Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dream Pickup

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
theshyguy

Dream Pickup Empty
PostSubject: Dream Pickup   Dream Pickup EmptyMay 17th 2016, 12:05 pm

Lately I have been thinking about what my dream pickup would be. I used to want a brand new F-250 Platinum SuperCrew. But then I realized how much money they cost and the maintenance expenses. Even if I had the money I just cant justify having that much money tied up in a vehicle. So I went largely the opposite direction. I decided I want a pickup very similar to what my dad had on the farm when I was growing up, a white 1989 F-350 single cab 4x4 7.3 NA IDI with a blue interior and manual transmission. I liked the pickup and loved driving it but hated it on long trips because it was single cab and 3 people in it caused for some friction back then. Now I feel like a jerk for acting the way I did.

I want basically the same pickup because the manual transmission will keep most people from wanting to borrow it. The single cab will keep the wife from wanting to take it on trips and me from having the room to clutter it up. I would be fine with an extended cab or Supercrew though. I would also be ok with an automatic transmission as my knees already hurt. I could also do the grey interior but the red interiors hurt my eyes.

The only things I can think of that I would want to do is have the old IDI rebuilt to strengthen it. Add a turbo and put all parts on it for longevity first(upgrade all bearing, headstuds, beefier rods, etc), fuel mileage second(Gearvender over/underdrive) and then power(turbo, bigger injectors, maybe some type of injection....Im in no hurry most of the time). Those engines are mechanical vs electronic like moderns diesels. Same reason a lot of people around here still seek out the old 12v Cummins; simplicity and ease to fix. I can buy a completely rebuilt IDI with some improvements for what it cost to replace a turbo on a new PSD, Duramax or Cummins. They were SLOW engines but we never had any trouble pulling anything. I would also put a flatbed on it and rhino-line or similar to the whole pickup. On the flatbed have a built in air tank, likely in the bumper.

So what is everyone's dream pickup and why? Has it changed over the years?
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

Dream Pickup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Pickup   Dream Pickup EmptyMay 17th 2016, 1:38 pm

I'd like to get hold of an old Jeep Gladiator.
Back to top Go down
Diseasel

Dream Pickup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Pickup   Dream Pickup EmptyMay 18th 2016, 2:03 am

It's a tough question. My pickup needs and desires change every few years. I'm pretty practical now whereas before I might have lusted over a huge displacement gasser sport pickup. Modern diesels are too expensive, too finicky, and have high operating costs. Plus it'd be nice if they developed more robust and efficient diesel emission systems. On the other hand, I've gotten so spoiled I wouldn't want to go back to an older stinky diesel.
Back to top Go down
ggbaird

Dream Pickup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Pickup   Dream Pickup EmptyMay 18th 2016, 6:32 am

AEV Brute Double Cab... yes please!
Back to top Go down
https://pickupownersgroup.forumotion.com/
theshyguy

Dream Pickup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Pickup   Dream Pickup EmptyMay 20th 2016, 1:48 am

I expected more interest in this topic. Seems kinda dead in here.
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

Dream Pickup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Pickup   Dream Pickup EmptyMay 20th 2016, 12:14 pm

So many different dreams to be filled.
I like borrowing our sons '97 Dodge RCLB, 5.9TD/5 sp manual, I'd prefer the '98+ dash myself. Perfect Zombie truck as all it needs to run is a cable to the fuel shutoff and park it on a good sized hill.

I'd consider a VMI 3.0L V6 and 8A auto for a future swap for my GMT400 someday.
3.0L--240HP/420TQ
6.5L--195HP/430TQ

The older trucks had, for the most part, cheap and reliable injection systems. However the newer HPCR run so much smoother, cleaner and quieter. If I was looking for a powertrain swap for an older truck either it'd be a early HPCR with EGR delete or a current engine like the LML dmax with DEF. The DEF greatly reduces the amount of EGR used vs the LMM. And the DEF works, the tail pipe on our 2.0TD Cruze shows no signs of soot at 33K+ miles.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dream Pickup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Pickup   Dream Pickup Empty

Back to top Go down

Dream Pickup
Page 1 of 1