th 2017, 6:41 pm

Have you ever heard one of those(brand) run?
Cheap ones can get pretty noisy, small Hondas are really quiet.
Back to top Go down
theshyguy

Travel Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Travel Trailer   Travel Trailer EmptyDecember 6th 2017, 10:43 am

Pup, is that an outdoor kitchen you slide out?
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

Travel Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Travel Trailer   Travel Trailer EmptyDecember 6th 2017, 11:01 am

Yes. 2 burner propane, sink and a small fridge.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

Travel Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Travel Trailer   Travel Trailer EmptyDecember 6th 2017, 11:03 am

They run quiet enough for me. Not as loud as the briggs powered units, but not as quiet as the small hondas. I don't use them inside campgrounds, so the delicate won't mind.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Travel Trailer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Travel Trailer   Travel Trailer Empty

Back to top Go down

Travel Trailer
Page 1 of 1