HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Ipod on Vacuum Tubes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Diseasel

PostSubject: Ipod on Vacuum Tubes   April 12th 2013, 11:12 pm

Time to improve that tinny electronic ipod sound with vacuum tube amps. They might not be as reliable but the sound couldn't be any worse. Looks interesting but they ain't cheap.

http://www.fat-man.co.uk/section.php/2/1/products/1828c436f3dd42f731ab03ed813a04b6
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GMC D-Max

PostSubject: Re: Ipod on Vacuum Tubes   April 12th 2013, 11:22 pm

The problem is, the internal components in the iPod (even in the path of the line-out) are crap. There's a long-running thread on head-fi.org about bypassing the internals and inserting your own higher-grade components (whether inside the iPod, or in a plug-in LOD or Line Out Dock cable) to improve the sound.

No matter what, you can't get a pure digital signal out of an iPod, to allow you to use your own D/A converter. Apple has it locked-down, and the line-out is still an analog signal, even though it bypasses the headphone amp. That's really not a big deal, as most iPods have a highly-regarded Wolfson DAC in them. They just have crap after the DAC.

I've got all the stuff to mod one of my 'Pods, a la Red Wine Audio's iMod. It's supposed to make a pretty substantial improvement in the sound, no matter what dock or amp (via LOD) you use.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Diseasel

PostSubject: Re: Ipod on Vacuum Tubes   April 13th 2013, 10:59 am

Yep. The ipod was my first exposure to Apple products and I felt they had poor sound quality and even poor reliability. Typical Apple, style over function.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rustbucket

PostSubject: Re: Ipod on Vacuum Tubes   April 13th 2013, 4:00 pm

Why even bother with an IPod if you are going to do that? ......you need one of these--

Friend has had one for ages ...... killer sound.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GMC D-Max

PostSubject: Re: Ipod on Vacuum Tubes   April 13th 2013, 4:21 pm

rustbucket wrote:
Why even bother with an IPod if you are going to do that? ......you need one of these--

Friend has had one for ages ...... killer sound.

Ummm.... maybe because an iPod is a portable digital audio player, and that Mac amp is not? And that amp will only sound as good as the signal it's fed. Great thing about high-end audio gear: it has the ability to make "decent" sources sound like dog crap. When I switched to a Cowon portable DAP (I have a J3 and a Z2) and a decent set of headphones (Denon D-5000), I realized that a lot of my digital library sounded less than acceptable. Now I'm working on replacing most of my library with lossless rips. Just like in the computing world, GI-GO (Garbage In, Garbage Out) is the rule, not the exception.

You can make an iPod sound great (and reliable, too). It just takes more initiative and skill than most people have.

Now that we're talking about this, I'm getting the itch to go and mod my 'Pod. With my allergies lately (itching eyeballs), I just haven't felt like trying to work while looking through a lighted magnifier...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ipod on Vacuum Tubes   

Back to top Go down

Ipod on Vacuum Tubes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1