Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Maniacal Mashup

Go down 
+3
theshyguy
TheQuig
ggbaird
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ggbaird

Maniacal Mashup Empty
PostSubject: Maniacal Mashup   Maniacal Mashup EmptyFebruary 18th 2016, 8:09 pm

2016 Ford F-150 versus GMC Canyon Duramax

Maniacal Mashup Image12

Quote :
Two of the most reader-requested trucks finally arrived at our doorstep around the same time: The Ford F-150 with the 5.0L V8 and the GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax, so we decided to do one of the mismatched mashups ever. Now, before you get all worked up, we know these two trucks don’t compete with each other. One is a fullsize pickup with a naturally-aspirated V8 and the other is a midsize with an itty bitty 2.8L turbo-diesel. Still, we wanted to see how these two trucks would perform when put against each other head-to-head in a 100-mile towing MPG test and 0-60 mph runs. First, let’s take a quick look at the stats:

Maniacal Mashup Image11

Only 320 pounds separated the gross combined weights of these trucks with the trailer in tow. Which truck do you think achieved better fuel economy while towing the horse trailer weighing 5,600 pounds at highway speeds? That should be a no-brainer. Which truck got better 0-60 mph times? That answer to that question might not be as obvious. Make your predictions in the comments section below before watching the video. In each test, the results might surprise you by just how much the better performing truck did. Also, stay tuned for Ike Gauntlet runs from both trucks, those videos are in the editing booth and will be making their debut soon!

TFL Truck
Back to top Go down
https://pickupownersgroup.forumotion.com/
TheQuig

TheQuig

Maniacal Mashup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maniacal Mashup   Maniacal Mashup EmptyFebruary 18th 2016, 9:04 pm

Interesting video. While I don't tow as much as I should considering I have an 31' RV, I would put the Ford as winner in stability section. The Ford is better in this category as it is a bigger and longer truck.
But, If I were to buy, the GMC would get my business as 99% of the time I am not towing.
While it was hard to do a true side by side comparison I think they came as close as they could to real life use.
I was never a foot to the floor driver, but in towing you do need that power sometimes. 8 cylinder vs. the Colorado 4 cylinder diesel the smaller diesel did okay.
I admit I was surprised the Colorado weighed as much as it did.

Thanks for the post Greg.

Maniacal Mashup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maniacal Mashup   Maniacal Mashup EmptyFebruary 19th 2016, 1:55 am

They look the same size. I hope Ford puts a diesel in the F-150 and Ranger (and maybe the Bronco) soon.
Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

Maniacal Mashup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maniacal Mashup   Maniacal Mashup EmptyFebruary 19th 2016, 2:55 am

And that is why they needed to make a S10 sized truck again.
Only 320lbs seperating them? Wow.
Kinda surprizing how the GMC handled noticelby worse towing with them being so close in weight and towing ability.
Back to top Go down
joemac

joemac

Maniacal Mashup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maniacal Mashup   Maniacal Mashup EmptyFebruary 19th 2016, 11:22 am

Diesel Dan wrote:
And that is why they needed to make a S10 sized truck again.
Only 320lbs seperating them? Wow.
Kinda surprizing how the GMC handled noticelby worse towing with them being so close in weight and towing ability.

Its like comparing an 3/4 ton truck to a 1/2 ton towing the same 9k lbs load.  They're both rated to tow the load, the HD is going to feel more confident and secure pulling the load.  The over 200 HP deficit might also contribute to the confidence while towing, or how the truck handles the weight perception.

The diesel engine adds weight.  http://www.trucktrend.com/features/1511-2016-chevrolet-colorado-2-8l-duramax-diesel-first-drive/

Quote :
Altogether, the weight of the engine and its emissions accessories add between 261 and 301 pounds more than Colorado models equipped with the all-aluminum 3.6L V-6 gasoline engine (and 440 pounds more than the 2.5L I-4 gasser).

Comparing specifications
Wheel base S-10 122.9", Colorado 128.3", Colorado 140.5"
Front track S-10 57.2", Colorado 62.4"
Max towing S-10 5200 lbs, Colorado 7,600 lbs

They're test load was 5600 lbs, the S-10 wouldn't qualify to tow.  None of the S-10 specifications would have made it a better towing truck at 5600 lbs than the Colorado.  

Another way to look at this may be to compare the percentage of total towing capacity used on each truck.  The F-150 was at 62%, Colorado 73%,  S-10 107%.

Another common factors is how much of the trucks life is going to be spent towing 5600 lbs. If it's frequent, the F-150 is likely the better choice. As the weight comes down and or total towing use is less the Colorado/Canyon starts to come into its sweet spot.
Back to top Go down
Hilux

Maniacal Mashup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maniacal Mashup   Maniacal Mashup EmptyFebruary 19th 2016, 12:43 pm

I may not have the best sight but they look nearly the same size , what the hell !
Back to top Go down
theshyguy

Maniacal Mashup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maniacal Mashup   Maniacal Mashup EmptyFebruary 19th 2016, 1:31 pm

Hilux wrote:
I may not have the best sight but they look nearly the same size , what the hell !

Thats what i said!!!

Seems like GM would have been worried about cannibalizing sales of its full size. If I remember correctly, that was part of the rationalization to for GM and Ford to get rid of their compact before along with poor sales and in the Rangers case, cost to redesign it to meet safety standards.
Back to top Go down
joemac

joemac

Maniacal Mashup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maniacal Mashup   Maniacal Mashup EmptyFebruary 19th 2016, 1:53 pm

The Colorado/Canyon are relatively similar in dimensions of the GMT-400 pickup.  Max towing on the GMT-400 1/2 tons was 6500 lbs to 7500 lbs depending on configuration.

To not cannibalize sales of the larger K2XX trucks is why we're not seeing it engineered and rated to tow 10k lbs, nor larger powerplants, V8's etc.  The cost is also a significant differentiator.  As the half tons have gone up market considerably, this created room for a truck of lesser capability to fill the market.

Toyota sells significant volume of mid-sized, mid capability trucks.  There seems to be a market for both.  Sure there's going to be those that cross over, but they are a vast minority as there hasn't been a statistical significant shift supported by any qualifying metric. The products are segmented in size, capability, and price. This strategy appears to have resonated with consumers in the current trend..

Last edited by joemac on February 23rd 2016, 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

Maniacal Mashup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maniacal Mashup   Maniacal Mashup EmptyFebruary 19th 2016, 4:04 pm

The size difference is far more noticeable in real life.

The GM is a nice solid mid-sized truck(by today's standards), but its not what today's half tons are.
Back to top Go down
theshyguy

Maniacal Mashup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maniacal Mashup   Maniacal Mashup EmptyFebruary 20th 2016, 11:30 am

But most people don't use half tons to even a 10th of what hey are capable of. Henceforth, cannibalize the sales of the half tons.

I could tell from the video that the interior is a bit smaller.
Back to top Go down
pup

pup

Maniacal Mashup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maniacal Mashup   Maniacal Mashup EmptyFebruary 20th 2016, 11:47 am

My brother has a GMC Canyon. Its a solid vehicle. It fits the needs of 99% of suburban/urban 1/2 ton buyers. GM got it right with them this time. And if Ford does, they'll sell everyone they make too.

A 2.7 ecoboost in a Colorado/Canyon sized truck would be a winner, if the truck itself were as well planned out and executed as the GM Midsized twins are.

The market is shifting. Just like it shifted 15 years ago when you couldn't get a 1/2ton crew cab, now, CC's dominate the 1/2 ton sales. A short bed regular cab 1/2 is as rare as an honest politician these days.

They made the 1/2 ton trucks bigger and more capable in response to the market, now the market is wanting smaller, similarly capable trucks. GM responded first. Ford is slated to next and Fiat is being Fiat.

Back to top Go down
Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan

Maniacal Mashup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maniacal Mashup   Maniacal Mashup EmptyFebruary 23rd 2016, 12:07 pm

Hilux wrote:
That is why I said GM should have built an S10 sized truck again.
Our GMT400 is big enough, IMO our sons '15 GMC CC DRW D\A is physically too large.
My old S-Blazer I gave my parents is still kicking with ~190K miles and mine is gonna roll 210K this week.

While the NB Colorado is GMT400 sized it can't do the towing of a HD version. I've used it to tow 10K on many occasions and upto 14K for short distances. By todays standards I'm now a "tweener" and don't really know what kind of truck I'd want to buy of the current offerings.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Maniacal Mashup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Maniacal Mashup   Maniacal Mashup Empty

Back to top Go down

Maniacal Mashup
Page 1 of 1